Tragic Loss of Pilot and WW2 Era Spitfire

Started by ArizonaTank, May 28, 2024, 02:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

A WW2 era Spitfire and the pilot were lost on Sunday.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/28153105/raf-pilot-spitfire-crash-planes/

Of course, the loss of the pilot is a tragedy. And in this case, he seems to have been a good conscientious pilot. May he rest in peace and his family find solace. 

I know this makes me a stick in the mud...but I really wish they would not fly these original aircraft. There are plenty of workshops capable of producing excellent reproductions to feed the public's desire to see them in action. IMHO, we don't need to keep endangering these historical treasures.

I don't think they are necessarily more dangerous than other aircraft, but every time one goes up, there is a very small chance it will be lost.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Redwolf

Saw this on facebook. RIP.

As far as flying vintage aircraft, let's wait for the investigation. If it was engine failure on takeoff - well that happens to single engine GA planes quite often. It just doesn't get reported as widely as a D-Day Spitfire crash.

al_infierno

In addition to endangering historical treasures, it seems unnecessarily risky for the pilots to fly in almost 100-year-old planes for the sake of a show.  I agree with you AT, it makes way more sense to use modern reproductions.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

FarAway Sooner

Yeah.  I really appreciate being able to tour the "original" WW2 boats and planes, whether it's one of the 3 WW-2 aircraft carriers I've visited, the USS Pampanito docked in San Francisco, the U-boat stored in the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, the restored B-29 housed outside Pueblo, CO or a handful of B-17s around the country.

My brother and I originally had flying together in a B-17 on our Bucket List.  After I visited Normandy, my opinion of that is changing.  The vehicles are fascinating to behold, but it was the deeds done in those vehicles that really warrant my admiration and attention.