Main Menu

Huge RoF sale

Started by Toonces, March 24, 2012, 09:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meadbelly

meadbelly

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 28, 2012, 06:18:05 PM
What's to consider?  It's free to play.  Give it a whirl and if you like the two free planes, fling money at the company to buy more.  I'm just waiting on the next sale to get me some sweet, sweet rockets and upward firing Lewis guns.

A compelling point! Apparently by "considering it," I actually meant "too lazy to actually inform myself!" lol

JudgeDredd

I have to say I was fully aware and had no issues with RoF charging model. I've always stuck up for it - I also didn't mind with the extra equipment mods...take em or leave em - same as the aircraft

But I think charging for weapon upgrades (basically increasing authenticity from what I gather) is a step too far. Granted they've put work into it but paying for that which means the guy next to you has the exact same aircraft only better modelled weaponry - not right.

Sorry - but they have lost me with this latest addition. It's a step too far in the charging model I thought was not only fair but priced fairly decently.
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 29, 2012, 05:24:54 AM
I have to say I was fully aware and had no issues with RoF charging model. I've always stuck up for it - I also didn't mind with the extra equipment mods...take em or leave em - same as the aircraft

But I think charging for weapon upgrades (basically increasing authenticity from what I gather) is a step too far. Granted they've put work into it but paying for that which means the guy next to you has the exact same aircraft only better modelled weaponry - not right.

Sorry - but they have lost me with this latest addition. It's a step too far in the charging model I thought was not only fair but priced fairly decently.

I kind of feel the same way....however, I have to keep reminding myself they are not doing any version releases every year at $49 like very other vendor does when they add all these new features.  So although I don't like paying for every little thing, I guess one could justify buying enough of these little things to the point you would have bought their yearly upgrade anyway.

Father Ted

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 29, 2012, 05:24:54 AMBut I think charging for weapon upgrades (basically increasing authenticity from what I gather) is a step too far. Granted they've put work into it but paying for that which means the guy next to you has the exact same aircraft only better modelled weaponry - not right.

Actually, JD, the weapon mods are not to do with improved models, but new, additional functionality.  I was against it 'coz I saw it as "pay to win".  However, it turns out that sticking more guns on your plane gives a genuine (hopefully realistic) hit to performance, so it's not that clear cut, which is pleasing.  Another thing I had against it is that it is really decreasing authenticity - a lot of the additions they've introduced were very rare.

Gusington

SDR did you say that rockets will soon be available?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

They are available now under the weapons mods tab.  Only certain planes can use them.

Gusington

That is fricking awesome. Have you used them yet? I imagine they are a bear to use effectively.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yup, they're pretty much impossible to hit anything with, but they're still fun to shoot!

I put together a quick little mission to play with them.   

Lake map, autumn 1918

3x Sopwith Pup  with 8 rockets each (me as flight leader)
3x Sopwith Triplane (random AI skill level)
3x Nieuport 17 (average AI skill level)

vs.

4x Albatross DIII (veteran skill level)
4x Albatross DIII (random skill level)
2x Fokker Dr I (ace skill level)

vehicles, balloons, ships, and facilities enabled.

I missed with the rockets but shot a truck and 4 Jerries down out of spite before ending the mission.

Silent Disapproval Robot

They added weapon mods to the two free planes.  FOR FREE! WHEEEEEEEE!!!

The SPAD 13 gets balloon buster machine guns.  They fire incendiary ammo and are purposely inaccurate in order the spray the balloon full of holes.

The Albatross D.Va gets a caputred Lewis gun that mounts on the upper wing.  Set the convergence right and this thing is deadly.

The mods are a bit tricky to find.  When you create a quick mission, the mods won't appear in the drag down menu.  You have to create the mission, then start it and when it brings up the map, select your plane in the Hangar....

and click the weapon mod tab on the screen in the upper right in order to select a weapon mod.

Gusington

Are the rockets included based on real life? Are they more intended for air-to-air or air-to-ground, or does it not really matter because of their inaccuracy?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yup, they were real.  They were French, and they sucked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Prieur_rocket

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

TheCommandTent

Those are some cool screenshots.  Is the game as cool as those pictures make it look?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Silent Disapproval Robot

The feeling of flight is fantastic, but outside of the actual flight sim portion of the game, there's not much depth to the single player experience.  Campaigns are kind of lifeless and generic feeling (but better than they used to be).  I just set up quick missions and get my fix that way.  The planes are just so much fun to fly and each plane feels unique.