Nork Nukes Nearing Nuisance?

Started by bayonetbrant, March 14, 2017, 11:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Airborne Rifles

The Chains of War DLC for CMANO is really interesting in how it portrays a Chinese and Nork ballistic missile vs. US ABM systems. It's just a simulation, but our ABM capabilities seem pretty robust if it's accurate, especially with the THAAD and SM-3 systems.

GDS_Starfury

wheres that 747 with the nose mounted laser?
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 12, 2017, 08:33:12 AM
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/09/18/the-risk-of-nuclear-war-with-north-korea

Evan Osnos of The New Yorker joins and a conversation with Marly Rivera of ESPN and Luis Miguel Echegaray of SI
SI Media Podcast With Richard Deitsch

https://art19.com/shows/si-media-podcast/episodes/c50bb0e1-465f-4f89-bd10-587338f73c12

QuoteEpisode 137 of the Sports Illustrated Media podcast features Evan Osnos, a staff writer for the New Yorker, whose latest piece from the Sept. 18, 2017 Issue is the titled "The Risk of Nuclear War with North Korea."

In this podcast, Osnos discusses his reporting inside Pyongyang; how he was able to get permission from the North Korean government to travel for his reporting; the real and perceived tension between North Korea and the United States; how Americans should view the North Korean diplomats who work in New York City; how forthcoming his North Korean minders were to him; whether he worked under the assumption that he was being filmed and his phone was tapped; how much anxiety he had on the assignment; how to report on U.S. intelligence's data on the progress of North Korea's weapons development; what North Koreans thought of Donald Trump; meeting children at the Pyongyang Orphans' Secondary School; what it was like to wake up in Pyongyang to a Donald Trump tweet on North Korea; how far he was able to extend outside the capital; whether Kim Jong-Un knew he was there; what his first 48 hours were like in North Korea, and much more.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on September 14, 2017, 08:26:53 PM
The Chains of War DLC for CMANO is really interesting in how it portrays a Chinese and Nork ballistic missile vs. US ABM systems. It's just a simulation, but our ABM capabilities seem pretty robust if it's accurate, especially with the THAAD and SM-3 systems.

We've made a lot of progress in the last 25 years. Aegis/SM-3, in particular, seems like a very capable system. I'd give at least even money that we could knock down a Nork ballistic missile.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

US Ambassador Haley: the United Nations has gone as far as it can with NK.

http://webcenters.netscape.compuserve.com/news/story/0002/20170917/KCN1BS0IN_2

Going to be a fun General Security Council this year... http://webcenters.netscape.compuserve.com/news/us/story/0002/20170917/KCN1BS0EH_2

(By 'fun' I do not mean fun.  :( )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

the problem isn't defeating north korea.
the problem is South Korea having to pay for a reunified Korea.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

Meh - Germany did it (over the course of 25 years), Korea can do it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on September 18, 2017, 11:29:32 AM
Meh - Germany did it (over the course of 25 years), Korea can do it.

Correction. The US tax payer did it. Germany was rebuilt with American money, So too will be the case with South Korea...at least, whatever is left of it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mirth

Yeah, we'd foot most of the bill for a unified Korea.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 18, 2017, 11:37:40 AM
Germany was rebuilt with American money

West Germany was.  But post-reunification, West Germany spent a lot of their own money on 'catching up' the Osties, with massive investments in infrastructure (roads & electric grids especially), education, and technology, as well as cleaning up a lot of post-Soviet environmental messes around military bases.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

^Yeah what I was referring to was post-1990 in Germany. That said, rebuilding/integrating North Korea with South Korea may be more difficult and more expensive. Hard to gauge which disparity was greater - the one between East and West Germany and the one between North and South Korea.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 18, 2017, 12:16:24 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 18, 2017, 11:37:40 AM
Germany was rebuilt with American money

West Germany was.  But post-reunification, West Germany spent a lot of their own money on 'catching up' the Osties, with massive investments in infrastructure (roads & electric grids especially), education, and technology, as well as cleaning up a lot of post-Soviet environmental messes around military bases.

I presume you mean EAST Germany spent a lot of their own money after re-unification. That's not really a good comparison since that effort was not directly after a destructive war. The Post-WWII effort to rebuild West Germany is much more synonymous to what would likely occur on the Korean Peninsula when and if we destroy much of it. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on September 18, 2017, 02:37:20 PM
^Yeah what I was referring to was post-1990 in Germany. That said, rebuilding/integrating North Korea with South Korea may be more difficult and more expensive. Hard to gauge which disparity was greater - the one between East and West Germany and the one between North and South Korea.

Then you too are using an example that in my opinion is not as compatible to what we will see in Korea in the event of a modern war.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

^The effort after another Korean War would be both, a combination of the Marshall Plan and the reunification plan in Germany. And probably cost trillions. But it could be done.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on September 18, 2017, 02:40:49 PM
^The effort after another Korean War would be both, a combination of the Marshall Plan and the reunification plan in Germany. And probably cost trillions. But it could be done.

Can definitely be done. I'm just saying, we will be paying for it mostly.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog