Nork Nukes Nearing Nuisance?

Started by bayonetbrant, March 14, 2017, 11:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Labbug

Quote from: mirth on September 05, 2017, 08:25:20 AM
I suspect Iran already has the information. It's the tools and materials that are harder obtain.

They have been sharing military hardware and training for about 30 years.  I suspect the North Koreans will provide the tools and materials they can spare and/or point them to black market sources of these tools and materials.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Labbug

Perhaps people should read the Science Fiction Novel "Level 7".

Gusington

Also read Ted Koeppel's Lights Out if you want to scare the crap out of yourself in preparation for the real thing.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bbmike

Quote from: Gusington on September 05, 2017, 01:26:51 PM
Also read Ted Koeppel's Lights Out if you want to scare the crap out of yourself in preparation for the real thing.

All you had to say was Ted Keoppel to scare the crap out of us.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

Ha! Well my work is done here. Time to finish up that bunker.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

So an interesting discussion has started on BGG about the Norks and Seoul in this AAR for Next War: Korea
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/26915038#26915038

I, and apparently lots of other people, have long heard that the Norks have tons of arty pointed at Seoul and that they could flatten it at the start of any hostilities with little to nothing we could do to stop it.

A gent chimed in with what appears to be first hand knowledge and makes a very good case that this is BS.
QuoteWell there part of the problem since I really doubt that those news writers have ever been there either.

The distance from Seoul to Pan Mun Jeon is approx. 35 miles or around 56 KM's.

US 155mm Arty has a range of around 30 KM's with Rocket assist Round and normal range is 22.4 KM's.

The BM-21 122mm Rocket Launcher has a max range of around 20 KM's

This link has an article about NK Arty

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/4/25/1656090/-North-Ko...

North Korea would have to setup their Arty in/near or south of Pan Mun Jeon and well that would not go unnoticed. Plus Arty is usually setup several KM's behind the lines.

So as I pointed out above most conventional Arty does not have the range necessary to fire 60+ KM's in order to reach Seoul and these Arty pieces would have to be setup to the Northeast of Seoul since the distance from the North along with the terrain blocks Seoul from that direction.

I have had the pleasure of being stationed in Korea for a total of four years; 1977-1979, 1979-1980 & 1990-1991 as an Intelligence Analyst for the US Army.

So I have driven that terrain and those hills north of Seoul would still be where they were 26 years ago.

I know there are some very knowledgeable people on this site about this theatre. If his statements are true, and they certainly make sense to me now that I think closely enough about it, where did this myth of Nork arty come from and why is it so well spread?

mirth

Quote from: Barthheart on September 14, 2017, 10:53:32 AM
where did this myth of Nork arty come from and why is it so well spread?

The media loves to play it up and it largely goes unchallenged.

Barthheart

Quote from: mirth on September 14, 2017, 11:02:09 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on September 14, 2017, 10:53:32 AM
where did this myth of Nork arty come from and why is it so well spread?

The media loves to play it up and it largely goes unchallenged.

Agree, but where did they get the idea.... not being smart enough to come up with it themselves....

mirth

Barthheart