Are you playing the wrong game when...

Started by JudgeDredd, December 07, 2013, 05:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Some of these feelings, that it would seem many of us share, may come from the constant glut of cheap, digital download games on sale at sites like Steam.  I sometimes feel compelled to buy something that is only marginallly appealing and that I wouldn't buy at full price, but when it's on sale 6 months later for $6.99 I do it and then do little more than fire it up to make sure it works, maybe play the tutorial, but then move on to that next $6.99 sale game....and on and on.  Back when games were at full price, purchased in a store with a physical box and cd and not likely to be on sale for years, I would learn the game, play it often and come to appreciate its subtle nuances and such because it would be awhile before I would plop down $50.00 for another game. These sales are both a blessing and a curse.

MetalDog

Rayfer, I certainly think you have nailed at least one aspect of it.  I will say that there is a partial cure for that problem - being poor.  It's why I don't find it affecting me too much as I AM poor.  However, I have had the good fortune of collecting games through various sources through the years, so, I would say that there are times that I look at the screen and go, "I wonder what is happening at Grogheads," rather than firing up a game.  So then I come here and annoy people ;)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Tuna

Quote from: MetalDog on December 07, 2013, 10:50:34 AM
Rayfer, I certainly think you have nailed at least one aspect of it.  I will say that there is a partial cure for that problem - being poor.  It's why I don't find it affecting me too much as I AM poor.  However, I have had the good fortune of collecting games through various sources through the years, so, I would say that there are times that I look at the screen and go, "I wonder what is happening at Grogheads," rather than firing up a game.  So then I come here and annoy people ;)

You're not poor!, You're annoying!!!!

MetalDog

I AM poor!  AND annoying!  Wanna play some Warlock?

JudgeDredd

I think for me it's a combination of too much choice and not enough focus.

GJK - you know me and my board games. I love 'em. I do get far more enjoyment out of them than my computer games - but even then I have to be in the mood to pull them out, set them up and play them. So I don't think I'm burned out on computer games...just as I said above - spoilt for choice and no focus.

For example I've been waiting patiently for F12013 to hit the sale. It did so, but for 50% off and I thought that wasn't enough...so I left it. But I'm still hoping the steam sale has it for less...but why? I've had 2010, 2011 and 2012 and not once have I even raced a season in any of those games. A few races here and there yes - but not a whole season.

I need to decide to give a game a go and then drop the rest...but with so many games scratching a different itch, it's hard to take them off.

Anyway - I am thoroughly enjoying Splinter Cell:Blacklist - by far by a country mile the best game I've bought in the sales and if I knew it was as enjoyable to me, I'd have paid full price for it.

Anyway - out for a pint tomorrow
Alba gu' brath

Rayfer

LOL...I share your situation,I retired a few years back so I am now on a fixed income and don't have the funds to be frivolous with game purchases. I am much more selective these days and yet those cheap sales are so enticing because they are cheap and not necessarily great games.

bob48

Spoken for truth. Many of the games I play were given to me by some nice folks here on Grogs. With my own retirement looming at the end of this year, I have to think twice about buying games, at least until we see how our finances cope.

Never fear MD, I will get Warlock 2 and I'll be chasing you to resume our Sunday MP games.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Tuna

Quote from: bob48 on December 07, 2013, 11:52:42 AM

Spoken for truth. Many of the games I play were given to me by some nice folks here on Grogs. With my own retirement looming at the end of this year, I have to think twice about buying games, at least until we see how our finances cope.

Never fear MD, I will get Warlock 2 and I'll be chasing you to resume our Sunday MP games.

Would love to hop on Warlock with you guys.. but I slept late.. we have company coming tonight.. so I'm sure if I set to 'gaming' today, that will not go over well!!!

MetalDog

Sorry, JD, going to derail this thread for just a moment.  Once Warlock 2 comes out, I expect we'll get all the old cronies back together.  Tuna, bob, bart, Windi, TCT and so on.  Really looking forward to it as I miss our MP games.

Tuna

Quote from: MetalDog on December 07, 2013, 12:03:45 PM
Sorry, JD, going to derail this thread for just a moment.  Once Warlock 2 comes out, I expect we'll get all the old cronies back together.  Tuna, bob, bart, Windi, TCT and so on.  Really looking forward to it as I miss our MP games.

I just renewed my Teamspeak subscription, that we haven't even used since the last time we played!.. Funny, I used to play a lot of MP, with the kids too.. so it got a lot of use back then.. CoD.. BF 1942 - 2142 - 2.... Company of Heroes.. etc.. etc..

bob48

In a way, this goes back to what has been said earlier, about being burned out on a game. I've logged 422 hours on Warlock, and think its still a good game, but you do get to a point where you have to stop for a while. we have to hope that W2 is going to be 'better', and will give at least as many hours fun as did W1. I know that I would go back and play w1 again if W2 did not happen or if it does and don't live up to expectations.

The main thing for me is that, yes, I miss the MP games as well, not so much for the game as for the good conversation and laughs that we enjoyed whilst playing.

'Clip those corners'

bob48

Quote from: Tuna on December 07, 2013, 12:12:36 PM

I just renewed my Teamspeak subscription, that we haven't even used since the last time we played!.. Funny, I used to play a lot of MP, with the kids too.. so it got a lot of use back then.. CoD.. BF 1942 - 2142 - 2.... Company of Heroes.. etc.. etc..

MD and I just used the voice stuff in Steam and that works fine.

'Clip those corners'

Tuna

Quote from: bob48 on December 07, 2013, 12:17:13 PM
Quote from: Tuna on December 07, 2013, 12:12:36 PM

MD and I just used the voice stuff in Steam and that works fine.

Quality of TS is much better!.. Don't think I had the pleasure of playing with you Bob, probably due to timezone.

I agree, there a lot of games, that I just don't have the urge, even though I love the concept.. WITP AE is one... I enjoyed the tutorial  scenario of WITP vanilla, and that made me want to buy AE.. but then I'd reached my limit of micromanagement..

This is one reason I wish they did the same graphics mode for Vanilla that they did for AE, then I'd give it another shot. If  you're gonna charge a premium price, then keep support the thing darn it!

WITE bought it the day it came out.. enjoyed my short time playing some of the small scenarios.. always think I wanted to do the big campaign but told myself that I wanted to wait till the ironed the bugs out..  wasted of 80 bucks...

This keeps me safe from Matrix other high price offerings... even though I like the Ideas and concepts.. I can easily say no to the Command: Modern Air.. and World in Flames offerings.. Others are not so strong.. Although, if you got tons of playing time out of it, then Kudos, it was worth the price.

Funny though, I've easily sunk well over 200 into FSX last few months..

A2A Accusim for B-17       30
REX                                44 (was on sale for 22 the next week grrrrr)
GEX NA                           34
UTX NA                           34
PMDG 737 NGX                59
Twin Otter Extended       27
Real Air Lanclair Legacy     24
Orbx Pacific NW and aiprts 43

I guess the piecemeal purchasing part of it lessens the pain.. But then, I have been putting a lot of hours into it, so I think I got my Money's worth.. But, on the other hand, there are so many other items I want for it, that I really think I need to try an break this addiction!!!!

I think it just shows how successful the method of these mega sales is, when it makes all of us buy stuff that we really don't even want. When you can sell something to a customer, that they don't even really want, you are going to be successful. I know that we all have tons of games from the Steam/Gamers Gate/Good Ole... etc.. etc... sales, that we have not even touched or at the most, just fired up to see if it works after install and never gone back. For me that list is long, and a lot of the items are premium quality games.

I do have the group that I always go back to... Civ IV, V.. Total War series.. Warlock (when played with friends  ;D)

CptHowdy

I do this with free to play games all the time. start em up stare at the screen and then uninstall  :-[

GDS_Starfury

like what?  because I need something to do on this pos macbook.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.