Vassal on Mac (Solved except for ASL)

Started by Bison, February 24, 2013, 04:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Anyone use vassal on mac?  I've got vassal setup and working but I'm a little confused how the modules install.  Or rather the location.  I know that ASL requires a separate folder and I can figure out how this work in windows, but how is done on Mac.  Do I need to create new folders for each module?

TheCommandTent

Well using a Mac is your first problem............  :P

*runs and hides from Brant*
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Bison

Bison

Now I'm just trying to figure out ASL.  Even ASL for vassal is a complex monster to understand.

GJK

VASSAL modules are different than the whole VASL set up.  VASL uses individual folders (boards, images, etc) that you create and then point to within the configuration utility for VASL.  VASSAL modules are self-contained archive files that have the folders built inside of them - you do not need to set them up.  And you could simply put all of your "vassal_module.vmod" files in a single folder or make a unique folder for each, it doesn't matter.  One thing to note is that Safari will tend to extract the .vmod file (which is really just a .zip file renamed to .vmod), so be sure to right (control-click I think it is) and "save as" instead of just left clicking on the download link.   

Also note - and this gets both Windows and Mac users - but some people further .zip their .vmod file so that in effect it's double-zipped.  You also get some people that rename the .vmod file to .zip for uploading to the VASSAL website.  In the case of the latter, VASSAL will open it just fine.  In the case of the former, you'll get an error that it's "not a valid VASSAL module".  In that case, you'll need to extract the .zip to get to the .vmod before VASSAL will open it.  Confusing as hell to some people but that goes back to before they started using the .vmod file name extension for VASSAL modules. 
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

I realized after I opened some gmt vassal modules that vassal was not creating a module folder. So I made on and put the vassal modules there of course I had do reopen due to new file path.  Ill mess around with ask this week.

LongBlade

Quote from: TheCommandTent on February 24, 2013, 05:05:32 PM
Well using a Mac is your first problem............  :P

*runs and hides from Brant*

If I'd have known Bison was a Mac pussy I never would have agreed to be seen with him in public.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

Tallin

Current VASL (3.92) won't run with current Vassal (3.22).  You will need to run an older Vassal (3.120) to get VASL to work.  You can have more than one version of Vassal installed on you machine.  The powers that be are working on an update to Vasl to get it to run on 3.22 but not happening yet.

Bison

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Tallin on February 25, 2013, 02:11:28 PM
The powers that be are working on an update to Vasl to get it to run on 3.22 but not happening yet.

I was wondering about that....
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Bison

Vassal is smooth as silk with some of the modules I've loaded.  The exception being Combat Command Pacific.  It's broken.  Maybe a capability issue?  I'm not sure.  Things like cards not be face forward in your hand or when you play them.  All you see is the back of the card.  A bit silly but there you have it.  Also there are 0 cards in the fate deck.  I'm loading up two new builds for vassal which are different from the one on GMT.  Crossing my fingers this fixes the issue.

Bison

I also need to install an older version of Vassal for ASL.  Once I get that setup and I re-read the rules from ASLSK1, I think I'll be ready for a Vassal session.  Hoping to get there in a week or so.

Bison

OK before I get too far ahead of myself.  I've downloaded all of the boards.  Now do I put the entire folder into the boards folder or do I copy the individual boards and put them in the boards folder?

I assume this will be the same for extensions, overlays, and scenarios.

Bison

Ok.  I've got the boards in place and was able to open them through Vassal 3.1.20.  Now I've also added in a few extensions.  The 3d6 extension, but I don't see it as an option on the top tool bar.  Is this normal?  Also the scenario link appears to be dead.  Where can I get the scenarios?  What are the recommended extensions?  I've picked up3d6.mdx, MapInv.mdx, obaFlowchart.mdx, Tray.mdx