And then Lockheed Martin said "Let there be fusion!" -- and there might be.

Started by JasonPratt, October 20, 2014, 07:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

http://www.forbes.com/sites/williampentland/2014/10/15/lockheed-martin-claims-fusion-breakthrough-that-could-change-world-forever/

Maybe.  :coolsmiley:

Surely nothing bad will come from a fusion reactor small enough to carried by a truck in a trailer!  :uglystupid2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Martok

Not to sound like a Negative Nellie, but I'll believe it when I see it. 

Not that I don't think we'll see fusion power eventually, because I do.  However, I've read/heard of so many fusion projects in the last 15-20 years, that I'm naturally skeptical at this point. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bbmike

Quote from: Martok on October 20, 2014, 07:43:27 AM
Not to sound like a Negative Nellie, but I'll believe it when it. 

Not that I don't think we'll see fusion power eventually, because I do.  However, I've read/heard of so many fusion projects in the last 15-20 years, that I'm naturally skeptical at this point.

+1. We've heard this story before.  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

QuoteTom McGuire, who heads the project, told Reuters that his team had been working on fusion energy at Lockheed's Skunk Works program for the past four years,...

So... in 4 years they have solved what hasn't been in the last 50...... :coolsmiley:

Containing all the heat/energy is not the only problem. It's getting the fusion reaction to start in the first place without using more energy than you will get out of it.

I'll believe it when the first Trailer Fusion Reactor is driven off the lot.

JasonPratt

Also, containing and directing it, if using magnetics. Sounds like no problem, until one realizes how much energy the magnetics must be burning (so to speak) to make that happen.

I realize there's probably an electromagnetic form of judo redirection, but in an energy vs. energy containment battle one generally needs more-than-X energy to contain X-energy.

The Lou Ferrigno Hulk could judo a truck, in other words, but a regular person couldn't.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

we should have Bart, our lead scientist at Grogheads Applied Sciences Division, look at this.

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Barthheart

MikeGer is the scientist... I'm just the engineer who gets to build this stuff.... O0

bayonetbrant

I'm going to hold out for process that can be reliably replicated by actual scientists
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Barthheart on October 20, 2014, 08:54:41 AM
MikeGer is the scientist... I'm just the engineer who gets to build this stuff.... O0

German scientists are soooo 1946.  ;)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 20, 2014, 10:50:18 AM
German scientists are soooo 1946.  ;)

Plus they're all busy trying to harness the power of the Tesseract.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Steelgrave

I'm a natural skeptic, dating back to my high school days amid reports of a working laser pistol powered by D-Cells that a Princeton scientist had developed. But the fact this is Lockheed Martin and they went public....it gives me a little hope at least. I wanna believe.

bob48

I agree with Steelie. If this is true, then its incredible. Plus I can't imagine an organisation such as LM making that statement without something tangible to back it up.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

LongBlade

Quote from: bob48 on October 20, 2014, 12:48:39 PM
I agree with Steelie. If this is true, then its incredible. Plus I can't imagine an organisation such as LM making that statement without something tangible to back it up.

That's where I'm at.

It's not like Star claiming he had a three way with Gus and Green Lantern. Lockheed is a legit corporation.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Centurion40

Quote from: LongBlade on October 20, 2014, 12:50:54 PM
Quote from: bob48 on October 20, 2014, 12:48:39 PM

That's where I'm at.

It's not like Star claiming he had a three way with Gus and Green Lantern. Lockheed is a legit corporation.

Hmmm, stock prices soar, then Lockheed fires a "leaker".
Any time is a good time for pie.

bob48

Can't imagine that would do much for their reputation, or inspire any long-term confidence in them.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!