Main Menu

No Man's Sky

Started by Jarhead0331, December 09, 2013, 06:50:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

noob...  Im still waiting on Road to Moscow.  ::)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Toonces

WANT!

Any word on a release date?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Swatter

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 09, 2013, 06:02:51 PM
noob...  Im still waiting on Road to Moscow.  ::)

Was that one delayed?  ;)

ComradeP

I agree with some of the comments on that trailer, that procedurally generated might mean "looks nice, but it has no soul".

It could be good, but it could also be trying to mix too many kinds of games into one package and we know how that tends to end up. If it's even released at all.

Seeing is believing.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

LongBlade

Nice find JH. Let's see how this evolves.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Jarhead0331

Yeah...glad to see this thread bubbling over with positive karma.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Lol, well JH, the trailer is just a hype-train isn't it? I mean, what actual game mechanics does it show now?
Its cool what we see in the trailer, no doubt, but as far as I am concerned just because of the potential of gameplay and the pretty pictures. The sense you can go anywhere you can see. The sense everything is procedurally generated and virtually limitless. That's all pretty cool indeed, but it doesn't neccessarily make for a great or fun game, especially not anymore once the novelty of just exploring wherever you want to go wears off.

According to the words of the interview, the game should have some depth and action too, but we don't really see how this all works in the trailer. That's why I am skeptical.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 10, 2013, 08:07:28 AM
Lol, well JH, the trailer is just a hype-train isn't it? I mean, what actual game mechanics does it show now?
Its cool what we see in the trailer, no doubt, but as far as I am concerned just because of the potential of gameplay and the pretty pictures. The sense you can go anywhere you can see. The sense everything is procedurally generated and virtually limitless. That's all pretty cool indeed, but it doesn't neccessarily make for a great or fun game, especially not anymore once the novelty of just exploring wherever you want to go wears off.

According to the words of the interview, the game should have some depth and action too, but we don't really see how this all works in the trailer. That's why I am skeptical.

No...you're right. I'm sure the idea of the game will end up being better than the actual product we get. That is almost always the case unfortunately.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

LongBlade

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 10, 2013, 10:55:42 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on December 10, 2013, 08:07:28 AM

No...you're right. I'm sure the idea of the game will end up being better than the actual product we get. That is almost always the case unfortunately.

I like to hope for the best.

What I see from the trailer is that they've mastered a kind of god-like planet creation algorithm. Whether they're as good at making a space combat game with all that remains to be seen, but I am hoping for the best.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MengJiao

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 09, 2013, 01:27:33 PM
not very realistic at all.  the guy didnt even towel off before getting in his starfighter.  do you know how expensive starfighter upholstery is?  not to mention dog fighting in a pair of wet swim trunks!

And sand all over.  If everything is Procedural, how will that work in a MMO?

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 10, 2013, 07:51:54 AM
Yeah...glad to see this thread bubbling over with positive karma.

well... Im positive its moving along better then GhostRiders game.  ;)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MengJiao

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 09, 2013, 05:43:47 PM
got your grumpy trousers on?  :P

I sympathize.  I liked the style of the trailer -- for a trailer -- for a game it might get old in about 10 minutes.  Plus, I've just been flying the DCS Su-25T, which is about as close to a sports car with blasters as I ever want to pretend to fly.  Plus, a few minutes of TAke on Mars convinced me that people have barely scratched the surface of what you can do in space games and it looks like No Man's Sky takes all the most superficial aspects of space games and makes them even more superficial.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: MengJiao on December 10, 2013, 12:01:10 PM

I sympathize.  I liked the style of the trailer -- for a trailer -- for a game it might get old in about 10 minutes.  Plus, I've just been flying the DCS Su-25T, which is about as close to a sports car with blasters as I ever want to pretend to fly.  Plus, a few minutes of TAke on Mars convinced me that people have barely scratched the surface of what you can do in space games and it looks like No Man's Sky takes all the most superficial aspects of space games and makes them even more superficial.

Maybe...but playing Take on Mars is sort of like watching paint dry.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

MengJiao

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 10, 2013, 12:23:56 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on December 10, 2013, 12:01:10 PM

Maybe...but playing Take on Mars is sort of like watching paint dry.

While you try to figure out if the stuff really is paint.  Alien paint, man.  Annd where there's wet alien paint, maybe there are some alien artifacts and you might see them if you could figure out how to move that camera arm without snapping off your relay mast.

Yskonyn

Quote from: MengJiao on December 10, 2013, 11:55:24 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 09, 2013, 01:27:33 PM
not very realistic at all.  the guy didnt even towel off before getting in his starfighter.  do you know how expensive starfighter upholstery is?  not to mention dog fighting in a pair of wet swim trunks!

And sand all over.  If everything is Procedural, how will that work in a MMO?

Each time something new is 'found' it is procedurally generated, only to be there for the next player who comes. Of course then that part is 'found already' and part of the 'known universe'.
So its only procedurally generated the first time something gets found. At least that's how I understand it.

Much like the indie game Malevolence
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."