Battletech is back!!!

Started by Shelldrake, May 12, 2017, 06:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelldrake

According to RPS BattleTech will be out 24 April.  :clap:
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Nefaro

Quote from: Shelldrake on March 27, 2018, 09:07:43 AM

Yes.  I believe that date has been listed elsewhere, too.

I may wait until May to pick it up.  Just to wait out the post-release updates & such. 

acctingman

Quote from: Nefaro on March 28, 2018, 03:09:28 PM
Quote from: Shelldrake on March 27, 2018, 09:07:43 AM

Yes.  I believe that date has been listed elsewhere, too.

I may wait until May to pick it up.  Just to wait out the post-release updates & such.

I'm with Nef on this too. As much as I don't know shit about giant robots and the lore of BT, it just looks too damn cool.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: acctingman on March 28, 2018, 03:11:15 PM

I'm with Nef on this too. As much as I don't know shit about giant robots and the lore of BT, it just looks too damn cool.

It's never too late to get into Battletech lore.  You just have to have the right thing to grab you about it. Honestly the best way to get into it is to play one of the games based on it.  I knew nothing about the lore the first time I threw down a lance of Mechs back in '88, I just knew giant robots were cool. 

A couple of Michael Stackpole books later and I was hooked.

This is probably the best game to get into it with the least required knowledge curve I've seen.  They're setting this earlier in the universe timeline than any previous game, so you don't have any of the more complex stuff of the post 4th Succession War and later post-Clan invasion story.   Lore shouldn't be much of an obstacle.  Just jump right in.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mirth

There used to be an introductory box that could be had for small money. Gave you the basic rules, paper maps, a few plastic mech minis. Easy way to get into the game.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

SirAndrewD

Quote from: mirth on March 28, 2018, 05:08:21 PM
There used to be an introductory box that could be had for small money. Gave you the basic rules, paper maps, a few plastic mech minis. Easy way to get into the game.

I have the old version of that around here somewhere.  Back when they still had cardboard chits.  And yes the chits have the corners.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

acctingman

There is a "Mechwarrior" table top mini's game. Is that similar? I know Mechwarrior is not Battletech....I at least know that  :uglystupid2:

mirth

Mechwarrior is Battletech. It's set in the Battletech Universe.

acctingman

Quote from: mirth on March 28, 2018, 05:21:28 PM

jomni

Quote from: acctingman on March 28, 2018, 06:08:39 PM
Quote from: mirth on March 28, 2018, 05:21:28 PM

Mechwarior is the RPG branch of tabletop Battletech

mirth

Well, Mechwarrior has morphed into a lot of things for the brand.

SirAndrewD

Mechwarrior was always an idea of the 1st person view of Battletech.  Close and in the cockpit.  So yeah, it was the RPG and later all the simulations. 

Battletech has always been the third person view, war game version.  I hated the MechCommander title, because it should've been Battletech.  But at the time the Mechwarrior brand was just so much more well known. 

But yes, Mechwarrior is Battletech and Battletech is Mechwarrior.  Same mechs, same story, same universe.  Just different branding for a different concept of how the game is portrayed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_BattleTech_games

mirth