Games I was wrong about

Started by mikeck, December 15, 2013, 03:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panzerde

There's a period of several years in the mid-2000's where I played essentially nothing but WoW becuase everything looked bad to me.  I've been having a lot of fun going back and buying "classics" on the cheap and playing them.  The latest is Temple of Elemental Evil, which I picked up on GOG for $2.99 the other day.  Having a blast with it.

The Elder Scrolls games, specifically Morrowind and  Oblivion were games I didn't play when they came out becuase I thought they looked weak.  Then one day I saw my son playing Oblivion, saw the day/night cycles and the weather, saw some depth...and lost something like 500+ hours to it.

I'm sure I have an entire list, inclusive of some of the games mentioned above.  I did really like Endless Space right from the start, though.

OTOH, there are a bunch of games I feel like I should like, but simply can't get into no matter how hard I try!
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 15, 2013, 04:31:56 PM

this and Wargame Airland Battle - i thought id be overwhelmed by the clicking, but its not like that for me - i need to spend more time with that too!

we seem to be of the very rare opinion that the game isnt a clickfest.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

Every time I try to get into Witcher 2 I play for maybe 20 minutes and then get mercilessly slaughtered, no matter what path I take. I just can't get into that game.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 16, 2013, 06:46:59 PM

this and Wargame Airland Battle - i thought id be overwhelmed by the clicking, but its not like that for me - i need to spend more time with that too!

yeah, i dont know if people are getting in too deep, too quick and getting overwhelmed - i made sure to take it a step at a time and i love it, just forgotten to play it

Jack Nastyface

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 16, 2013, 02:35:26 PM
I was like this with Achtung Panzer! I got it and just could not get over the "Russian" UI hurdle.  However, right around the time APOS came out and before they made the switch to GT, I forced myself to get into it and I now firmly believe it is one of the greatest games of our time.
That's a pretty solid endorsement...would you still recommend picking up the original AP: kharkov or the AP: Operation Star?
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on December 16, 2013, 09:32:10 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 16, 2013, 02:35:26 PM
I was like this with Achtung Panzer! I got it and just could not get over the "Russian" UI hurdle.  However, right around the time APOS came out and before they made the switch to GT, I forced myself to get into it and I now firmly believe it is one of the greatest games of our time.
That's a pretty solid endorsement...would you still recommend picking up the original AP: kharkov or the AP: Operation Star?

I highly recommend APOS, as well as the more modern Graviteam Tactics titles (ie. Operation Hooper and Shield of the Prophet.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Dolan50

APK43 is no longer supported by Graviteam and cannot be updated.
It's over 4 years old and outdated.
Everything from APK43 is in APOS(GTOS).The graphics are better now and so is the gameplay.
Plus there are many more features with APOS(GTOS).
You also can't add any DLCs to APK43.

There's really no point in getting APK43 unless your nostalgic and want an older inferior product then what is being offered now with GTOS.

I keep a copy of the APK43 demo on my PC just to look at how much this game has improved and come along over the past 4 years.A very amazing and welcome transformation.
I would recommend skipping APK43 and going for APOS then update(free) to GTOS for the better experience with this game.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

republic

I didn't think I'd like Bioshock Infinite and I was 100% sure that Minecraft was a scam because I'd stumbled upon it early before all the hype.  I remember pressing the purchase button hoping I would actually get something in return.  lol

But the biggest surprise for me is probably World of Tanks.  I was spending the night at a friend's house when I got my beta access.  I set it to download while we went out to eat.  I don't remember anything except World of Tanks for the remainder of my visit.  :)

Evocrhon Mercenary was a nice surprise as well.

BanzaiCat

Huh. That never occurred to me either that it's a clickfest of an interface. I can see how it might be, but that's if you can't leave well enough alone and constantly adjust your units. So far the AI seems to manage my units' movement rather well. I won't have a chance to get more into this game until the holidays, but I'm looking forward to it.

mikeck

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 17, 2013, 08:06:43 AM

Huh. That never occurred to me either that it's a clickfest of an interface. I can see how it might be, but that's if you can't leave well enough alone and constantly adjust your units. So far the AI seems to manage my units' movement rather well. I won't have a chance to get more into this game until the holidays, but I'm looking forward to it.
Keeping in the spirit of the thread I may visit wargame European escalation and find that it really is a good game. For now count me among those who find it to be a clickfest.  it's fine until you actually make contact with the enemy, then all of a sudden there's missiles and explosions everywhere. by the time I figure out what the Hells going on all my units are exploded
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Al

I bought Strategic Command: WW1 without realizing that it had "squares" instead of hexes.  I thought this sucks and put it away for a while.  I re-visited the game a couple months later and found the game very easy to get in to and that the squares actually worked well.  It's about all I'm playing right now in my very limited gaming time.
Al

Con

For me it was Batman Arkham.  I really didn't like the game and regretted purchasing it for close to full price when it came out.

After about a year later I pulled it out to play feeling that since I spent a good chunk of cash on it I should give it another try and this time it hooked me.  I played all the levels and achievements almost non stop.  I particularly liked the hidden question marks from the Riddler that you had to line up and discover.

Con

W8taminute

I can honestly say that I've never played a game where I thought it was bad but upon revisiting it later loved it.  For me it's always the opposite that's true.  There are quite a few games I've bought that I instantly went ga ga for and couldn't get enough of.  Then all of the sudden out of the blue I detested that game with a violent vengeance. 

XCOM: Enemy Unknown was just such a game for me.  I know quite a few here love the game and so did I initially.  I couldn't believe how good a job Firaxis did on recreating the old XCOM game without changing much about what we all knew and loved of the old games.  Then the ugliness that is this game reared it's head at me one day.  I really can't stand that game anymore.  They should have had Slitherine or AGEOD make the new XCOM.

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Martok

I don't know that I've ever played a game I considered to be truly bad, and then later changed my mind on it.  For me to pronounce a game as being actually bad, I generally had to have played it quite a bit in the first place...in which case I'm highly unlikely to later change my mind anyway. 

I *have* changed my mind on a few games that I initially found to be decidedly mediocre, and/or was less than impressed with at first.  Probably the best example of that (for me) would be Armada 2526

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

FarAway Sooner

Closest I can come is Fallen Enchantress, because with the purchase of Legendary Heroes, I'm 5x more interested.

I also had a similar experience with Eador: Genesis.  The first couple times I played, it seemed like a repetitive, visually uninspiring and kinda simplistic remake of Heroes of Might & Magic.  Then, the complicated goodness of it started to bubble up, and the next thing I knew, I'd spent a couple nights in a row playing until 2 in the morning.   ???