Main Menu

Star Citizen

Started by Jarhead0331, June 04, 2014, 10:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

^Yes. Apparently, Erin Roberts got drunk at an event in Korea and he was quoted as saying that SQ42 is at least 2 years off from being released. Who knows if this is accurate, but it wouldn't be surprising.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

I actually posted once in the Star Citizen forums about wanting the devs to be careful NOT to spoil the campaign before anybody got to explore and experience it for themselves. Back in the day before the internet was really big, we played wing commander and got shocked by plot twists. You rolled with the punches without really being prepared for them. It made you think and it kept you motivated. If I end up knowing the plot before playing the game it's going to be like a waking zombie walk, just going through the motions. Not really feeling like you are there in the moment watching things unfold. Wondering what will happen next.

I have almost given up with both movie spoilers and game story spoilers for anything remotely big in name. You can try not to watch or hear things. But I am afraid it's almost impossible unless you become a hermit.

What a shame. I refuse to watch the leaked footage. But I WILL hear about it and learn about it all anyways off friends and media, even if not now, before release. It is inevitable  #:-)
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Pete Dero

Quote from: Destraex on October 08, 2022, 08:38:43 PM
What a shame. I refuse to watch the leaked footage. But I WILL hear about it and learn about it all anyways off friends and media, even if not now, before release. It is inevitable  #:-)

When the game releases in 8 years you will have forgotten this  >:D  :peace:.

Destraex

By gawd I see your point old boy! Stellar then. Cheered me up no end.  :bd:
Seriously you gave me a good chuckle.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on October 09, 2022, 03:31:34 AM
By gawd I see your point old boy! Stellar then. Cheered me up no end.  :bd:
Seriously you gave me a good chuckle.

The footage doesn't reveal any plot secrets or twists. It's almost like a mash-up of different and very random scenes generated by the engine.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 08, 2022, 11:52:00 AM
^Yes. Apparently, Erin Roberts got drunk at an event in Korea and he was quoted as saying that SQ42 is at least 2 years off from being released. Who knows if this is accurate, but it wouldn't be surprising.

I remember in 2015 them saying it could be as late as 2016. It always amuses me to think of the all time classics that were developed in fractions of the time of games stuck in development hell- for example, SimCity 1 AND 2000 or Civ I AND II AND Alpha Centauri were all started and finished within a shorter time frame than SC is now up to! And I'm not rooting against them, but man are they unable to manage a project.

Skoop

I don't think it's a miss manage.  It's more of, you want to do everything under the sun in a video game, some of which had tech hurdles.  After watching the citcon stuff yesterday, I'm thinking that the commitment to finish squadron is to prove they could finish something.  But the PU is a franchise that will never be finished.  They will just keep adding new stuff for ever.  Release for Star Citizen might be beta.

Sigwolf

Quote from: Skoop on October 09, 2022, 04:25:58 PM
I don't think it's a miss manage.  It's more of, you want to do everything under the sun in a video game, some of which had tech hurdles.  After watching the citcon stuff yesterday, I'm thinking that the commitment to finish squadron is to prove they could finish something.  But the PU is a franchise that will never be finished.  They will just keep adding new stuff for ever.  Release for Star Citizen might be beta.
The money they've had at their disposal along with the length of time it has involved is the very definition of a mismanage. Proper management involves setting attainable goals in a reasonable timeframe.  Money has not been a limiting factor in this project.  Management has been.

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Sigwolf on October 09, 2022, 09:20:23 PM
Quote from: Skoop on October 09, 2022, 04:25:58 PM
The money they've had at their disposal along with the length of time it has involved is the very definition of a mismanage. Proper management involves setting attainable goals in a reasonable timeframe.  Money has not been a limiting factor in this project.  Management has been.

Yes... endless scope creep blowing out your schedule and budget is pretty much the textbook definition of (one form of) mismanagement.

Skoop

Like I was saying, when you promise things in 2013 but it's not technically possible, then the infrastructure is built and it becomes possible years down the road.  Then things like converting to Vulcan can lead to redoing a lot of work already done.  They did say at citcon trying to develop an open world mmo and a AAA sp title simultaneously has been extremely challenging.  Hence why they are consolidating to finish squadron.  They did make a point that the 3.0 series of releases was a test of concepts.  It seemed to add years of development though doing it this way.  But also allows us to play along.  I've always said, buggy alpha Star Citizen is better than any finished space game right now, until maybe when that Bethesda game comes along to challenge it.  Even then, I'll probably play both for a time, and then be back to Star citizen as there will be some new content released to try out.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Skoop on October 10, 2022, 12:00:23 PM
I've always said, buggy alpha Star Citizen is better than any finished space game right now, until maybe when that Bethesda game comes along to challenge it.  Even then, I'll probably play both for a time, and then be back to Star citizen as there will be some new content released to try out.

This is an important point that often is overlooked by detractors. The content that is available in game as of the current alpha build is extremely good. It does things that no other game past or present has pulled off. Frankly, I don't even see anything else on the near horizon that offers the depth and variety of gameplay as is already available to try in Star citizen.

People tend to focus on the length of development, the amount of money raised and the lack of a "complete" product, while mostly ignoring the very noteworthy accomplishments already made by CIG and the good game that is available to play right now.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 10, 2022, 12:04:22 PM
Quote from: Skoop on October 10, 2022, 12:00:23 PM
I've always said, buggy alpha Star Citizen is better than any finished space game right now, until maybe when that Bethesda game comes along to challenge it.  Even then, I'll probably play both for a time, and then be back to Star citizen as there will be some new content released to try out.

This is an important point that often is overlooked by detractors. The content that is available in game as of the current alpha build is extremely good. It does things that no other game past or present has pulled off. Frankly, I don't even see anything else on the near horizon that offers the depth and variety of gameplay as is already available to try in Star citizen.

People tend to focus on the length of development, the amount of money raised and the lack of a "complete" product, while mostly ignoring the very noteworthy accomplishments already made by CIG and the good game that is available to play right now.

Totally agree with you. Star Citizen is light years ahead of the competition and indeed has content right now that no other game if it's kind has. Judging by the amount of money raised the silent majority clearly love it. I am personally glad that Chris Roberts CIG\RSI is shooting for the stars and not issuing the platitudes of games that most do. I think he has inspired the competition to up their game and we are seeing that in games like starfield and elite with their in ship and out of ship movement attempts. Sometimes it's the journey and then the destination, "all good things come to those that wait" comes to mind. In this case we already have good things and are waiting for more.
For me the investment has been worth it even if it fell over tomorrow.

Skoop

The IAE free fly is on if anyone is so inclined to try it out.

Flew the new corsair, it's ok, really just a 10% better connie.  Nothing earth shattering.  The 3.18 patch that's due before 2023 could bring salvage gameplay which will be really cool to see.

Destraex

Quote from: Skoop on November 23, 2022, 05:30:26 PM
The IAE free fly is on if anyone is so inclined to try it out.

Flew the new corsair, it's ok, really just a 10% better connie.  Nothing earth shattering.  The 3.18 patch that's due before 2023 could bring salvage gameplay which will be really cool to see.
I tried playing Star Citizen last night and because of DCS had no idea what my HOTAS setup was lol. Took an old friend with his new PC in as well. First thing he did was panick when he loaded in for the first time and it was laggy.... even after I told him it would settle down after caching finished.

Skoop

This was my first load up with my new build and I had the same problem of these weird pauses / lag.  Google  showed it was a default bios setting of not boosting to full power on all hyper threading cores.  So the fix was either turn boost always on or disable some of the cores, cleared it right up.  Now Star Citizen runs like butter on all settings max and 4k.

Also I've heard of some using joystick gremlin to save all their controls when it's a wipe patch.

I seriously think dcs has the best controls setup.  I love when I jump in an aircraft after being away, I'll just sit in the cockpit, go into the controls page, push all the buttons and it tells me what's mapped to it.  Amazing this hasn't been universally adopted by all games.