Too Star Trek-y?

Started by mirth, May 20, 2015, 12:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

OK let's right some wrongs in this thread. :P

First and foremost: The reboots are very much Star Trek.  "Moralising" is what makes Star Trek superior to, say, Star Wars which is essentially a kids' film.  Any idiot can film a giant starship battle.  Star Trek portrays a utopian future in which considerations such as race and money have long been cast aside, and Humanity is finally exploring space properly.  It's Trek because it lives up to the ideals.  In the first reboot, two captains go aboard the Romulan vessel without a second thought for personal safety.  Both know they're unlikely to return.  Both give their second officers plans to ensure the losses aren't in vain.  On both occasions, the crews jump into action and carry out the plans to the best of their abilities.  And it's all done under fantastic direction from JJ Abrams via a cast who for the most part absolutely nail the roles they're effectively reprising.

I think the reboots are fantastic, and I say this as a lifelong Trek fan.  They're exciting, dramatic, expertly directed, amazingly well cast and acted, and they superbly walk the fine line between fan service and making a generally good film.

BanzaiCat

Let's take it a step further.

I think we can all agree that Flash Gordon > Star Trek and Star Wars.

Martok

If we're going to devolve into making absurd statements, then I'm going to add my own and say that Kanye West is a better performer than Bob Dylan.  ::) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

BanzaiCat

zOMG ABSURD?!?!?!?!11  >:(

bbmike

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 30, 2015, 07:37:10 PM
OK let's right some wrongs in this thread. :P

First and foremost: The reboots are very much Star Trek.  "Moralising" is what makes Star Trek superior to, say, Star Wars which is essentially a kids' film.  Any idiot can film a giant starship battle.  Star Trek portrays a utopian future in which considerations such as race and money have long been cast aside, and Humanity is finally exploring space properly.  It's Trek because it lives up to the ideals.  In the first reboot, two captains go aboard the Romulan vessel without a second thought for personal safety.  Both know they're unlikely to return.  Both give their second officers plans to ensure the losses aren't in vain.  On both occasions, the crews jump into action and carry out the plans to the best of their abilities.  And it's all done under fantastic direction from JJ Abrams via a cast who for the most part absolutely nail the roles they're effectively reprising.

I think the reboots are fantastic, and I say this as a lifelong Trek fan.  They're exciting, dramatic, expertly directed, amazingly well cast and acted, and they superbly walk the fine line between fan service and making a generally good film.

Huw the Poo, I say this with the utmost respect- put down the crack pipe.  :2funny:
Brant, if he doesn't put down the crack pipe....did we add the 'ignore user' option yet?  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

I still want a Star Trek war movie. 

I can't be bargained with.  I can't be reasoned with.  And I absolutely will not stop, ever, until that is done.

:))

I'd even settle for one with the Klingons as the main focus of the film.  ^-^

Centurion40

Quote from: Nefaro on May 31, 2015, 08:37:41 PM
I still want a Star Trek war movie. 

I can't be bargained with.  I can't be reasoned with.  And I absolutely will not stop, ever, until that is done.

:))

I'd even settle for one with the Klingons as the main focus of the film.  ^-^

YES!!!
Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

+1 on a Klingon focused movie, though I think the time to that was when TNG films were still going and Worf was a popular and known character.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Centurion40

I want the next film to have Klingons as the prime adversaries.  Just please knock-off the lens flare!

Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Martok

Quote from: mirth on June 01, 2015, 07:40:10 AM
+1 on a Klingon focused movie, though I think the time to that was when TNG films were still going and Worf was a popular and known character.
Agreed, on both counts. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bbmike

I wouldn't mind a dark, gritty movie on the first Romulan war (with the caveat that non of that TV show Enterprise stuff is included).
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

As Martok mentioned, this is our great hope for a '"classic" Trek movie. And it'll be a war movie too!

JasonPratt

Don't care what kind of Star Trek story is done, assuming it's "in the milieu", so long as:

1a.) they either make a good case for the Starfleet Ethic (which TOS did the best on, in my opinion, though still somewhat shakily);

or

1b.) they critique the Starfleet Ethic while still respecting the general ideal (best done in my opinion on DS9);

and

2.) they don't stoop to aggressively stupid plot contrivances or things that merely look nifty but make no sense -- which has haunted the series, whether TV or films, from day one, up to the current day;

while

3.) a cast of interesting and entertaining characters work out aspects of personal interrelationships while solving problems scientifically (which is pretty standard for sci-fi ensemble shows, but the point is that ST probably should be a sci-fi ensemble show).

Other than that I don't really care, aside from some attachment to pre-established characters (including the original TOS-era Enterprise).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 02, 2015, 01:27:11 PM

Other than that I don't really care, aside from some attachment to pre-established characters (including the original TOS-era Enterprise).

Original movie series Enterprise sexiest Enterprise.

Not too antique sci-fi looking, with the nutty kaleidoscope engine cowls, but still resembles original.  Also doesn't look like a half-melted Salvadore Dali slug like the later ones.  :P  Nearly all the ships from that period looked awesome (Reliant, Excelsior, Birds of Prey, etc).

NERD FIGHT!