RBM Studios Gettysburg

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 14, 2023, 07:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Just released and only for $4.99.....seems like based on boardgame designs of the past.  Seems worth to take a $5 chance:)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2492030/RBM_Studios_Gettysburg/

In RBM Studio's Gettysburg, take command of either the Confederate or Union forces for the Battle of Gettysburg, the single bloodiest battle of the U.S. Civil War. Each side has an historically accurate order of battle that details when and where reinforcements will arrive, letting the player attempt to outdo the generals of history. As the Confederate commander Lee, it's your task to either crush the Union forces or secure a safe route for your continued invasion of the North. As the Union commander Meade, you must at least match the losses inflicted by the Confederates while also securing the roads leaving Gettysburg towards D.C.

RBM Studio's Gettysburg features gameplay based on the historical wargaming boardgames of the 70's and 80's. Players maneuver markers that represent their units on a hexagonal map that mimics the gameboard and cardboard counters of traditional boardgames. Turns are completed in an "I go, you go" style, wherein players alternate their turns with their opponent until one player passes. Once that happens, a random number of unopposed actions are given to their opponent. Pass too early and you risk giving your opponent the opportunity to maneuver completely around your forces. Combat is resolved through die rolls modified by terrain, battle line factors, and the use of artillery support. Attackers benefit from flanking defenders. Defenders benefit from being in defensible terrain.

Artillery support is a finite resource, so think carefully about when to use it. If both players use artillery in an engagement, an artillery duel is conducted in which at most one player will receive the bonus but both players risk losing additional artillery support if their opponent's cannon manage to hit their own.

The Confederates begin the game with less artillery support but ultimately receive more units and benefit from a greater area of influence generated by General Lee. Only the Union player can deploy a special sharpshooter unit that protects a single hex from the Confederate advance. Careful placement of this unit can help block a Confederate advance farther into the North.

Key Features

Command your units in an historically accurate representation of the real Battle of Gettysburg.
Maneuver to try and pin your opponent's forces, while keeping your own free to act.
Manage your artillery usage to avoid being overrun late in the game if your opponent still has resources left.
Choose your fights carefully - losing artillery and men attempting to capture a well-defended hex without adequate preparation is a sure path to defeat.
Solo play as both sides to explore the rules and potential strategies.
Online multiplayer play against a human opponent.

Old TImer

And the AI is supposed to be decent.  $5?  No brainer for me.

Bardolph

Anyone try this yet? Apparently Herman is releasing a board game covering a couple ACW battles using a slightly more complex version of the rules behind this Gettysburg game. Mark himself posted a link to the rules from the C3i mag that the Gettysburg game was in, but I found that on my other computer, will post it here later if anyone is interested.

Grim.Reaper

Only played a few minutes, but seemed to be ok, especially for $5.  Wasn't familiar with the rules so I'll need to read up on them as I quickly lost a game because it said I didn't cover all routes, which wasn't sure what that meant.

Old TImer

I snapped it up.  It's not a very complex game, yet.  You move Union and/or CSA regiments as they enter the map more or less historically.  I've only played a few turns (and got my *ss kicked by AI, no great accomplishment) but it's a beguiling little system where units move and    fight alternately.  Special rules for Union sharpshooters.  It's a pretty interesting little puzzle to get your Union forces up to the hills south of Gettysburg before the CSA advance too far.  That's as far as I've gone so far. I can see it becoming more complex as more units enter the fray.  Don't feel bad at all having dropped $5 on it at all.  Neat little game.

If Mark Herman (the designer) is making a more expansive version of this (I'd love to see an Antietam) I would definitely check it out. 

Old TImer

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 16, 2023, 08:51:12 AMOnly played a few minutes, but seemed to be ok, especially for $5.  Wasn't familiar with the rules so I'll need to read up on them as I quickly lost a game because it said I didn't cover all routes, which wasn't sure what that meant.

The CSA path to victory is to occupy the Union reinforcement areas.  I assume covering the route is a Union requirement to "cover the route" of the CSA to those areas.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: gregb41352 on December 16, 2023, 08:36:40 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 16, 2023, 08:51:12 AMOnly played a few minutes, but seemed to be ok, especially for $5.  Wasn't familiar with the rules so I'll need to read up on them as I quickly lost a game because it said I didn't cover all routes, which wasn't sure what that meant.

The CSA path to victory is to occupy the Union reinforcement areas.  I assume covering the route is a Union requirement to "cover the route" of the CSA to those areas.

Not sure I fully understand how for this not to happen as it occurred during my first turn with only a few units on the board.  With only a few units, not sure how I could cover all possible routes to these areas, I'll have to dig deeper into the instructions.

Bardolph

Here's that link to the C3i version Gettysburg rules, which I guess were the basis for this game. I picked it up, will give it a try.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NGBv8xUZc4lF0XWCcvG4Vtb8ltwIlUKh/view

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Bardolph on December 17, 2023, 04:11:59 AMHere's that link to the C3i version Gettysburg rules, which I guess were the basis for this game. I picked it up, will give it a try.

Thanks, but no link shows for me.

Grim.Reaper

Thanks, appreciate it.  Played the tutorial this morning, it helped also with the basic concepts so between the two I have a better understanding, although will take a bit to make it all click for me.