Standing Under an Atomic Bomb Blast

Started by TheCommandTent, July 19, 2012, 07:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

QuoteFifty-five years ago today, five Army officers and a photographer stood directly under a 2-kiloton atomic blast at the Nevada Test Site, about 65 miles northwest of Las Vegas, and survived.

The five officers, who volunteered for the duty, and the cameraman, who did not, designated the July 19, 1957, test site with a hand-lettered sign as "Ground Zero, Population 5," KPLU, a Seattle/Tacoma-based NPR station, said in a story marking the 55th anniversary of the blast.

The intent of the Cold War test was to film the officers surviving the blast and convince U.S. military leaders of the time that using low-grade nuclear missiles in the air would be relatively safe for people on the ground, KPLU reported.

A movie, obtained from government archives by AtomCentral.com, shows two F-89 jets zooming into view and one shooting off the missile carrying the atomic warhead. The officers are shown waiting during a countdown for the missile to detonate 18,500 feet above them. One officer, wearing sunglasses, looks up as the warhead explodes, at first in silence, followed by a roar, after which the sky goes black and the air turns to fire.

This is crazy.  I had no idea anything like this happened. 

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/19/12834002-55-years-ago-6-stood-under-atomic-bomb-blast-on-purpose?lite

Make sure and watch the video.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Barthheart

Staggerwing

Early on in the 50's the DoD (DoW then?) had entire infantry units out in the open during tests to see what would happen. And these were not at 18 thousand feet up but fixed above ground tests. The public was not made aware of this until sometime in the last 20 years.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

besilarius

There is an old Hollywood chestnut that an atomic bomb blast contributed to John Wayne's death.
For his movie, the Barbarian, in which he plays Genghis Khan, to get things right, the studio dug up a ton of dirt from Nevada for the studio scenes.
What no one recognized was that they got the dirt from a bomb explosion site.
When this came out after his death, people assumed the dirt was radioactive and killed him over time.
Course, it took about twenty years, so this seems like a real stretch.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

LongBlade

Quote from: besilarius on July 19, 2012, 08:07:07 PM
There is an old Hollywood chestnut that an atomic bomb blast contributed to John Wayne's death.
For his movie, the Barbarian, in which he plays Genghis Khan, to get things right, the studio dug up a ton of dirt from Nevada for the studio scenes.
What no one recognized was that they got the dirt from a bomb explosion site.
When this came out after his death, people assumed the dirt was radioactive and killed him over time.
Course, it took about twenty years, so this seems like a real stretch.

Yeah, like the smoking didn't have anything to do with it either.

A radioactive dirt bath probably didn't help, though.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 19, 2012, 07:54:36 PMEarly on in the 50's the DoD (DoW then?)

It was DoD.  DoW and DoN were combined in 1948.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

eyebiter

Back in the 50's western movies would film down wind of the Nevada test site.  Who knows how much fallout they were exposed to. The above ground test times were usually published in the local paper so people could picnic and watch the atomic tests.

eyebiter

GDS_Starfury

IIRC there was at least a platoon on troops that were given LSD during one of those tests.
the bomb went off and they were told to charge towards the mushroom cloud.
urban legend... maybe.  with everything else our government has done... most probably.
what a bad frakkin trip that would have been.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

eyebiter

The soldiers walk toward the atomic bomb footage

"Operation Tumbler-Snapper was a series of atomic tests conducted by the United States in the spring of 1952 at the Nevada Test Site."

The blast is at 2:50 and the troops get out of their foxholes and start walking at 3:30. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ0WQcXSAbY

TheCommandTent

Knowing what we know now its crazy watching those videos.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Shelldrake

Sometimes DOD wanted to use other friendly nation's troops as guinea pigs!

QuotePreviously top secret documents have shown that even as the world was outlawing chemical weapons at the height of the Cold War, Washington sought Canberra's permission to test sarin and VX gas on diggers in remote Queensland.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10520276
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell