Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

^Disappointing, but not unexpected I suppose. Looking forward to trying this out...especially interested to see how it will work out in VR. I'll admit that although I love piloting spacecraft in VR, the SRV makes me extremely uncomfortable and  somewhat queasy. Only a few VR titles have given me that sensation, but they all involve moving in a vehicle over land through a lot of different elevations.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Frontier have stated that first person VR will not be a thing for now.
But they do realize many play in VR, so when you go FPS mode you will look at some kind of virtual monitor (or something to that effect) so that you don't have to take off your headset.

IMO that doesn't sound very neat, but ofc I haven't seen it in action yet.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on January 13, 2021, 04:42:43 PM
Frontier have stated that first person VR will not be a thing for now.
But they do realize many play in VR, so when you go FPS mode you will look at some kind of virtual monitor (or something to that effect) so that you don't have to take off your headset.

IMO that doesn't sound very neat, but ofc I haven't seen it in action yet.

Yeah...that absolutely blows. Sounds like it will be like watching a video through the VR headset. So in essence, playing traditionally in a windowframe with shitty resolution.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

The first public alpha build of the Odyssey expansion is live.

Downloading now...

Phase 1 features:

New commander creation
On-foot in 1 system: Adityan
Travel via Apex Interstellar shuttle service
Variety of local missions available from NPCs and mission boards.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Initial impressions are that it is very early and rough. Took awhile to be able to get in since I kept getting CTDs on loading. I figured it may have to do with VR and once I went into Horizons and shut VR off, I was able to load Odyssey. Once in, I had a lot of low res texture popping issues.   I'm going to let it bake a bit more before investing a lot of time. I'll spend some more time with it this weekend and explore more, try to take on some missions etc. Very early thoughts though are that it doesn't hold a candle to Star Citizen yet.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Pete Dero

Elite Dangerous Odyssey is released (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1336350/Elite_Dangerous_Odyssey/)

Review scores are bad so far (crashes, bugs, lack of optimization, ...)

Guess I'm going to wait for a while  :(.

Jarhead0331

^This was my impression of the Alpha. Pretty much unplayable for me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

I am having performance issues on 4K res in any 'on foot' session, be it stations or planetary bases.
Framerate is in the mid 20's with slowdowns dipping to single digits.
Altering graphics detail settings does not seem to help much at all.

In cockpit I have a steady 60 fps. So there is something going on inside the game for sure.

But gameplay wise I do like Odyssey so far. The sense of scale is very much improved now that you can walk next to the big landing gear of your ship.
Being able to enter buildings and have a lobby in stations where you can see ships coming and going live is very much adding to the feel of being in a virtual world.

Its clear the initial release is a foundation rather than the end and I am very much looking forward to seeing it become fleshed out as we go. But as it stands right now I am surely going to loose hours again playing Elite.

If only they can get the optimization done.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."