Next Total War Title?

Started by Gusington, February 01, 2012, 01:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I am more excited for Fall of the Samurai than for any Total War title ever, because it hits upon a theme that Total War games have always done well: the advancing of technology and the clash of cultures. Plus the technologies set to be portrayed (Gatling guns, ironclads, railroads, rifles) is just the cat's meow.

That of course gets me thinking...with all these new systems being implemented in a Total War game, where are they planning to go next? I have always hoped for a Victoria: Total War game, with a time frame of [roughly] 1848-1914. Now, to me anyway, this looks like it may actually happen.

What do you think?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Personally, I'd like to see Rome get a facelift.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

^As would most of the community, I think. But with the Victorian era items being added to Shogun, I don't see it going that way...even though Total War is great at doing melee, cold steel combat. I get the vibe they are going to go for the other end of the spectrum. Like dreadnaughts.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Why are you talking about a PC game in the board game section? 

But I'm with JH on this one.  I want Rome 2 with some serious attention put into a Ancient Greece expansion Alexander, Sparta and the Peloponnesian war.

son_of_montfort

Er... wrong forum? Or is there a TW tabletop game I don't know about?  ;)

I think I like JH's idea - a facelift to Rome. Or maybe TW - World War I.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Gusington

My bad, was a mistake. Because I get all giggity when discussing new games. I'll try to move it.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Quote from: Bison on February 01, 2012, 02:05:17 PM

But I'm with JH on this one.  I want Rome 2 with some serious attention put into a Ancient Greece expansion Alexander, Sparta and the Peloponnesian war.
Actually, I would love to see a TW focuses exclusively on ancient Hellas -- as the main game, not just an expansion. 

That, or ancient China (probably the "Spring and Autumn" period, but I'm not picky). 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

^We have Hegemony for Greece.

I would love a Romance of the Three Kingdoms Total War, though...or an Asia Total War.

Still like the Victoria: Total War idea bestest right now.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Quote from: Martok on February 01, 2012, 02:20:21 PM
Quote from: Bison on February 01, 2012, 02:05:17 PM

Actually, I would love to see a TW focuses exclusively on ancient Hellas -- as the main game, not just an expansion. 

That, or ancient China (probably the "Spring and Autumn" period, but I'm not picky). 

I think if they focused on the Greek era like they did with Nappy; it'd be a hell of a game.  Plus I think the TW battles just work better when it's pixels smashing into each other at melee range with ranged support.

TheCommandTent

I to would like to see Rome get some more love especially with the new strategic map.  I think that would be great for that period.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Martok

Quote from: Gusington on February 01, 2012, 02:21:58 PM
^We have Hegemony for Greece.
A specious argument.  By that reasoning, there's no point in CA making Rome 2, since Longbow's next Hegemony title is focusing on Caesar.  :P 

I would love a Romance of the Three Kingdoms Total War, though...or an Asia Total War.
I'd prefer it focus specifically on China.  I still feel CA does their best work when they focus on a smaller area (relatively speaking). 

Still like the Victoria: Total War idea bestest right now.
Ugh.  Only if they seriously amp up the strategic portion of the game. 

Land battles from the 17th century onward bore me to tears.  Naval warfare during that period could be fun, but probably not enough to make up for it IMO. 

Quote from: Bison on February 01, 2012, 02:23:05 PM

I think if they focused on the Greek era like they did with Nappy; it'd be a hell of a game.  Plus I think the TW battles just work better when it's pixels smashing into each other at melee range with ranged support.
Agreed. 

Would also love to see ship combat represented during that era.  Just let me ram some Persian ships with my triremes! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Bison

I believe Gus was referring to the MTW2 Hegemony mod.

Gusington

No the Hegemony games from Longbow!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Is this the time to mention that those two games play nothing alike?

Gusington

Of course it is! I finally bought a copy of Hegemony Gold but haven't jumped in yet. I know peeps here have raved about it.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd