Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

They treat Horizons like Elite 2.  Totally separate and not DLC.  Because I guess there will also be DLC's for Horizons in the works.
The $45 mentioned before is the discounted price for existing owners.

sandman2575

Quote from: Father Ted on December 16, 2015, 03:52:11 PM
Quote from: mikeck on December 15, 2015, 08:58:17 PM
Quote from: IronX on December 15, 2015, 08:43:02 PM
Ah, okay. That may be the reason why. Unfortunately there's no way I would buy the whole game again just for the expansion. An odd choice for the developer, assuming it was their decision.

Maybe I misunderstand you, but you shouldn't have to buy the game again. It's just a (sort of quasi) expansion. Did you purchase Elite Dangerous from Steam or Frontier?

Must admit I'm somewhat pissed off with E:D.  I bought the base game for £40, and now, if I want Horizons I can pay an extra £30 for it, whereas new buyers get the whole package for £40.

Sorry I missed your post, FT --

There's a lot to be impressed by with E:D, but overall I still have mixed feelings about it -- too mixed to drop another $45 on it at the moment. I can hold out for a sale.

Yskonyn

I do find it weird that Frontier didn't allow people who pre-ordered Horizons, without owning the base game, access to Elite:Dangerous until release of Horizons; until a week before launch that is. Then suddenly people were allowed to play afterall.

I also feel for those who recently bought Elite and need to drop cash soon after for Horizons, since I feel Frontier should have suspended E:D sales the moment Horizons was on pre-order and should have allowed people to start playing with their pre-order.

I do not feel bad for those, like me, who were there at launch and now have to pay for Horizons. We were there at launch, had a full year of entertainment from the product and now it moves to the next phase and people need to buy its expansion.
Business as usual, IMO.

(RANT mode on (official forums))
People who didn't keep tabs on the game, for whatever reason, and find out they now need to pay 'again' (for a product they didn't use very much after initial launch) for the next season and start to make a fuss about it should just take a hike. You weren't interested in it very long after initial release. Your problem. Doesn't mean Frontier should stop trying to run a company that earns its employees a living. Nobody's forcing you to pay.(RANT off)

:)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

jomni

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 18, 2015, 09:09:29 AM
(RANT mode on (official forums))
People who didn't keep tabs on the game, for whatever reason, and find out they now need to pay 'again' (for a product they didn't use very much after initial launch) for the next season and start to make a fuss about it should just take a hike. You weren't interested in it very long after initial release. Your problem. Doesn't mean Frontier should stop trying to run a company that earns its employees a living. Nobody's forcing you to pay.(RANT off)

:)

That's me!!!!  Good advice.

PanzersEast

Well that rant is not valid, making a living by not treating your customers fairly is not making a living for long or making loyal customers..... so that logic does not hold.  I guess I will hold out for another couple of $50 expansions before I jump back in, by then I will just pay $50 while others would have paid $200.

PE

Jarhead0331

I had some exciting combat last night. I was bounty hunting near a high intensity resource zone and got into a huge furball with dozens of wanted criminals. I had a few Federal Eagles and Vipers fighting with me, but we were seriously outgunned. I ended up actually getting destroyed by an Imperial Clipper. This is the first time I've been defeated in combat in a very long time. I was frustrated by the loss of about $500,000 in bounties, plus the $325,000 in insurance deductibles to repurchase my Vulture, but I went right back in and ended up walking away with another $1,000,000 in bounties to end the evening ahead in the black. I have over $10,000,000 in the bank, which for me, is the most I have ever collected.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Quote from: PanzersEast on December 18, 2015, 10:20:29 AM
Well that rant is not valid, making a living by not treating your customers fairly is not making a living for long or making loyal customers..... so that logic does not hold.  I guess I will hold out for another couple of $50 expansions before I jump back in, by then I will just pay $50 while others would have paid $200.

PE

We shall just have to agree to disagree then.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

PanzersEast

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 18, 2015, 12:19:15 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on December 18, 2015, 10:20:29 AM

PE

We shall just have to agree to disagree then.

True, and really in the end is just an individuals decision, not really a right or wrong... who knows, maybe I will break down and purchase  :crazy2:

PE

Yskonyn

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 18, 2015, 10:28:16 AM
I had some exciting combat last night. I was bounty hunting near a high intensity resource zone and got into a huge furball with dozens of wanted criminals. I had a few Federal Eagles and Vipers fighting with me, but we were seriously outgunned. I ended up actually getting destroyed by an Imperial Clipper. This is the first time I've been defeated in combat in a very long time. I was frustrated by the loss of about $500,000 in bounties, plus the $325,000 in insurance deductibles to repurchase my Vulture, but I went right back in and ended up walking away with another $1,000,000 in bounties to end the evening ahead in the black. I have over $10,000,000 in the bank, which for me, is the most I have ever collected.

I general I find that the AI is able to put up a much better fight as it is currently. They make use of effective chaff tactics, boom and zoom tactics and to top it off; the level of the foe now actually seems something to really take note of.

I am enjoying myself very much. But I have mainly focussed on RES hunting. I am curious about Exploration, but I keep reading complaints about how there isn't really an incentive to go out there. And that is making me think twice about spending my limited playtime...

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 18, 2015, 02:27:12 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 18, 2015, 10:28:16 AM

I general I find that the AI is able to put up a much better fight as it is currently. They make use of effective chaff tactics, boom and zoom tactics and to top it off; the level of the foe now actually seems something to really take note of.

I agree...the Combat AI has definitely been improved. In solo play, I used to tangle with anything without thinking twice. Now, you really need to look at your surroundings, the skill level of your target and the ship they are flying. Last night I ran into a wing of 3 that consisted of an anaconda and two vultures. There were no federal forces in range so I decided to leave them be. In the past, I would have engaged instantly.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Kushan

Anyone else feeling liked they tweaked the interdiction rate higher? Could just be just shitty RNG but it seems like every system I go to I've either been interdicted.

Last night I had 3 interdictions in a row by imperial navy looking for contraband/bounties. I would leave and then it would happen again. I've complained about this before but this is just ridiculously stupid. I cant get anything done with this happening.

Combat AI definitely seemed improved. Got interdicted by a diamondback explorer last night in my Cobra mk3. Normally my lasers and gatling guns are able to eat most things for lunch, not this thing. I managed to sta behind him  and get some hits in but barely a dent to his shields. When he finally got a shot a me, he took off all my shields and 40% of my hull in one pass. Needless to say I stored the weapons and threw everything into engines and got the hell outta there.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Kushan on December 20, 2015, 11:36:37 AM
Anyone else feeling liked they tweaked the interdiction rate higher? Could just be just shitty RNG but it seems like every system I go to I've either been interdicted.

Last night I had 3 interdictions in a row by imperial navy looking for contraband/bounties. I would leave and then it would happen again. I've complained about this before but this is just ridiculously stupid. I cant get anything done with this happening.

Combat AI definitely seemed improved. Got interdicted by a diamondback explorer last night in my Cobra mk3. Normally my lasers and gatling guns are able to eat most things for lunch, not this thing. I managed to sta behind him  and get some hits in but barely a dent to his shields. When he finally got a shot a me, he took off all my shields and 40% of my hull in one pass. Needless to say I stored the weapons and threw everything into engines and got the hell outta there.

I have not been interdicted once since the Horizons upgrade. It could be bad luck, or have something to do with the sector of space you are in. I'm in Federal Territory.

Your situation with the Diamond Back doesn't sound like an AI issue, it sounds like something changed with respect to weapon and/or armor strength, but I have not noticed any differences there. But I do agree based on my own experiences, the combat AI is definitely much improved.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Kushan

Took on a standard delivery mission tonight. But when I got to the target system the station that I'm supposed to be delivering my goods to isn't there. I flew around the system  thinking it was unexplored but got nothing. I was in the same system a few days ago hunting pirates and never saw it then either. Anyone ever seen this before? Is it possible the station was destroyed at some point?
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat

Yskonyn

I don't think stations can be destroyed.

I have seen this before but it was always due to the fact that the system was not (completely) Explored yet.
Especially systems with more than one star might have rather big distances within the system itself. And I believe if you didnt discover the other star yet you wont see the planets and stations in Orbit around it either.

You can also check its existence on the EDDB website.

Kushan

Quote from: Yskonyn on January 02, 2016, 02:41:51 AM
I don't think stations can be destroyed.

I have seen this before but it was always due to the fact that the system was not (completely) Explored yet.
Especially systems with more than one star might have rather big distances within the system itself. And I believe if you didnt discover the other star yet you wont see the planets and stations in Orbit around it either.

You can also check its existence on the EDDB website.

I did a quick google search and supposedly the stations exists but I flew around all 3 stars in the system without seeing anything. The loss of 20,000 credits was more annoying then anything.

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat