Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Yeah, no gimmicks here. 

I whipped it out and showed it to my wife this evening.  Her jaw was absolutely agape as I slid my Sidewinder into the slot and then deployed its load onto the surface.

Then I showed her planetary landings in Elite.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

I tried to land on one and it told me I needed some piece of kit to go any closer. I thought about where I might buy such a piece of kit, how much it might cost me, checked out my wallet and then closed it down and went to play DCS

I have no patience at all ;D
Alba gu' brath

Toonces

Quote from: SirAndrewD on December 15, 2015, 10:08:41 PM
Yeah, no gimmicks here. 

I whipped it out and showed it to my wife this evening.  Her jaw was absolutely agape as I slid my Sidewinder into the slot and then deployed its load onto the surface.

Then I showed her planetary landings in Elite.

Well done, Sir.

My Sidewinder slept on the couch last night, with the dog.   :-[
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 16, 2015, 01:24:35 AM
I tried to land on one and it told me I needed some piece of kit to go any closer. I thought about where I might buy such a piece of kit, how much it might cost me, checked out my wallet and then closed it down and went to play DCS

Yikes.  I've heard of that happening.  It's actually a bug.  From what I understand it seems to be mostly happening to Alpha/Beta backers with the expansion pass.  Luckily didn't happen to me though.

Every ship was supposed to automatically have one installed on the update.

I'm not sure you can buy one on a station at all. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JudgeDredd

oh...

I was on a Sidey...maybe it was the ship? Are all ships capable?

When you've fitted your ship with the new Planetary Landing Suite and Planetary Landing Bay, you will see Elite Dangerous from a whole new perspective

Alba gu' brath

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 16, 2015, 03:38:43 PM
oh...

I was on a Sidey...maybe it was the ship? Are all ships capable?

When you've fitted your ship with the new Planetary Landing Suite and Planetary Landing Bay, you will see Elite Dangerous from a whole new perspective

My Sidey in the garage had one fitted when I pulled it out to practice landings.  My Python and Vulture had one fitted as well. 

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to have one on the house.

JudgeDredd

lol - oh well.

Thanks though...I'll fire it up in a bit and see if it's fitted now...I know it wasn't before - the game said something about me not going any closer without the Planetary kit of some sort.
Alba gu' brath

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 16, 2015, 03:46:48 PM
lol - oh well.

Thanks though...I'll fire it up in a bit and see if it's fitted now...I know it wasn't before - the game said something about me not going any closer without the Planetary kit of some sort.

Yeah, you need a planetary landing suite.  It's got its own module slot and comes stock on all new ships, hence they were supposed to put one on all current ships after the upgrade. 

Ok, here's the official manual, and it says that you SHOULD have one fitted on upgrade, but if you don't you can buy one. 

That's kind of lame unless the kit is super cheap.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/348

Father Ted

Quote from: mikeck on December 15, 2015, 08:58:17 PM
Quote from: IronX on December 15, 2015, 08:43:02 PM
Ah, okay. That may be the reason why. Unfortunately there's no way I would buy the whole game again just for the expansion. An odd choice for the developer, assuming it was their decision.

Maybe I misunderstand you, but you shouldn't have to buy the game again. It's just a (sort of quasi) expansion. Did you purchase Elite Dangerous from Steam or Frontier?

Must admit I'm somewhat pissed off with E:D.  I bought the base game for £40, and now, if I want Horizons I can pay an extra £30 for it, whereas new buyers get the whole package for £40.

Jarhead0331

The JD black cloud strikes again!

Hey, don't be too miffed...it could be worse. When I booted up the release build last night after updating from beta, my control configuration had reset and for some reason, the axis controls on both my flight stick and throttle were all inverted. It caused total confusion and chaos on launch from Haxel Port which resulted in my ultimate destruction. That little bit cost me $330,000 in insurance deductibles to repurchase my fully outfitted Vulture.  I called it a night after that little episode.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

PanzersEast

One of the reasons I stopped playing Elite was waiting on this.... and well, was it worth the wait to those who have landed?

PE

Jarhead0331

Quote from: PanzersEast on December 16, 2015, 04:42:44 PM
and well, was it worth the wait to those who have landed?

PE

Yes. It adds an entirely new dimension to the game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 16, 2015, 04:08:52 PM

The JD black cloud strikes again!

Hey, don't be too miffed...it could be worse. When I booted up the release build last night after updating from beta, my control configuration had reset and for some reason, the axis controls on both my flight stick and throttle were all inverted. It caused total confusion and chaos on launch from Haxel Port which resulted in my ultimate destruction. That little bit cost me $330,000 in insurance deductibles to repurchase my fully outfitted Vulture.  I called it a night after that little episode.
lol

I'm not pissed about it. Very nonchalant actually. I was just pointing out I tried it and decided, at that particular time, I had no desire to go find the kit to perform the landing.

I'll revisit I'm sure.  8)

And your story reminds me of the time I was cocky with take off thinking I was some super pilot and went firing off through the exit - except I never got through the exit - and I didn't have enough insurance and lost the ship I had just upgraded to.
Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

Just to clarify; there currently is NO WAY to land on atmospheric planets. Just the ones without one.

The 'turbulence' people are going on about is not from an atmosphere but from physics effects of the thrusters because you are on the edge of supercruise / Orbital cruise and normal thruster assisted flight.
The ships don't have proper wings so they generally all generate lift by means of their thrusters. As was explained by Sammarco in a recent livestream.

So its no bug that we have 'turbulence' on planets without any atmosphere.

And the seamless Transition from space to surface is just freaking awesome!!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."