Fallen Entrantress: Legendary Heroes

Started by Bison, May 12, 2013, 03:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

This is the game that Elemental should have been when it released.  Stardock has really come through with this one and it's going to be a classic IMHFO.  I has much more depth than Warlock, a smooth interface, the graphics have received an upgrade, heroes are much more versaitile, and the tactical combat has been revamped is very fun.  It's still in beta for another week, but it's a very fun game right now.  I've only seen one possible bug so far.  I have  a warg den, but for some reason I'm unable to recruit warg riders.  TBH this might be do to a research or building requirement that I'm lacking.  EDIT:  I'm an idiot.  I just designed a War Rider in my units tab and now I can recruit them.  Yay!  I'm so smart!

Here are some screenshots.  Sorry about the quality, but it's due to the screenshot setting I have enable on Steam.  Frankly these screens do not do the game justice.

Kingdom overview 3D:

Kingdom overview paper map:

Kingdom management screens:

Combat:

I didn't take shots of the most exciting combat.  The quick take aways:  More terrain features that give bonuses or limit movement, and random battle grounds for each combat.

I'm sure there are bugs that need to be squashed, but this is no Elemental. 

Those of you who originally purchased Elemental get a free game code.  You get the code from your Stardock account.  However it is a Steam key that needs to be redeemed there to download the game.

Huw the Poo

Thanks for posting!  This looks great.  I was already pretty happy with Fallen Enchantress so if this is even better, I need to start playing.

Capn Darwin

I have to say I like it too. It would be nicer if you got heroes faster and if your heroes got levels faster to move through the ability trees to some depth before the game is over. Graphics are very good. Balance seems much better than the other games of the series.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Nefaro

They've been adding so many small patches lately, I've not tried playing a full game yet.

It's looking good from what I've seen, though. 

Tpek

This game has been getting secret/silent patches all the time.
Steam never mentions its updating.
And now I guess I've missed the that the full was was just released :P

Capn Darwin

Latest version is 0.90. Only item I see that is tough to deal with is taking enemy cities and then having them at 100% unrest. Make it impossible to build anything in them forever. Hopefully that gets tweaked in the next patch. 0.90 has made city fighting better and the unit spamming in cities is gone. AI is using spells at times and is pretty good mixing ranged and hth units.

Definitely fun.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

mikeck

I really want to like this game. Tried Age of Wonders 2: shadow magic but it didn't grab me...two "fairies and unicorns and pixie dust" for me. I need something a bit more dark. Maybe this is it. I tried fallen enchantress but it didn't do much. I need to feel like I'm part of the world (something AoW did well by the way). This looks good so far!

Release is May 22 it seems
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

TheCommandTent

First I have to admit I am still bitter/angry over the E:WOM debacle, so much so that I never downloaded and played any of the free games/expansions I was given.  Bison you are making me rethink this policy.  I've got nothing to lose and it will be on STEAM which will be nice.  Although just to be safe I think I might want to wait until the game is released and had at least once patch applied.  These guys are on a short leash with me now.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Nefaro

Kinda reminds me of Civ4 fantasy-style, with an extra tac combat layer.  Moreso than other fantasy strategy games I've played lately.

son_of_montfort

I played the beta earlier, but it CTD'ed on me. I think they were still working out some of the kinks. But it put me off of it until the official release.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Bison

Quote from: mikeck on May 12, 2013, 08:02:01 PM
I really want to like this game. Tried Age of Wonders 2: shadow magic but it didn't grab me...two "fairies and unicorns and pixie dust" for me. I need something a bit more dark. Maybe this is it. I tried fallen enchantress but it didn't do much. I need to feel like I'm part of the world (something AoW did well by the way). This looks good so far!

Release is May 22 it seems

I'd say that there are some pretty dark elements to the game.  For example I'm playing as Oracle Cesera right now.  She is a pretty dark faction to the point that I can kill one of my heroes and steal their powers.  This faction's leader is all about curses, life drain, and summoning.  Even this map board is dark. 

Bison

Quote from: son_of_montfort on May 12, 2013, 09:35:37 PM
I played the beta earlier, but it CTD'ed on me. I think they were still working out some of the kinks. But it put me off of it until the official release.

I've got over 7 hours in game so far and no crashes.  The water seems pretty safe right now.

Bison

Quote from: TheCommandTent on May 12, 2013, 09:01:17 PM
These guys are on a short leash with me now.

They were with me too, but I think they've really learned from the Elemental debacle.  If you already own the game, then what risk do you really take with it?  If you hate the game uninstall and swear off Stardock forever, but I don't think you will hate the game.  That's how good I think it is.

Bison

Quote from: Nefaro on May 12, 2013, 09:09:22 PM
Kinda reminds me of Civ4 fantasy-style, with an extra tac combat layer.  Moreso than other fantasy strategy games I've played lately.

Definately.  I've only had limited experience with the diplomacy, but so far it seems pretty inline with Civ.  Nothing to crazy so far.  Although I did have a faction premitively pay me tribute, before I crushed their measely army in a tactical battle!  Chumps.

mikeck

Can you still buy the beta or is it closed now?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson