Fallen Entrantress: Legendary Heroes

Started by Bison, May 12, 2013, 03:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Bison

So lesson learned tonight.  When you meet an old blind man chained down in a dungeon and he claims to have been the servant of a Dark Priest...walk away.  Fast!

The old man turned into this crazy ass demon spawn.  He had upwards of 90 hit points which is pretty damned high from what I've seen in game so far.

It turned into a very painful victory for my hero.  She was beat down to 0 HP before my last troop standing took out the demon.  Cool I beat a demon.  Not so cool I lost my awesome Sand golem and my hero got 0 XP for beating the demon because she decided to lay unconscious on the floor.  :(  She also lost a finger.  You can see the note on the following screenshot.  This is a pretty cool feature.  When your hero falls in battle, they generally have some sort of adverse effect.  In this case she lost a finger.  I don't remember what it does exactly now, but I think she perminately gains a negative attack bonus.  Harder to hold that flaming axe now I reckon.  Stupid demon.

The quests are similar to Elemental in that they are text based and go to such and such location until you find item/monster/person and then generally a fight insues.

I was wrong when I thought tiles on the battle map provided +/- bonuses.  Sadly it's not the case, but I hope they add it into the game later.  Some folks might not like the tactical battles, but I do.  I find them to be pretty enjoyable in a not overly hurt your head trying to calculate the best odds to ratio factors kind of way.  See monster.  Attack monster.  Use different spells/abilities to beat the baddies.  Learn to use auto resolve on weak encounters to save some time and the hassle of beating down one or two weak foes.

son_of_montfort

"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Huw the Poo

Quote from: son_of_montfort on May 12, 2013, 09:35:37 PM
I played the beta earlier, but it CTD'ed on me. I think they were still working out some of the kinks. But it put me off of it until the official release.

Stardock have really struggled with this engine and I would hope they've got it working well after all this time.  WOM and to an admittedly much lesser extent, FE, did not like to run on my PC.  I'd get either CTDs or at least a load of DX errors.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Bison on May 12, 2013, 09:41:49 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on May 12, 2013, 09:01:17 PM
These guys are on a short leash with me now.

They were with me too, but I think they've really learned from the Elemental debacle.  If you already own the game, then what risk do you really take with it?  If you hate the game uninstall and swear off Stardock forever, but I don't think you will hate the game.  That's how good I think it is.

I think you've convinced me to try the game but I won't until it is out of beta and they have a few more kinks worked out, just to give it a fair chance.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Greybriar

No matter what they do to try and improve the game, it still looks and plays like Elemental. Which is not a bad thing if that's what you want.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Bison

Quote from: Greybriar on May 13, 2013, 06:37:06 PM
No matter what they do to try and improve the game, it still looks and plays like Elemental. Which is not a bad thing if that's what you want.

I think on the surface level in some regards this is true.  However the game's mechanics are dramatically different from Elemental.  Some of the overarching concepts remain like elemental resources, heroes, quests and such but from my vague recollections of playing elemental the actual game plays out much differently.  The graphics of the map are essentially the same but the hero/monster models have been redone.  Also Stardock has brought onboard a number of developers from CIV IV and V to help redo different aspects of the game.  It's honestly a damned shame that this game falls under the shadow of the Elemental debacle.

tgb

I've been playing .90 and find it to be rock-solid and quite enjoyable.

Swatter

Sounds interesting, but the tie breaker for me is that Brad Wardell is a gaint douche.

Nefaro

Isn't the 'official release' supposed to be the 22nd of this month?

As if that makes a big difference.  There'll probably still be regular patches before and after. *shrug*  It looks to be pretty polished right now.

Bison

Quote from: Nefaro on May 13, 2013, 11:35:20 PM
Isn't the 'official release' supposed to be the 22nd of this month?

As if that makes a big difference.  There'll probably still be regular patches before and after. *shrug*  It looks to be pretty polished right now.

Yeah it offically releases on the 22nd.  It'll be interesting to see what they bring out for bug fixes, balancing and such before it goes gold.  Honestly the game is running without a hitch for me.  I'm finding it to be quite challenging and I am not playing on a very hard level right now.  There's just a lot of mechanics and layers to the game that I need to learn.  I'm sure with all games there are systems of how to max out your heroes/armies/civilization expansion to best the AI everytime.  Right now I'm locked in mortal combat with 2 civilizations.  They had me on the ropes there for about 15 turns, but I think I've turned the corner.  I'm definately not on a major offensive at the moment.  I've spent a ton of magic points and burned through a good amount of army units to recapture lost lands and push the fight against one of the factions.  I thought I'd finally cornered and beat the leader, but he's got a hidden city or two somewhere.  The real problem I have right now is I need to keep fighting because the terms for peace are too high and out of reach atm.  Which is fine because I've been slowly building up units to restock my heroes and I just recuited a pretty bad ass female hero commander.

Quote from: Swatter on May 13, 2013, 08:47:27 PM
Sounds interesting, but the tie breaker for me is that Brad Wardell is a gaint douche.

Well fortunately no one can force you to buy the game.  If I stopped buying games from developers/publishers who suffered a bout of douchbaggery from time to time, there be quite a few less games on my hard drive.

Martok

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Bison.  I've had the beta downloaded for some time now, but have been waiting to actually play it -- partly because I was waiting for it to be further patched, and also because with all the other games I have, there's no particular hurry.  Sounds like I may want to fire it up sooner rather than later, however! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Huw the Poo

I'm torn between taking a look this weekend and waiting for release...

RedArgo

I've been playing since this thread started, well not constantly, and I've yet to have any problems.  I like the new combat skills, like spears going through two units and the bashing.  Also, the way heroes gain new skills is nice too with the tech tree like view. I'm sure I'm missing things under the hood that changed, but I'll figure those out as I go.

SgtRock

Quote from: Greybriar on May 13, 2013, 06:37:06 PM

I had high hopes with the original but, the latest version seems to have borrowed a little too much from the Civ games and lost it's original flavor. They still can't get boats with island maps to fully work, removed most of the RPG elements like marriage, balance still seems strangely off at times, no randomness in the tech tree, plus random crashes.  It seems like nothing more than a some what more refined version of the same thing, how many versions of do we need? They tried to create Master of Magic and ended up with a Civ light game.