So maybe it's time for the ACW

Started by Toonces, June 29, 2012, 01:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

I've been kind of spinning my wheels looking for something to dig my teeth into lately.  I have been dabbling with immersing myself in WW2 Europe- I don't know too much about the European theater actually.  I've always been far more fascinated with the Pacific.  I've done some reading and I'm sort of into it, but I keep finding myself getting bored with the subject.  It's hard to explain.  I finished about 3/4 of Stephen Ambrose's excellent book D-Day and I'm about 20% through Hitler's Preemptive War about the battle for Norway.  I really want a meaty book on Stalingrad (I started Thunder in the East, and it's interesting but a bit zoomed out for what I'm looking for) to complement my Red Orchestra gaming. 

Anyway, I find my interest waning already on the topic and I want to go back to my nice safe spot with the Pacific.

The thing is, I've read a lot on the Pacific and while I wouldn't consider myself an expert, I don't need to start from the beginning anymore either.  I've actually read most of the books I own on the subject, and I've played most of the games I own on it as well.  Still, I think I will keep it in my hip pocket just in case.

So then I started dabbling in Korea.  I read about 35% of The Coldest Winter, and if there is a more boring book about the Korean War I haven't read it yet.  I mean, great cover but man the book just sucks.  A much, much better book is This Kind of War and I'm about 25% through that and thoroughly enjoying it.  Of course, the only Korean War game I own is Mig Alley, and it's a bit...dated now.

So, once again, I started reading Terrible Swift Sword.  I picked up Canton's trilogy, as well as his Army of the Potomac trilogy back in Norfolk at a used book store and I still haven't read them.  But I got to thinking about it.  I'm not a novice of the ACW; I've read Battlecry of Freedom twice, all of Sears' battle books, and a handful of others, and I still have all of Canton and most of Foote to get through.  And then I started thinking about my gaming collection...I have 2nd Manassas and Scourge of War, the Tiller ACW series from Matrix, HPS Gettysburg, AACW, and Forge of Freedom.  I really haven't given any of these games a proper run through yet.

I guess maybe it's time to get into the ACW in a big way.  I reinstalled AACW tonight on my new computer and I think I might just really try to wrap my head around it this time.  And when I get bored of grand strategy I can zoom in to Manassas, Gettysburg, or Antietam; and when RTS starts to get old I can go all hex and counter with Tiller.  Oh, and I have at least 3 boardgames on the subject as well, all unpunched.  Yep, I think it's time to dig in. 

The problem, with me, is that I have a hard time spreading my "warfare interest of the day" around.  Like many of you, I like to be reading about whatever I'm playing.  Well, I can't read everything and I can't play every game I want to play.  Gotta focus somewhere.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

spelk

Self pimping a bit here, but I did a similar knuckle down session with AACW a while back, it might help ease you into the thing.

It follows the ten turn battle of Shiloh.
http://sugarfreegamer.com/?page_id=1422

Not sure whether you've read The Killer Angels, but it was a fascinating book, that was the source inspiration for the movie Gettysburg. The audiobook was so much better for me, because of the accents, to hear the story in the proper American accents from both sides was simply divine.

Not sure whether it's on over the pond, but Ridley Scott's rendition of Gettysburg is on this weekend. Worth a watch to get you in the mood.

http://www.history.com/shows/gettysburg#

Grim.Reaper

I have to admit, I am a big amercial civil war fan and was very excited when this game was first announced.  I  remember just sitting there waiting for the game to be released and it was an instant purchase for me.  A strategic ACW game come true.  However, sadly I could never actually get into it.  Could never figure out what my mental block was.  This should have been THE game for me, but nothing ever clicked.  Soon it just started gathering dust and I moved on.  I have also tried all the other ACW games like forge of freedom (instant buy) and War Between the States (was even beta tester) and none of them clicked either.

So it must just be me but I am still looking for the holy grail that will actually click with me:(

TheCommandTent

I haven't played any ACW games in a while but I own Scourge of War Gettysburg and Forge of Freedom.  I really enjoyed both of those games.  Maybe I should get back into them....

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Barthheart

Slightly OT, but I have to ask. What do Americans find so interesting/fascinating about the ACW? I mean wasn't one of, if not THE, darkest periods in American history? I'm just surprised it isn't swept under the rug and forgotten. But maybe that's because I'm an outsider. Just curious....  :)

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Barthheart on June 29, 2012, 07:14:44 AM
Slightly OT, but I have to ask. What do Americans find so interesting/fascinating about the ACW? I mean wasn't one of, if not THE, darkest periods in American history? I'm just surprised it isn't swept under the rug and forgotten. But maybe that's because I'm an outsider. Just curious....  :)

Can't speak for everyone...but a couple of reasons I enjoy the topic.

1)  Taught in school so sparks my interest; hundreds of books written on the topic
2)  Happened in "our backyard"
3)  The lore of brother vs brother, family versus family
4)  The stories and different personalities of the people involved with the conflict
etc.

To me it is no different in the fact that I don't know much about or understand the conflicts that happened in Europe and other parts of the world...just very familiar with the subject matter and want to be able to play it out.  I do get your point though about it being a dark time, especially with americans against americans, but I really never thought of it that way.

junk2drive

Politically and philosophically you have it all, from states rights to how dare they secede.

Wargame wise, it was the beginning of mechanized warfare. Repeating rifles, Gatling guns, ironclads...

Supply problems for the South, leadership problems for the North.

mikeck

For me, it is a huge war (4 years) between two roughly equal armies. There were large numbers of big battles in a time period where there were relatively few large wars. (1840-1880)Franco Prussian, Ausso Prussian, Italian wars and Crimea).
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Sir Slash

As a son of the South I've always had a soft-spot in my heart for the Confederacy though I know that's increasingly polictically incorrect. Just look at, "Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter". Who knew the confederates were really all vampires? The whole lost cause battle against overwhelming strength is what southerners consider honor to be all about. I hear Ralph Peters new book, Cain At Gettysburg, is excellent. Anybody read it?  I too have always wanted a really good ACW game to get lost in but for now a great book will do.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 29, 2012, 08:51:46 AM
As a son of the South I've always had a soft-spot in my heart for the Confederacy though I know that's increasingly polictically incorrect. Just look at, "Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter". Who knew the confederates were really all vampires? The whole lost cause battle against overwhelming strength is what southerners consider honor to be all about. I hear Ralph Peters new book, Cain At Gettysburg, is excellent. Anybody read it?  I too have always wanted a really good ACW game to get lost in but for now a great book will do.

Recently started the Cain book, so far very good and descriptive.   Can only assume it will continue to be a very good read.  saw in many other places the book getting rave reviews.

Grim.Reaper

And for people who want a blast from the past, the old North and South game.  Of course you have to be in the mood for some light-hearted civil war:)

http://www.amazon.com/The-Bluecoats-North-South-Download/dp/B00893LJQE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340978455&sr=8-1&keywords=north+and+south+game

mikeck

Cain at Gettysburg is tremendous...great book
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Greybriar

Perhaps it is because essentially everyone's ancestors in the United States during that period were a part of the American Civil War. As time goes on it may fade into obscurity, but there are many, many individuals of all types who will be remembered for the roles they played during that period in U.S. history--Robert E. Lee, U.S. Grant, J.P. Morgan, William Quantrill, John Wilkes Booth, John Brown...the list goes on and on. The dramatic changes to the United States as a result of its civil war have been the subject of countless books over the past 150 years and will probably be studied by scholars for generations to come.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Barthheart

Thanks  to all that answered my question.  8)

MengJiao

Well, of course most of it is swept under the rug and forgotten.  It's hard to get a grip on the strangeness of a massive war on a two-thousand-mile inland front and the whole coast from Texas to Virginia.  I may stop at Gettysburg on the 149th anneversary of its commencement on the first leg of my vacation.  I can reflect on my ancestor in the 1st Texas Regiment who buried his brother there and headed home with a bloody uniform or two (possibly his brother's or possibly his own) that achieved ghostly histories in family attics.