Second Front (in Development)

Started by Jo B, August 13, 2019, 03:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skoop

The graphics are actually good in a sense that things are pretty detailed, I think it's mainly the cartoony Roblox style faces of the figures that might be off putting to some.  I'm curious if graphic mods will be supported and people can just mod the graphics to whatever their preference is.  Personally, I like it, reminds me of a 2022 version of the original combat mission, and the graphics have that same feel, but also looking more modern at the same time.

JasonPratt

YES! -- I was trying to figure out what they resembled (in a good nostalgic way), and CMx1 was it!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

I was thinking CMBB with all those Barbarossa scenarios. I hope there's a bunch in this game as well.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jo B

Second Front in numbers

5 years of full-time work by a coder and a graphics artist

74000 words in text (including those in the manual)
2163 png files
628 symbols (icons)
1361 fbx 3D models
154323 lines of code
in 258 code files

3 nations (German, American and Russians)

220 vehicles and ordinances (AT and AA)
38 Infantry (squads half-squads, crews)
30 single Soldiers (Leaders, Heros, Snipers)
28 weapons (Mgs, Mortars, Flamethrowers etc.)

AP, HE, HEAT and Smoke ammo.

4 Vehicle Movement types (tracked, half-tracked, offroad wheels, truck)
4 Infantry Movment types (creeping, walking, running, gun pushing)

about 30 terraintypes and terrain hexsides (not including flame, blaze, wire etc)
wind, ground snow and ice,

148 destructable Buildings (multiple hex up to 3 level)

maximum map size 50 x 50.
maximum firing and Line of sight range 50 hex.
6 Levels of ground elevation

48 Scenarios and some campaigns and tutorials. (and a bunch in the steam workshop https://steamcommunity.com/app/1148490/workshop/)

Guides https://steamcommunity.com/app/1148490/guides/

Oche

Quote from: Skoop on December 25, 2022, 02:24:28 PM
The graphics are actually good in a sense that things are pretty detailed, I think it's mainly the cartoony Roblox style faces of the figures that might be off putting to some.  I'm curious if graphic mods will be supported and people can just mod the graphics to whatever their preference is.  Personally, I like it, reminds me of a 2022 version of the original combat mission, and the graphics have that same feel, but also looking more modern at the same time.

'Roblox style faces'. Nailed it.  :clap:

joram

If this was actually on Roblox I might have a chance to get my kids into wargaming....

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

Wait, there are Workshop mods already?!

Insert Green Goblin "IMPRESSIVE!" meme here.  :notworthy:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Axeking240

Workshop content is a bunch of scenarios for SF. Which include maps.

I don't see any link between SF's custom graphics and those of roblox... SF has its own unique style. :-)

And if you are playing zoomed in to see the troops faces all the time, you are going to have a tough time playing. Hard to get a feel for the battlefield when you can only see 1% at a time that way. ;-)

Father Ted

Quote from: Axeking240 on December 28, 2022, 11:38:04 AM
Workshop content is a bunch of scenarios for SF. Which include maps.

I don't see any link between SF's custom graphics and those of roblox... SF has its own unique style. :-)

And if you are playing zoomed in to see the troops faces all the time, you are going to have a tough time playing. Hard to get a feel for the battlefield when you can only see 1% at a time that way. ;-)
Not to worry chap,  I think there is actually a general appreciation of SF's unique visual style.  For me I think of it as a virtual representation of ASL played with minis on a minis terrain.  The so-called "Roblox" look I think fits this  idea  better than an attempt to make "realistic" units and countryside.

dafriedrichs-daffy

Quote from: Jo B on December 26, 2022, 03:44:58 AM
Second Front in numbers

5 years of full-time work by a coder and a graphics artist

74000 words in text (including those in the manual)
2163 png files
628 symbols (icons)
1361 fbx 3D models
154323 lines of code
in 258 code files

3 nations (German, American and Russians)

220 vehicles and ordinances (AT and AA)
38 Infantry (squads half-squads, crews)
30 single Soldiers (Leaders, Heros, Snipers)
28 weapons (Mgs, Mortars, Flamethrowers etc.)

AP, HE, HEAT and Smoke ammo.

4 Vehicle Movement types (tracked, half-tracked, offroad wheels, truck)
4 Infantry Movment types (creeping, walking, running, gun pushing)

about 30 terraintypes and terrain hexsides (not including flame, blaze, wire etc)
wind, ground snow and ice,

148 destructable Buildings (multiple hex up to 3 level)

I think it was about two years ago when I saw the first glimpses into SF on one of the board wargame FB pages or blogs. It was love at first sight. I had done a lot of work for "The Gamers" back in the late 80's and 90's (designed Black Wednesday, Leros, Hube's Pocket and Burma) and wasn't this excited for a new game since those heady days. The next two years were spent periodically nagging/begging/pleading to do anything to help out. This October, Jo finally invited me in for some playtesting and I've been in heaven since.

I do have some words of warning for the future SF fans (I know, Jan 31, 2023 can't come fast enough). I still can't believe this, but Jo is basically a one man show for the programming. When people first see this game, they will fall in love and enjoy the play, making custom maps, doing their own scenarios. After a bit they are going to start thinking, gee I wish xxxxx was in this too (I did), its a natural inclination to want more. But after working with Jo these last few months, I'm convinced that one reason this game is so good, and so solid, is his tight control over direction (as frustrating as that can be at times). Rest assured, Jo has plans for expansion. Let's just hope he lives a long and productive life as we will be the beneficiary of his good works for years to come.

al_infierno

^ Thanks for your thoughts, and welcome to the board!   O0
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

dafriedrichs-daffy

Quote from: Axeking240 on December 28, 2022, 11:38:04 AM

Actually.... maybe after Jo implements radios/phones we could have an "active player" mode option in scenario generation where the game is played as if the player were the senior commander sitting in their HQ directing the battle, or on map and subject to the combat situation directly and all they would do is give orders to those they could communicate directly (see) and those on the wire. Now wouldn't that make for an outstanding nightmare Axe?

I'm just kidding by the way. This would be a terrible idea.

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

I'm playing and running through the tutorials right now. No embargo, so you'll have my initial feedback soon.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18