Which Internet protection do you use?

Started by steve58, November 29, 2020, 09:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

So in January(?) Comcast/Xfinity will be eliminating the free Norton they have been providing. Currently I see I can get Norton 360 for ~$20-$25 and I may end up springing for that.  Don't really like that they are hard pushing auto-renewal.  It can be turned off, just going to have to set an alert/reminder.

Just wondering what other Grogs are using on their PCs?
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Combination of BitDefender and Malwarebytes.....I have tried others over the years (i.e. avast, norton, mcafee, kaspersky, etc.) and BitDefender is the least intrusive that I have ever used.  To the best of my knowledge, my computer has never been infected and does not report false positives often (actually rarely).

Tripoli

I've used Norton 360 for years and have been happy with it.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

-budd-

Avast free, Malwarebytes premium, and Win10 defender
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

solops

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 29, 2020, 10:16:03 AM
Combination of BitDefender and Malwarebytes.....I have tried others over the years (i.e. avast, norton, mcafee, kaspersky, etc.) and BitDefender is the least intrusive that I have ever used.  To the best of my knowledge, my computer has never been infected and does not report false positives often (actually rarely).

+1. That is exactly what I am using and what I have used, plus AVG and another I cannot recall.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Pete Dero

AVG internet security suite
Anti malwarebytes
CCleaner

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Millipede

I'm in the same situation as Steve58 and I'll look around but Norton has been good to me and I've been using it since it was rewritten it, so that it wasn't the resource hog that it was years ago, and that was prior to Xfinity providing it free. I'm sure that there are other competent security suites out there but, as I say, Norton has been good to me for a decade or more and I'll probably stick with them.

Lotti Fuehrscheim

I only use the standard Windows protection, and Firefox's security. For the last twenty years. I have never been infected with malware or been the victim of nasty stuff. For most of that time I also ran internet services from my network.

My opinion on other protection software is that they just produce problems. They also nag you because they want to make you feel they were worth the money spent on them.

For what it is worth, I am a retired software engineer and I have built network solutions for Dutch and European government agencies.

Boggit

Norton 360. Was using Norton Security until today when I upgraded.

I know Sauron40 uses Avast - a free virus protection and he swears by it.

I agree with Lotti's comments about protection software producing problems, especially with heuristics and marketing followup on virtually every little thing. :-\
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Pete Dero

Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on November 29, 2020, 08:10:04 PM
For the last twenty years. I have never been infected with malware or been the victim of nasty stuff.

Most malware doesn't want you to know you are infected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_(computing)

Botnets of zombie computers are often used to spread e-mail spam and launch denial-of-service attacks (DoS attacks). Most owners of "zombie" computers are unaware that their system is being used in this way.

https://computer.howstuffworks.com/zombie-computer.htm

Boggit

Quote from: Pete Dero on December 04, 2020, 04:17:38 AM
For the last twenty years. I have never been infected with malware or been the victim of nasty stuff.

Botnets of zombie computers are often used to spread e-mail spam and launch denial-of-service attacks (DoS attacks). Most owners of "zombie" computers are unaware that their system is being used in this way.

That is very true. Good point.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

JasonPratt

I have CCleaner, but don't use it for protection issues.

I use paid Avast. It still nags me to buy more stuff on a somewhat regular basis.  ::)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Lotti Fuehrscheim

Quote from: Pete Dero on December 04, 2020, 04:17:38 AM

I used to monitor my network activity, as I had webserver, mailserver and ftp-server running on my network. Never noticed anything but failed stupid attacks.

I have also regularly ran external scans that don't install themselves on your PC.

And of course I have always been fully patched and for the last decade have always the standard Windows protector running, that causes only the minimum of disruption.

And I don't run MS Office, which removes a large attack vector, and I don't visit dodgy websites (and when I did I used a virtual machine running Linux that resets itself after use. All part of good internet hygiene.