Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoodedHorseJoe

I didn't spot the border controversy. Now that IS odd.

But then Paradox are now very, very good at gathering information on who plays their games, why and more importantly, what they do when they play their games.

As a company, they're also one of the first niche publishers that I can recall to really jump on the YT generation and get them on-side to help bring exposure to their games. As much as it's a very 'off-brand' move to tweak a WW2 sand-box to cater for non-WW2 crowd, if the numbers support it I can certainly understand their logic for doing so.

I've always felt though that Hearts of Iron 4 was trapped between two groups - the HoI3 crowd that loved to be guided through WW2 as it happened, and then the people who liked the 'what if' potential of the sandbox, which is only really a design philosophy Paradox embraced post CK2 and EU4. At launch HoI4 satisfied neither camp, to be honest.

But now, with the way they've been doubling down on the alt-history and 'what if' features via the Focus Tress, I've suspected the historical crowd are losing out, and could even be the minority at this point. Certainly, this recent move shows that the historical crowd probably doesn't have the most influence at the moment.

If you really want to drill down to it, there are probably better games to play in order to get that historical fix.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

JasonPratt

Waiting for modders to fix the fix made for modders...... IT'S HOIMODDERCEPTION!  :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Ian C

Quote from: Rayfer on March 01, 2019, 07:46:34 AM

Edit: While watching the video, he keeps interchanging the words fleet and taskforce as if they are one and the same thing...my understanding is they aren't.  A fleet is made up of any number of separate task forces yet each task force isn't itself a fleet.  Correct?  Ps.  Ian C: you're my go-to guy for this stuff, thanks.  :notworthy:

You're welcome. Correct, he got it wrong.

The naval forces box top right is like the army theaters. Your Fleet works the same in the game as an Army Group in a Theater and is commanded by an Admiral. Under your Fleet are Task Forces displayed as the trident icons.

EDIT: Paradox have released a video how to set up and use Task Forces and Strike Forces.

FlickJax

LOL i feel sea sick now...but good effort

Rayfer

Nice job explaining the fleet/taskforce functions Ian C....thanks.

HoodedHorseJoe

The Fleet = Army Group / Task Force = Army comparison is apt, although interestingly, Task Forces can't have a dedicated Admiral (or other rank, I guess) assigned to them, where-as you can have Field Marshals in charge of the Army Group AND the usual Generals in charge of individual armies.

Probably a good reason for it, but given the parallels I felt it was an odd thing to leave out.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Philippe

How does air power work at this point?  How well does the AI handle interceptions?

Given the scale of my backlog, I don't want to launch into learning a new system if there are any major flaws in it.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Ian C

Mod fix for the border changes in 1.6.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1669763142

*Big sigh of satisfaction*

The question is, why on earth didn't someone just make a damn mod for the modern borders if they wanted them? It's a really bizarre decision for Paradox to have made.

W8taminute

Why in the world would paradox, a company that is no stranger to history and historical accuracy, make borders of WW2 Europe based off of modern day borders? 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

glen55

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 01, 2019, 04:56:18 AM
I have had this game since launch and I've hardly touched it. The same reason I hardly touched WitP - I'm lost.

I love the idea of the game. I love the look. But I have no idea how to conduct a country in war and managing said countries resources, let alone several. I did get into HoI2 Doomsday once, but not for the duration of the war. I probably made it a year in, if that.

I need to sit and invest some time in it - but then that's what I said about WitP.

It'll probably never happen - and that makes me sad  :(

I'm not saying it's simple, but it's a lot easier to play than HOI 2.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

jamus34

Quote from: Ian C on March 01, 2019, 11:20:57 AM

The question is, why on earth didn't someone just make a damn mod for the modern borders if they wanted them? It's a really bizarre decision for Paradox to have made.

Or at least make it a menu set up option. Considering they have options for a '36 or '39 start seems odd to not add in a menu option.
Insert witty comment here.

solops

Quote from: W8taminute on March 01, 2019, 11:26:05 AM
Why in the world would paradox, a company that is no stranger to history and historical accuracy, make borders of WW2 Europe based off of modern day borders?
One more reason not to buy overpriced DLC for a mediocre game.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

W8taminute

Quote from: solops on March 01, 2019, 01:58:54 PM

Exactly.  I have the game and I like it but I won't reload it on my computer if they're going to make me play WW2 on a map of Europe drawn with modern day borders. 

I can go to my local library, photocopy and enlarge a map of modern Europe (because we all know how extremely difficult it is to obtain a map of Europe circa 1939) from an atlas all for as little as ten cents.  Then I can put my plastic army guys on that map and have just as much fun recreating WW2. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Rayfer

Quote from: W8taminute on March 01, 2019, 02:34:29 PM
Quote from: solops on March 01, 2019, 01:58:54 PM

Exactly.  I have the game and I like it but I won't reload it on my computer if they're going to make me play WW2 on a map of Europe drawn with modern day borders. 

I can go to my local library, photocopy and enlarge a map of modern Europe (because we all know how extremely difficult it is to obtain a map of Europe circa 1939) from an atlas all for as little as ten cents.  Then I can put my plastic army guys on that map and have just as much fun recreating WW2.

As Ian C posted above, there is already a mod in the Steam Workshop that fixes this map issue. 

JasonPratt

Quote from: Ian C on March 01, 2019, 11:20:57 AM

Hoimoddiception was achieved within expected parameters.  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!