And then Lockheed Martin said "Let there be fusion!" -- and there might be.

Started by JasonPratt, October 20, 2014, 07:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Barthheart on October 20, 2014, 08:54:41 AM
MikeGer is the scientist... I'm just the engineer who gets to build this stuff.... O0

And I'm the tech/tradesman who gets to tweak it/clean up the messes it makes until it runs like it was supposed to.

BanzaiCat

Cheap, clean, renewable energy that has no cancer-causing footprint like fission does and can be deployed in a small space?

Huge boon for mankind.

I look forward to the various energy monolithic companies, not to mention the oil-producing states, viewing this in less than a positive light.

Steelgrave

This announcement coincides with the release of Sid Meier's Beyond Earth this week. Can't be a coincidence, right? Sci/fi geeks everywhere rejoice!

Next step....MARS!

LongBlade

Quote from: Centurion40 on October 20, 2014, 02:03:10 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on October 20, 2014, 12:50:54 PM
Quote from: bob48 on October 20, 2014, 12:48:39 PM
I agree with Steelie. If this is true, then its incredible. Plus I can't imagine an organisation such as LM making that statement without something tangible to back it up.

That's where I'm at.

It's not like Star claiming he had a three way with Gus and Green Lantern. Lockheed is a legit corporation.

Hmmm, stock prices soar, then Lockheed fires a "leaker".

Looks questionable to me.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

jejo68

So up side is that its not radioactive.
Down side is the process creates a mill degree heat. That would be bad if it goes wrong.
Wonder what type of collateral damage we are talking about here.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 20, 2014, 02:18:15 PM
Cheap, clean, renewable energy that has no cancer-causing footprint like fission does and can be deployed in a small space?

Huge booM for mankind.

For very large values of "cheap".  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 21, 2014, 05:15:42 AM
Quote from: jejo68 on October 21, 2014, 01:04:08 AMWonder what type of collateral damage we are talking about here.

Burned cookies

According to Christopher Nolan, Batman survived it no problem. As did Kick-Ass -- and the helicopter crew ferrying him off a half-mile away.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Labbug

Fusion reactors do produce some radioactive waste due to a secondary process.  The reaction will be contained in a magnetic bottle and a surrounding containment building.  The fusion reaction produces heat, light and radiation (primarily protons and/or neutrons).  The radiation will interact with the containment material forming new isotopes of the containment material, some of which will be radioactive.  Overall, the amount of radioactive waste produced in a fusion reactor is very much less than in a fission reactor.