WarNo by Eugen - aka WARGAME 4

Started by Destraex, December 17, 2021, 01:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

I got it and can confirm early access really is early access this time around. 4 maps and 2 divisions are all there is to play with. Lots of bugs and some crashes. Lots of features and things not there or undinished.
I think though that from what I have seen on the forums, people expected a finished game. I have seen a lot of posts like "game is not finished" or "why are there only 4 maps" etc

It is a shame when people bash things because they are ignorant or entitled. Having said that I still suspect this was rushed to bear the competition, which might be a good thing if the community can persuade the devs to make this one brilliant.

No campaign play yet. Devs have promised to slow gameplay down as well. Atm it has been estimated that an abrams travels at 200km an hour or more due to the cohesion buffs.

I pretty much got it the moment it came out btw as did another friend. We could play single but not multiplayer because the multi servers immediately crashed and were not up for an hour or two thereafter.

A lot of the new features like travel time for aircraft are really cool. But others like hiding the ammo types are a step back from sd2 but may change.

I have enjoyed what I have played so far. But I cannot see this game releasing for at least 6 months.

A review of an early access game is an oxymoron.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Skoop

I'm actually kick'n myself for not getting Combat Mission Black Sea in the steam sale.  Saw some good youtubes of the war in the Ukraine, plus with the current crisis and all, was kinda hankering for some black sea.

Destraex

It crashes to desktop on me about 1 in 2 times I play it. But it's fun and new.

Gusington

Epic, loin-moistening screen shots. Especially the Hind in action.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Agreed, that's pretty spectacular looking.  I just don't have the reflexes for RTS's like that anymore, if I ever did.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Destraex

I know I am one of the only ones here that plays that line between RTS and Wargame and beyond. I do so mainly to be able to enjoy myself with like minded friends and in order to manage time. RTS games that lean towards realism can be played in a reasonable time and are probably still 10x more realistic than most board games. It's a compromise I am willing to make as long as the game can suspend my disbelief enough and does not do outright silly things that I cannot explain away somehow.

I like all you guys though because you are wargamers and are mature and groggy. We are all getting older now, I think I was once one of the youngest community members back in the wargamer.com forum days. I am sure the community is shrinking as a lot of younger people gravitate towards pink ponies and anime kinda realism. Sucked down into the void of unreality.

Jarhead0331

I broke down and got it...the reviews seem to be balancing out and the more level-headed of them appeared to be on the positive side.

I like what I'm seeing, but...and it is a big BUT...it moves WAY too fast. Like ridiculously fast. I played a 2v2 on a fairly nice sized map and the battle was over in under 8 minutes. At regular time, the vehicles are like rocket ships. You can slow down time, but its too slow to play a full game at that speed. They definitely need to work on the rate of speed for vehicles. It has got to be toned down and balanced.

That said, the effects and sounds are really well done and it does seem like a mix of Wargame and Steel Division 2. For me, this is a positive sign.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

That's good to hear about the ability to slow the game down, because you can't slow a game like this down enough for me.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on January 22, 2022, 10:24:08 PM
That's good to hear about the ability to slow the game down, because you can't slow a game like this down enough for me.

You can slow it down or stop it altogether.

What I would like to have instead of buttons for pause, slow, normal, fast, etc. is a sliding bar so that you can go from freeze time to accelerated speed and anything in between with precision control. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Grim.Reaper

Yeah, that is my struggle with this game and others.  I just can't figure out how to play it where I feel like I am able to give out orders that matter and at the same time watch all the drama that is movie like play out.  I usually get caught up watching something and neglect the other stuff going on.  Just can't figure out a way that works for me.

Destraex

That is why SD2 and WARNO automatically save all your games as replays to watch later.
I have a friend that I was surprised went after we finished playing and regularly just watched the whole hour of play over again as a replay. Studying every detail. He learnt a lot doing that.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Destraex on January 23, 2022, 06:07:56 AM
That is why SD2 and WARNO automatically save all your games as replays to watch later.
I have a friend that I was surprised went after we finished playing and regularly just watched the whole hour of play over again as a replay. Studying every detail. He learnt a lot doing that.

Sure, but that is not really what I meant.  Mentally at least for me it's difficult to try and give orders and watch enough to see if effective or require changes on one part of the battlefield, while things are going nuts in many other spots.  Not saying the game is bad, just these types might not be for me which I already kind of knew.  Envy those who figure it out and enjoy.

Zulu1966

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 22, 2022, 10:15:09 PM
I broke down and got it...the reviews seem to be balancing out and the more level-headed of them appeared to be on the positive side.

I like what I'm seeing, but...and it is a big BUT...it moves WAY too fast. Like ridiculously fast. I played a 2v2 on a fairly nice sized map and the battle was over in under 8 minutes. At regular time, the vehicles are like rocket ships. You can slow down time, but its too slow to play a full game at that speed. They definitely need to work on the rate of speed for vehicles. It has got to be toned down and balanced.

That said, the effects and sounds are really well done and it does seem like a mix of Wargame and Steel Division 2. For me, this is a positive sign.

Yeah biggest issue for me - all way to fast and the Tac AI doesnt really make up for it. I was hoping this would be more like a RT wargame than a RTS - but I guess what this is mostly about is bringing the older games more in line with the current.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Gusington

My bad, Mi8TV Hip.

The speed of the gameplay will send me into a tizzy as well, so I will be happy to see a slider implemented too.

Guys here seem to enjoying it more than the typical Steamer...which definitely makes me more comfortable jumping in.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd