Main Menu

Star Citizen

Started by Jarhead0331, June 04, 2014, 10:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

I sincerely hope your optimism is rewarded with an awesome game. But man, it's been in development for 5 years in spite of raising over 110 million dollars in crowd funding. Wasn't there a Fall 2016 release date for the first single player module that was recently canceled with no new release date given? 

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Rayfer on October 14, 2016, 08:14:10 AM
I sincerely hope your optimism is rewarded with an awesome game. But man, it's been in development for 5 years in spite of raising over 110 million dollars in crowd funding. Wasn't there a Fall 2016 release date for the first single player module that was recently canceled with no new release date given?

Did you watch the procedural planet demo v2? That's why the game isn't out yet...because they are creating something the likes of which nobody has ever seen before. Its scope and scale is simply breathtaking.

Yes, they will need to finish it at SOME point, but Rome wasn't built in a day. Its going to require a lot of time. A lot more than they have already had. I'm willing to wait, so long as we continue to receive worthwhile updates to the alpha build. I'm eagerly awaiting 2.6, and even more so 3.0, which should be another giant leap forward in terms of content and playability. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

undercovergeek

Wasn't this a tech demo

Is this the one they produced for their own con, and the dev console comes up showing its a purpose built build for the show?

Rayfer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 14, 2016, 08:23:47 AM

Did you watch the procedural planet demo v2? That's why the game isn't out yet...because they are creating something the likes of which nobody has ever seen before. Its scope and scale is simply breathtaking.

Yes, they will need to finish it at SOME point, but Rome wasn't built in a day. Its going to require a lot of time. A lot more than they have already had. I'm willing to wait, so long as we continue to receive worthwhile updates to the alpha build. I'm eagerly awaiting 2.6, and even more so 3.0, which should be another giant leap forward in terms of content and playability.

Yes, quite astonishing and I truly hope a great game eventually comes out of all of this. I'm not rooting for it to fail, I want it to succeed. I just find it hard to ignore the red flags....mainly 5 years in development and canceled release dates...to not feel some trepidation.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on October 14, 2016, 08:28:52 AM
Wasn't this a tech demo

Is this the one they produced for their own con, and the dev console comes up showing its a purpose built build for the show?

Yes. Its a tech demo. Its proof that the tech exists.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Rayfer on October 14, 2016, 08:46:01 AM

Yes, quite astonishing and I truly hope a great game eventually comes out of all of this. I'm not rooting for it to fail, I want it to succeed. I just find it hard to ignore the red flags....mainly 5 years in development and canceled release dates...to not feel some trepidation.

Yes. I totally understand that, and I'd be remiss if I didn't say I've had and still do have some concerns and doubts. However, starting with version 2.0 of the Alpha, I became a believer. What they have already accomplished and given to backers is extremely impressive and enjoyable.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JasonPratt

Yes, they will need to finish it at SOME point, but Rome wasn't built in a day. Its going to require a lot of time. A lot more than [the five years] they have already had.

:o ;D

I'm glad people enjoy it, and I fully understand and sympathize with player patience in development for this product -- but I'm also kind of glad I haven't bought in yet.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 14, 2016, 11:12:13 AM
Yes, they will need to finish it at SOME point, but Rome wasn't built in a day. Its going to require a lot of time. A lot more than [the five years] they have already had.

:o ;D

I'm glad people enjoy it, and I fully understand and sympathize with player patience in development for this product -- but I'm also kind of glad I haven't bought in yet.

In my opinion what is already in game is well worth the price of an entry level ship.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

The biggest milestone in game development to date, v.3.0, is expected to release on June 30th. Since they have started releasing their internal progress schedules publicly, they have managed to hit these deadlines within days for the most part. Development has felt much more rapid since build 2.6 hit and the team has a clear focus and exhuberance for what they are creating.

I'm convinced that 3.0 is going to change gaming history forever and revolutionize the genre.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Hartford688

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 15, 2017, 07:20:34 AM

I'm convinced that 3.0 is going to change gaming history forever and revolutionize the genre.

Well I have not looked into Star Citizen much, saw a lot of articles but thought I'd wait until nearer completion first.

Given the suggestion, I thought I'd now have a look. I went to see how much it would cost to delve in a little - looks like $48.40 to start.

Then I saw the Completionist. $18,140. I see that gets you a lot of ships, but not their new Destroyer..but your $18k buys you the ability to buy it...Gosh.

They revolutionised pricing already anyway. Genre next.

Jarhead0331

I suppose you want to blame the developer too for raising over 140 million dollars by revolutionizing game development through crowd funding?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Geezer

I just wish they had stayed focused and finished Squadron 42.  I've given up even doing downloads at this point.  IF they ever launch then maybe I'll come back.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Jarhead0331

You're doing yourself a disservice. The state of the PU at present is well worth playing.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Hartford688

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 15, 2017, 11:06:46 AM
I suppose you want to blame the developer too for raising over 140 million dollars by revolutionizing game development through crowd funding?

I'm not blaming anyone.

I'm just intrigued at a game where you get a "complete" edition for $18,140, yet you can still then buy further DLC.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Hartford688 on April 15, 2017, 11:43:36 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 15, 2017, 11:06:46 AM

I'm not blaming anyone.

I'm just intrigued at a game where you get a "complete" edition for $18,140, yet you can still then buy further DLC.

You do understand it's a funding mechanism for development only. Everything you can buy with real cash now, you will be able to buy with in game currency after release.

I think paying 18,000 for digital content is crazy too. That's why I'm choosing not to spend that much.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog