Main Menu

Age of Wonders 4

Started by RedArgo, January 19, 2023, 01:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedArgo

AoW4

Announced today with a May 2, 2023 release date on PC and consoles.

I haven't went through the details yet, but looking forward to this one.

Gusington

Wow...didn't see that coming.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Just from the screenies, it looks like AoW3 with some slightly better graphics.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

bobarossa

Looks like big thing is ability to design your own races.  Cannibal halflings is mentioned.

Sir Slash

Yeah but can you do Halfling Cannibals? Loved AOW back in the day but not something I'm dying to play now unless there's something new and shiny added.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tanaka

My most highly anticipated game of 2023!

CJReich46

Hmmm...and you can create your own races too? Interesting and it comes out after my birthday too. Will be keeping my eyes peeled.  :Dreamer:
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

RedArgo

new dev diary
dev diary 1

It has been a while since I played AoW3, and I certainly got my money's worth out of it, but here are a few of the things I'd like to see "fixed"
1) campaign got pretty repetitive
2) I liked having 8 units per army from the older versions, instead of 6 from AoW3
3) I'd like to see the higher level units be more special.  Maybe something like:
  • level 1 - Orc common
  • level 2 - Orc Leader uncommon
  • level 3 - Troll rare
  • level 4 - Giant Troll (sorry I'm not too creative :)) very rare, like panic inducing when you see one coming
Instead it doesn't take long to have whole groups of level 4 guys running around

Sounds like they are incorporating some elements from AoW: Planetfall too, but I didn't play that too much and remember even less.

JasonPratt

AoW3 shuffled the magic balance a lot from previous entries, where the magic usage was designed to be more like Master of Magic: once upon a time, if you weren't buffing your troops with semi-permanent spells you were playing it wrong. In AoW3 that was practically eliminated. I'd like to see them get back to that, although to be fair it did create a distinction.

The race/faction generator is more than enough to justify a new version in my opinion!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

devoncop

Having watched Dastactic and his in depth analysis of the presentation by Triumph Studios and Paradox, all I can say is "Wow".

They have changed a LOT of customisation from AoW3 for the better and replayability should be off the scale.

Very impressed if they follow it through with decent AI.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

SlagDog

Quote from: devoncop on January 20, 2023, 01:04:30 PMHaving watched Dastactic and his in depth analysis of the presentation by Triumph Studios and Paradox, all I can say is "Wow".

They have changed a LOT of customisation from AoW3 for the better and replayability should be off the scale.

Very impressed if they follow it through with decent AI.

+100

After watching Dastactics review I was hooked!

FarAway Sooner

I have really enjoyed these games, but only played AoW: Planetfall a couple times before utterly losing interest.  The gameplay felt very formulaic and repetitive, and the only thing that differed much from the previous titles was the skins on the units.  I've just not been very impressed with the city building mechanics in that series, although I've owned all 4 games from the series!

The campaign games for the last couple versions haven't resonated much with me.  AoW3 was a very good e-mail game (I have to play mostly by e-mail, because with a busy family I and my friends can find very little common time to play).  I will watch this one eagerly.  They do some things VERY well!

Destraex

Have to say I am not a fan of the cartoonish cell shaded art style a lot of games seem to be going for these days.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

devoncop

Quote from: Destraex on January 21, 2023, 01:50:17 AMHave to say I am not a fan of the cartoonish cell shaded art style a lot of games seem to be going for these days.

I do agree with you on that point.

I would have much preferred a more gritty 'realistic" design but AoW4 was never going to give us that unfortunately.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games