WarNo by Eugen - aka WARGAME 4

Started by Destraex, December 17, 2021, 01:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

This is slightly off-topic, but probably my favorite wargame system is the courier system in Scourge of War.  I absolutely love playing that game as the commander giving written orders to my troops vs. clicking on them and using arrows or waypoints or whatever to get them to do what I want.  Telling a unit to "move to this point and form up on the left of Jackson, facing west.  Defend your position" is so much easier to convey what I want a unit to do than clicking on the map.

I'm not entirely sure how an order system like that could be implemented in a game like WARNO, but man, it sure would be cool if developers could build more games using the SoW system.  For me at least.  I can't imagine it'd be hugely popular with the youngsters.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on January 23, 2022, 02:37:37 PM
This is slightly off-topic, but probably my favorite wargame system is the courier system in Scourge of War.  I absolutely love playing that game as the commander giving written orders to my troops vs. clicking on them and using arrows or waypoints or whatever to get them to do what I want.  Telling a unit to "move to this point and form up on the left of Jackson, facing west.  Defend your position" is so much easier to convey what I want a unit to do than clicking on the map.

I'm not entirely sure how an order system like that could be implemented in a game like WARNO, but man, it sure would be cool if developers could build more games using the SoW system.  For me at least.  I can't imagine it'd be hugely popular with the youngsters.

You haven't played Grand Tactician: The Civil War, have you?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Skoop

I'd agree with jarhead, you really have to check out grand tactician civil war.  It's has all the elements of sow but with a really deep strategic layer.  There's also over a dozen historical battles if you want to jump into to the battles with out the strategic layer.

The_Admiral

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 20, 2022, 01:58:29 PM
Yeah. Surprisingly, I'm holding off for now. Just sounds like there is not a lot there in this early build and there is a lot of work remaining. Does seem like they released early to get the jump on Regiments and Broken Arrow. Eugen has never done an EA release before as far as I know.

Actually Eugen has commented on that just a few hours ago under a youtube video (little known scoop I guess!) about this rather common hypothesis - maybe they were frustrated by its popularity, considering it implies they're afraid of something, or whatever - but the point is that they deny the two games having anything to do with their EA a strategy.

Doesn't mean they didn't need the cash though of course :) That is another story (and a rather successful one so far - 1400 reviews in the first week is a solid performance).
But I am ready to believe that these are all disconnected. Regiments is really close to another genre (much closer, design-wise, than World in Conflict or even Ground Control actually - Eugen has a kind word for Soundwolf, the designer) and Broken Arrow is just in too early a state at that point to be released in an immediate future, from the little we could see in the reveal.

Destraex

Admiral have you got a link to that review with the Eugen interview?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

The_Admiral

Nah it ain't no interview, just the game designer giving his opinion, and that's just a small friendly nod :)
But here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCLtvKQGF94

Under the comment that reads (sic) "Responce for me,is No!"

Destraex

Got it. THx :) Drydock dream games is you?

"
Nannunbgd
2 days ago
Responce for me,is No!

Sherman
Sherman

2 days ago
Well yeah, ofc you can disagree, and I don't think WARNO is an absolute shit game, I just think they released something too soon to counter Broken Arrow which means Id rather play Regiments for now

Douglas Santos. TI
Douglas Santos. TI
2 days ago
Whoever has the most units wins.

Stephan Hernandez
Stephan Hernandez
2 days ago (edited)
@Douglas Santos. TI  we will have 600 for WARNO

Stephan Hernandez
Stephan Hernandez
2 days ago (edited)
@Sherman  we don't release WARNO for « counter » anything, even if we wanted, it's impossible for a team to react in a so short time. And we think Regiment is a cool game !

Dark Memes
Dark Memes
2 days ago
@Stephan Hernandez  Are you a dev for Warno or something or are you getting paid to say this lmao?

Stephan Hernandez
Stephan Hernandez
1 day ago
@Dark Memes  i'm a dev. You can find me in the credits of all our games since AoW.

Dark Memes
Dark Memes
1 day ago
@Stephan Hernandez  Oh, ok, cool. I have a couple of questions, Why did Warno come into early access, with a $30 price tag even though it is unfished, and would the campaign be released during EA or after release? I like the general foundations and features laid in WARNO, and I appreciate the detail you and the other devs put into the game, but, referring back to my first question, going to EA ultimately hurt the game, and most of the community were dissatisfied. Although their expectations were high for EA, you have to understand that their expectations are the result of anticipation for another Wargame esque game for years and their high standards for Eugen to deliver it properly. Do not get deterred from criticism, but I hope that Eugen could eventually achieve their goals for Warno momentarily.

Stephan Hernandez
Stephan Hernandez
1 day ago
@Dark Memes  We put game in early acess because we want to improve the games with all the player base. The price is for the full game, not just for the EA. And the content will be deliver during that time. Buying game in EA is just a way to help us improve the game and test it before other, and at the end, get the full game but with a discount. We understand that's not for everyone, and waiting 1 or 2 month to see if things will improve is a fair move. The feedbacks we already received are very important and fixed soon. It's a very efficient way to improve game with the community. Check our discord for more feedbacks from the community feelings about this strategy ?

Drydock Dreams Games
Drydock Dreams Games
1 day ago
@Stephan Hernandez  C'est sympa d'avoir un petit mot doux pour le collègue de Regiments! Me suis empressé de transmettre au détour d'une convo dans les chat des copains, je suis sûr qu'il sera très touché. Meilleurs voeux de réussite à toute l'équipe, vous tenez le bon bout, et vive la French touch ^^

Stephan Hernandez
Stephan Hernandez
1 day ago
@Drydock Dreams Games  Merci ! Et oui, son boulot est assez hallucinant effectivement ! Chapeau."
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

fran

I've played 12 battles of WARNO. In no particular order here are my thoughts. The game is surprisingly stable and bug-free. I had one in-game battle freeze. I enjoy the breakneck pace of it. Yes, it is ridiculously fast, but I enjoy that the fast jets are just that now...

The maps and detailed terrain is excellent. With the game balance to come, I'm sure we will have a worthy Red Dragon successor (minus the naval action hopefully) with the best bits of Steel Division incorporated.

Interestingly they have done away with the FOB supply bases, and one can place recon outside one's starting position. You can also 'sell back', send your transport off-map if you wish. The SD line of sight tool is now available. The damage models of units destroyed are more detailed.

ps always happy to play multiplayer my Steam nickname is Franatic  ;D

Gusington

Thanks fran - definitely still on my list to buy, but maybe not immediately.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

fran

Good to see the frequent updates, this week 2 new maps with the patch. The Devs are also trying out new things, couple of updates back they removed the need to have a cv in your starting areas to ensure a live spawn point. To counter cv sniping. I think it is a good thing, fast paced enough as it is.

The next content release contains the first East/West German battle groups. Hello Leopard 2 tank and Tornado IDS strike aircraft. The latter will feature its trademark MW-1 cluster dispenser.

https://www.instagram.com/eugensystems/

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

fran

Impressed with the stable state of the early access game. I had one CTD so far. And can easily handle 10vs10 games.

Tripoli

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 23, 2022, 04:44:57 PM
Quote from: Toonces on January 23, 2022, 02:37:37 PM

You haven't played Grand Tactician: The Civil War, have you?

I'm with Toonces on this one-The Scourge of war courier system is awesome.  I think the US military has used it to teach JOs how to write clear, easily understandable orders.  While I like GTTCW, the order system there is more abstracted, although it does incorporate the order delay.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

SirAndrewD

Yeah, I'm having trouble jumping on the train on this one.  Partly that's colored by some very hostile youtube reviews of the EA state, but mostly it's because I'm really enjoying the Regiments playtest and I'm leaning a lot more in that direction. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback