Oh my...Elite Dangerous:Horizons

Started by JudgeDredd, August 28, 2016, 04:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 06, 2016, 06:21:12 AM
The thing holding players back is incentive. There is no reason to role play police because there is no reward. No promotion system, no awards or medals, and no authority granted by the game world. Again, what I envision would be a fully realized career path for law enforcement, and of course it would be supplemented by AI patrols. But it would be great if players could enlist, have their ships and gear provided in one form or another and have actual authority to interdict, Scan and enforce the laws.

Yeah a free (powerful) ship and regular salary would be good for law enforcers.  If they abuse their power, the get court marshalled. 

Nefaro

I recall "Bounty Boards" way back in the chaotic gank-filled days of Ultima Online.

Players could put up money for a bounty on another player's head, after being killed by them.  The reward would build up on the "PKers" over time.

There was a problem, though.  Players with a huge bounty on their head would just arrange for a buddy, with a non-criminal character, to come kill him so they could split the game currency. 

I recall some other MMO(s) that tried putting flat rewards on them, but they were never enough regarding risk vs reward.

undercovergeek

This had a fledgling life in elite, people would post videos or stories of their demise and pay people to go get revenge - the FD stopped you naming people for such a thing, then people simply PMd the details and then they got banned, there's a way round all that but I don't think FD liked it for some reason

Yskonyn

Interesting discussion and I like your ideas Jarhead.
Has there been any recent discussion about this on the Frontier forums or perhaps even from a dev? I don't follow their boards.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 06, 2016, 05:55:23 PM
Interesting discussion and I like your ideas Jarhead.
Has there been any recent discussion about this on the Frontier forums or perhaps even from a dev? I don't follow their boards.

Unfortunately, not really.  Braben has said that crime and punishment will be addressed in the future, although no one really knows when that will be. 

There is a serious balance on heat meta being done for 2.2, enough that a lot of PvPers are pretty hot about it (see what I did there).  That should at least provide some needed balance to PvP fights rather than "who shoots first wins".  I'm not sure how much good that'll do long term though, like shield cells and silent running builds before, someone will find something new to break. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

sandman2575

Agree that crime and punishment needs an overhaul.

Here's something that bugs me:  pirates flying Federation military ships (dropship/assault/gunship) in Federation space. You have to have a rank in the Federation Navy to get these ships. Are these guys all just renegades or something? I can see them as 'privateers' raiding Alliance or Imperial systems. But Federation systems? Makes little sense...

mikeck

Always bugged me when games let players fly military ships. I would have a pretty hard time getting my hands on an Arleigh Burke destroyer to sail around...or a fully armed Apache Gunship to fly at work.

If you want to fly one, join the space navy. Use it until you quit or enlistment runs out.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Yskonyn

Quote from: mikeck on October 06, 2016, 08:07:30 PM
Always bugged me when games let players fly military ships. I would have a pretty hard time getting my hands on an Arleigh Burke destroyer to sail around...or a fully armed Apache Gunship to fly at work.

If you want to fly one, join the space navy. Use it until you quit or enlistment runs out.

Well its a little more nuanced: you do need to rank up in the faction if you want to be able to fly faction ships.
And it doesnt really matter its a military ship in Elite, because everyone is flying around with heavily armed vessels. Last time I checked I didn't have multicannons on my Boeing at work, nor on my pleasure yacht.

I don't like the fact that you can rank up in both sides, though. It should be mutually exclusive.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Yskonyn

A little tip for JH with his massive screen: adjust the FOV beyond the slider in the options.
I run 80 FOV now (slider max is 60) and that makes you see more of the cockpit and aids in the sensation of speed when flying near objects or over a planet's surface.
You get a very slight deformation at the extreme screen edge, but if you dont go higher on the FOV its a good compromise.

Find the setting at:
\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Graphics\settings.xml

NOTE: Its vertical FOV, not Horizontal. For 100 degrees horizontal you should use 67.67.

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on October 06, 2016, 08:07:30 PM

Pirates Of The Burning Sea restricted Ships of the Line to only Naval Commander characters.  The pirates were restricted to single-use frigates & smaller, which was appropriate, but they could also capture prizes and keep/convert them to their own use.

Not sure if Naval Action has the same restrictions, being very similar to PotBS, but I think this approach could work well in other MMOs.  Maybe even Elite, although I doubt they'd move to such a scheme this far after release.

Panman

Long time lurker here ... just starting in Elite. 

Open Play suffers from the same thing that other MMO's do; some RPG the game and for others its just another PvP/MOBA to min/max the character/ship/weapon as much as possible.  Trying to provide an environment where you can accommodate both play styles is very hard to accomplish.  They are at complete odds with one another. 

I don't think there is a simple answer.  I hope they don't get rid of solo play ... I will stop playing if they do.  I would prefer Open or Group play that focused more on the RPG aspect of the game.  I have no problem with PvP that makes sense in the setting.  If I run through a known pirate infested area and am taken out, so be it.  That was my choice ... my risk ... and I'd have fun win or lose the engagement.  A group that can close down a system by sitting outside the no-fire zone with no fear of any repercussions just kills the immersion for me.  I'll stick to solo for now ... but hope to find a group server to play on in the future.

Jarhead0331

Damn it. I guess there is a first time for everything...

I just upgraded my FSD to a 5A capable of making 28 LY jumps. So I'm on my merry 480 LY journey back to Ceos making fast progress when I get into a desolate region populated with stars that are useless for refueling.

I'm now in the middle of nowhere and my fuel tank is nearly dry. I'm 250 LY from my destination and I don't really see any populated space anywhere nearby.

Are there any options other than to self-destruct?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Filter the map on stars with the letters 'KGBFOAM' those are scoopable stars (you do have a fuel scoop don't you?). There probably  is one within range.
Otherwise you can either submit a request to get refueled by the fuel rats (fuelrats.org) or self destruct.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 07, 2016, 09:43:46 AM
Filter the map on stars with the letters 'KGBFOAM' those are scoopable stars (you do have a fuel scoop don't you?). There probably  is one within range.
Otherwise you can either submit a request to get refueled by the fuel rats (fuelrats.org) or self destruct.

Of course I have a fuel scoop! Sheeeesh.  :buck2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Where is the filter option in the galactic map to type in 'KGBFOAM'?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog