Napoleon Era PC War Games

Started by Grim.Reaper, January 11, 2014, 07:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 11, 2014, 10:16:53 AM
Quote from: agathosdaimon on January 11, 2014, 10:11:53 AM
http://www.gamesquad.com/review/campaigns-danube

Heremis a detailed review, i cant recall where i read the full aar though

Thank you and a very nice review....seems like a game I might enjoy, especially without a ton of micromanagement.

Here is a link to a mini AAR....does have me intrigued.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=580012&mpage=1&key=&#589155

ComradeP

Like many conflicts that are represented in PC gaming, the Napoleonic wars don't really have any recent good operational level game covering them, at least not one I'm aware of. Most of the wargames are turn-based/real-time tactical or strategic (anything by Ageod).
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Rayfer

Campaigns on the Danube remains on sale on the Matrix site for $12.99. Just a couple of days left in their holiday sale.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Rayfer on January 11, 2014, 11:13:51 AM
Campaigns on the Danube remains on sale on the Matrix site for $12.99. Just a couple of days left in their holiday sale.

My only concern is that I am running windows 8.1 and whether it will work...seems like people were hit and miss with issues running in vista,  win 7' so can only imagine might be an issue with win 8.

bobarossa

Since Fields of Glory was mentioned I'd like to add Austerlitz and Waterloo by Turcan games.  They were for the Atari and Amiga but also had PC DOS releases.  You acted as Napoleon issuing orders and reading reports.  You could only see what would be visible from you location on the battlefield.  I actually didn't have either of those but did have Borodino which was not released for PC.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: bobarossa on January 11, 2014, 12:12:59 PM
Since Fields of Glory was mentioned I'd like to add Austerlitz and Waterloo by Turcan games.  They were for the Atari and Amiga but also had PC DOS releases.  You acted as Napoleon issuing orders and reading reports.  You could only see what would be visible from you location on the battlefield.  I actually didn't have either of those but did have Borodino which was not released for PC.

Added them to the list....

Anguille

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 11, 2014, 08:48:21 AM
My all time favorite was from microprose in 1994. Fields of Glory...what a spectacular game.

Same here...still launch it from time to time.  ;)

bobarossa

Quote from: Anguille on January 11, 2014, 12:22:41 PM
My all time favorite was from microprose in 1994. Fields of Glory...what a spectacular game.

Then you had better add it to your signature!!!!

vyshka

Quote from: bobarossa on January 11, 2014, 12:12:59 PM

Were those the games that used Sid Meier's Gettysburg engine?

E: Nope looks like something else.

Quote from: wikipedia
The engine was also used for the Napoleonic game Waterloo: Napoleon's Last Battle (as was a modified version for Austerlitz: Napoleon's Greatest Victory), both by BreakAway Games.

agathosdaimon

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 11, 2014, 11:19:41 AM

My only concern is that I am running windows 8.1 and whether it will work...seems like people were hit and miss with issues running in vista,  win 7' so can only imagine might be an issue with win 8.

i am sure you will be able to get it workign in win 8 - it runs in win 7 for me with just a few compat settings selected - i personally think it is worth the risk to get it - its not graphically a demanding game and can just run in a window

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: agathosdaimon on January 12, 2014, 08:12:24 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 11, 2014, 11:19:41 AM

i am sure you will be able to get it workign in win 8 - it runs in win 7 for me with just a few compat settings selected - i personally think it is worth the risk to get it - its not graphically a demanding game and can just run in a window

I did end up buying it, just haven't had time to fully play yet.  So I am holding you accountable for my $12:)  It did seem to at least start OK.  Biggest issue for me in my few minutes was the screen resolutions available.   Really only takes up a small space on my screen versus maximizing....I guess that is understandable since the game was released so long ago when today's resolutions weren't prevalent.

Hopefully the gameplay turns out to be fun and challenging....

agathosdaimon

cool i hope you can enjoy it and - its not at all complex regarding what you cna do each turn and of course if you play with full fog of war then the positions of your own units that is showing may not be accurate depending on how long it took the message to get back . the AI also must received information the same way, ie it doesnt cheat so to speak

I have been playing the 1805 scenario and wasnt sure where exactly the coalition armies were, but have not got reports back of some massive dinosaur of austrian army and i realised my army hospital has not been position well to stem the flow of woundeds  coming from some smaller clashes surrounding the austrians - its a great game and one that you cant win by just simply throwing armies at the enemy.

I will be keen though to play the 1809 scenario too as i am reading Crisis on the Danube at the moment and its thrilling stuff!

Grim.Reaper

Thanks for the info....it does seem like it will be fun an interesting, especially since you don't have to micromanage.  Just curious, do you ever give your divisions direct orders or do you keep everything at the corp level?

agathosdaimon

well you can find specific divisions -using the tree at the top of hte screen options - being able to move units directly though is not possible unlessyou remove the FOW

actually my bad also i was confusing things - i have this game and also the first one in the serios - Campaigns of La Grande Armee 1806 which i had to work the comp settings a bit for but CotD runs like a dream and has a much different interface arrangement.  you can detach divisions and give them their specific orders or leave them attached and give them orders, but exclude them from receiving different orders if such occur at a higher level - of course any new orders would have a time to take to reach the divsion and that could change things itself.

Anguille

Quote from: bobarossa on January 11, 2014, 03:58:46 PM
Quote from: Anguille on January 11, 2014, 12:22:41 PM

Then you had better add it to your signature!!!!
You're right, i should change it...