3d printed Star Wars & Warhammer 40k figures

Started by eyebiter, January 11, 2013, 06:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

ha - the end of the Forgeworld monopoly, oh and a massive law suit for even thinking you could 'print' a dreadnought without GW saying so!!

Concept is awesome, i saw a documentary about some guy discussing printing a house for himself, piece by piece

LongBlade

I'll be honest. I haven't kept up with 3D "printing." It's probably time for me to learn how it works.

I agree with Undercover. That disturbance in the Force is the sound of a hundred heads at GW collectively having an aneurism.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Toonces

Ok, I've never heard of this and you got me, so I did some research.

First, that is very cool.  I've never heard of 3D printing before, and had no idea such a thing existed.

Second, I clicked on a retail 3D home printer, just out of curiosity, and it was $2800.  So, if these things run $2-3000 a pop, how in the world is this an economical way to make yourself figures, unless you plan to sell them, which is apparently illegal?

Third, well, I guess there is no third.  Neat idea for someone who has a spare 3D printer laying around I guess!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Toonces on January 11, 2013, 08:58:40 PM

First, that is very cool.  I've never heard of 3D printing before, and had no idea such a thing existed.

Second, I clicked on a retail 3D home printer, just out of curiosity, and it was $2800.  So, if these things run $2-3000 a pop, how in the world is this an economical way to make yourself figures, unless you plan to sell them, which is apparently illegal?

Third, well, I guess there is no third.  Neat idea for someone who has a spare 3D printer laying around I guess!

If someone can make an economical version then the at applications would be immense.  However, I wonder about the durability of items printed.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

eyebiter

Over time the quality will improve, and the cost will decrease as 3D printing technology becomes more common.

3D printing's forthcoming legal morass
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-05/31/3d-printing-copyright

LongBlade

You've apparently never seriously looked into GW games. I've probably spent $1000 - $1500 in WH40K minis and by no stretch is this considered a large army. It's rather modest compared to others. If you're seriously into the games a $3000 printer would easily break even (not including materials costs, obviously) for many, and if you started in on some of the Forgeworld stuff you'd pay for that sucker in no time.

Agreed that no one should sell whatever they make with them.

Toonces

Interesting.  That's an expensive hobby you got there, LB.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

LongBlade

Quote from: Toonces on January 11, 2013, 10:44:39 PM
Interesting.  That's an expensive hobby you got there, LB.

Not that this works in my case, but is more applicable to the hobby in general. ;)

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: LongBlade on January 11, 2013, 09:34:45 PM

You've apparently never seriously looked into GW games. I've probably spent $1000 - $1500 in WH40K minis and by no stretch is this considered a large army. It's rather modest compared to others. If you're seriously into the games a $3000 printer would easily break even (not including materials costs, obviously) for many, and if you started in on some of the Forgeworld stuff you'd pay for that sucker in no time.

Agreed that no one should sell whatever they make with them.

IMO people should be able to sell what they make. If they are doing a knock-off of an active patent that is out of course.

The guy in the article made some tanks. He made his design. That is not a GW design. They have no rights to it. AFAIN GW has trademarks and copyrights. They do not have patents.

The copyright means someone else can not copy their material. The guy in the article did not. He made his own tanks. The only thing he may have screwed up is the banners. If they are GW symbols of units that is protected.

If he submits his plans without banners to the internet they become public domain. Anyone can make that tank on their printer for themselves or for profit. It did not say he put a limitation of use on his designs.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Mr. Bigglesworth

Looking at the picture of his tanks again it looks like a Blood Ravens symbol on the tanks. GW has every right to object to that. What was he thinking?

Barthheart

You can get printers for cheaper than that already...

http://magicfirm.theshoppad.com/#/product/mbot-cube-3d-printer-dual-extruder

Toonces

Ok, so I was telling my wife about this thread last night and she said that I'm not allowed to play Warhammer.

Problem solved!  (because I was really starting to eyeball one of those printers!)   8)

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Toonces on January 12, 2013, 01:43:15 PM
Ok, so I was telling my wife about this thread last night and she said that I'm not allowed to play Warhammer.

Problem solved!  (because I was really starting to eyeball one of those printers!)   8)

Get the warhammer computer games. They are awesome.