Main Menu

Scholar or idiot?

Started by MarkShot, September 22, 2012, 07:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkShot

I've played about 5 games of chess on my iPad this evening.

I have all these chess games all with learning tools. But most of the time except for obvious blunders, I am not sure why the computer analysis line is superior, especially in a conceptual sense.

I am also a paying member of chess.com which has thousands of educational lectures and training tools. All for, the most part, very good.

I guess this is my frustration with chess and other games. Having to chose between working hard to improve or playing repeatedly as a poorly ranked idiot. All I want are games that can point out my mistakes in some presentation that resembles how I actually think!

So, who are you? Scholar or idiot?

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MetalDog

I prefer grand strategy/civ building/TBS games.  I only play the ones that I show some proficiency in.  I will put as much effort in as I can for a period of time to learn the game.  If my understanding of the game becomes clearer, I continue to play.  Otherwise, it's relegated to the non played pile.

The type of work I do allows me a great amount of time to self entertain.  If a game has my attention, I will plan my next several moves while I work.  When I get home, I will put them into play.  I try to play through the consequences of my moves regardless of the outcome.  I learn something about why what I did worked or didn't.

I'm hopeless at chess though ;-)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Nefaro

Which would I be if my primary joy is in the learning of new complex gaming systems, and not actually playing one, repeatedly, for long periods?

Idiot, I believe.  ;)

Bison

I'm just starting to get more reluctant to learn new systems.  I'll give it a go and if it doesn't click right away; I'm done.  Mental fatigue or something.

I remember it took me about 50 games to finally beat Fritz 12.  I literally did a victory dance around my computer room.

MarkShot

Did you beat it running at full bore maximum ELO?

If so, I suspect the EXE was suffering a memory leak that day, or you, Sir, are a closet Grand Master!

Bison

Haha!  Yeah right.  The ELO couldn't have been any lower.  I'm thinking checkers or tic-tac-toe might be more my speed.

Bismarck

Quote from: MarkShot on September 22, 2012, 07:41:33 PM
I've played about 5 games of chess on my iPad this evening.

I have all these chess games all with learning tools. But most of the time except for obvious blunders, I am not sure why the computer analysis line is superior, especially in a conceptual sense.

I am also a paying member of chess.com which has thousands of educational lectures and training tools. All for, the most part, very good.

I guess this is my frustration with chess and other games. Having to chose between working hard to improve or playing repeatedly as a poorly ranked idiot. All I want are games that can point out my mistakes in some presentation that resembles how I actually think!

So, who are you? Scholar or idiot?

Scholar
Jim Cobb

MarkShot

So, Jim, what is your ratio of study to play?

I am kind of funny. I'll invest a lot of time when I start out to study something. But after I get that initial boost of improvement I tend to slack off and not hit the books.

Of course games with ELO ratings only rub it in, since you can see that your progress is stagnant!

LongBlade

Chess seems far more limiting than playing wargames.

I respect its heritage. But I'd rather push pewter, cardboard, or pixels.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Nefaro

Quote from: LongBlade on September 22, 2012, 11:51:00 PM
Chess seems far more limiting than playing wargames.

I respect its heritage. But I'd rather push pewter, cardboard, or pixels.

I'm in Longblade's camp. 

I very much remember teaching Chess to myself at around 8 yrs old, by RTFM'ing, but since then it's not been terribly high on my huge list of new shinies.  ;D

MarkShot

Yep, but you'll never find a better programmed AI than chess.

MarkShot

That's why I am drawn to chess.  I hate it when you play a game for 3-6 months and can finally best the AI and despite your love of it, the honeymoon is over.  I don't MP or PBEM.

I could play chess until my dying day and I will never be able to beat any of the games I have running at their max capability.

Remember there was this original Star Trek episode where this immortal guy had been grooming this immortal hot female android (as in robot; not smart phone) to spend all eternity with him.  That's kind of the way it is with me and chess engines.  They will never let me down unless William Shatner comes along and makes their NAND gates go all piter-pater!

Gusington

I love chess. I love it so much that I even enjoy losing. Which is often. But I always try to have at least one take-away. And thinking 2-3 steps ahead in chess has helped me improve my everyday thinking too. Seriously.

Not sure if that makes me a scholar or idiot though.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bismarck

Quote from: MarkShot on September 22, 2012, 10:00:22 PM
So, Jim, what is your ratio of study to play?

I am kind of funny. I'll invest a lot of time when I start out to study something. But after I get that initial boost of improvement I tend to slack off and not hit the books.

Of course games with ELO ratings only rub it in, since you can see that your progress is stagnant!

3:1
Jim Cobb