Back to Suez '73

Started by MengJiao, August 15, 2022, 10:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Well...I turned down the Isreali logistics and slowed their mobilization, added some goodies for the Egyptians.  They aren't depressed, but 2nd Army is
having unusual trouble (morning of the 8th):

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 15, 2022, 10:38:35 AM

Well...I turned down the Isreali logistics and slowed their mobilization, added some goodies for the Egyptians.  They aren't depressed, but 2nd Army is

By the 9th, things are looking odd for the Egyptians -- 3rd Army is doing fine and 2nd Army is having a lot of trouble:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 15, 2022, 06:26:04 PM

By the 9th, things are looking odd for the Egyptians -- 3rd Army is doing fine and 2nd Army is having a lot of trouble:

On the morning of the 12th ... Last chance for an Egyptian offensive and on the 13th the Israelis can cross the canal (I guess because historically that's when it was decided to cross), but
even more historically, I would guess it will take a few days to get over if at all.  Historically the IAF was starting to knock out SAM sites north to south (I guess because the SAMs on the med were
open sort of on the Med side)...here's the situation toward the south on the 12th:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 18, 2022, 08:29:14 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on August 15, 2022, 06:26:04 PM

On the morning of the 12th ... Last chance for an Egyptian offensive and on the 13th the Israelis can cross the canal (I guess because historically that's when it was decided to cross), but
even more historically, I would guess it will take a few days to get over if at all.  Historically the IAF was starting to knock out SAM sites north to south (I guess because the SAMs on the med were
open sort of on the Med side)...here's the situation toward the south on the 12th:

By the 14th...I think Egypt would accept a ceasefire.  The Third army escaped two traps, but the 2nd army has been chopped up pretty badly.  The Saggers didn't do much at all
this time around (purely random).  So I'm giving up on the Egyptians for the time being.

Sir Slash

Well played anyway.  :clap:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 18, 2022, 09:32:53 PM
Well played anyway.  :clap:

In most versions of the Suez front, I can keep the Egyptians functional.  I suspect this version is closer to reality in that the real defeat of Israel did happen and it happened very early.
Essentially the Egyptians won on the 6,7,8,9 crossing the canal in force and holding off the counter-attacks.  But then they blew it by not accepting the early ceasefire and by trying to help Syria.
  So there are really
Two wars on the Suez: one the Egyptians won (which really freaked out the Israelis) and the other beginning with the Israeli decision to go after Egypt once the Golan was stabilized.  Once
the Israelis decided to go all-out against Egypt -- well it was only a question of how far they would get before the ceasefire (after all the IAF was already taking the SAMs down by the 12th).
And this game shows this very well -- only on the political track can the Egyptians win.