Little Wars

Started by Father Ted, January 06, 2013, 08:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Father Ted

Anyone know what I mean by this?  One of my earliest wargaming memories was of the book "Little Wars" by H G Wells (yes, that one).  This detailed the game he invented which utilized "toy soldiers" and a model cannon, which could fire projectiles.  When I was a kid this self-same model was still for sale and my brother and I bought a couple, together with some packs of 1/32nd scale Airfix Napoleonics, and started wargaming.

TheCommandTent

I read a copy of the book when I first got into tabletop wargaming.  It was an interesting look back at the "beginnings" of the hobby.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Staggerwing

The book has been mention a few times now. For those who wish to read it:

Little Wars at Project Gutenberg

Also, here is the link to another HG Wells book in a similar vein:

Floor Games at Project Gutenberg

Also, here is the Kindle Version
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

I met a guy at a convention a couple of years ago who reprinted both books. I'll need to see if I can find them in my library or whether they're still unpacked in a box somewhere.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

besilarius

There used to be a lot of spring loaded cannon miniatures, in roughly 54mm scale.  William Britains and Matchbox, I think.
My brothers and I played with those, knocking down toy soldiers.  Was I surprised to read that a grown up guy wrote a book about it.
It's too bad that the spring cannon are not available anymore.  I'm sure that a lot of kids "shot their eyes out" with them, but they were a lot of fun.  Had a big 155 mm cannon from Britains, but it had such loose rifling that you couldn't hit anything.  My brother whittled some wooden bullets for it, and damn but it became really good.  Could shoot accurately up to about five feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5D8Ff2bPtY
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Barthheart

I had a set of Roman era army men that came with catapults that fired small balls of plastic. Great fun. Got them off the back of a comic book for $2.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Barthheart on January 07, 2013, 11:23:50 AMGot them off the back of a comic book for $2.

as long as it wasn't an Aquaman comic book.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 07, 2013, 11:24:27 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on January 07, 2013, 11:23:50 AMGot them off the back of a comic book for $2.

as long as it wasn't an Aquaman comic book.

Not a Chance! Sgt. Rock!  8)

TheCommandTent

I remember some of the Legos I had as a kid had cannons with a spring in them to shoot Lego pieces.  Those were always alot of fun.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."