Did MP ruin your SP vs AI experience?

Started by Tanaka, January 20, 2022, 09:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanaka

Quote from: MengJiao on January 31, 2022, 03:53:50 PM
Quote from: Tanaka on January 28, 2022, 09:30:19 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on January 27, 2022, 09:04:59 AM
^I have WAW but have only played the June 1967 Six Day War scenario.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/547620/Wars_Across_the_World_Six_Days_1967/

It's a fun war gaming system but a little too simplistic for my tastes as a single player game.  I do see however that it could be fun playing against a human opponent.

Yeah that's how I feel about the SGS games: https://store.steampowered.com/curator/36173274

I just can't get into them as the AI is poor and cards in strategy games are a turn off for me...

Does anyone enjoy these in single player?

I do.

Which one of the SGS games is your favorite? Could you go into more detail as to why you like them? I want to but need some convincing..

MengJiao

I liked Winter War and The Mexican War.   Many others were pretty bad, even Afrika Corps was kind of unexciting.  I might try Tunisia.  I liked the way the cards provided some
strategies, but also some uncertainty.

TheFjordFox

For me personally it's often more a case of "MP ruined my faith in humanity, and caused me to never feel like playing "game X" ever again"
I'm just another random.

Jarhead0331

I think I've put my finger on why I do not enjoy multiplayer gaming...I'm just too damn competitive. It no longer is about relaxation and having fun. It becomes totally about destroying the other side and winning at all costs. The heart beats faster, the adrenaline surges, etc. It's like a real confrontation and winning means saving face. Not fun at game time.

You should see my family when we play board games. My wife and I are so friggin cut throat. We both need to win...even in the most childish games we play with our 8 and 2 year olds. We don't even let the kids win. I'll always remember this time we took our daughter to a birthday party where everyone gets to paint a picture on canvas. The image was a unicorn with a rainbow and we both were so into out painting the other it was like we were painting the god damn Sistine chapel. Meanwhile, nobody is watching the kid or helping her with her piece...the kids were off somewhere flinging poop. We were just so focused on having the better unicorn. LoL.

Co-op is better, but it still becomes about performance which takes away from my ability to simply enjoy the game.

In any event, I may be speculating. But I think this has got to be the answer.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

^That is the answer for me. I just wanna chill. Most of the time.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Some of my best gaming experiences have been in MP, but mostly in games that are designed from the ground up to play that way.

For example, I had a multi-year run with Aces High 2 where through luck I joined a squadron of like-minded individuals.  It was just incredible to log on to the server, find a fellow squaddie, and fly as a team in the arena.  No SP flight sim I've ever played equaled the experience of a human-controlled wingman.

Similarly, if you can get on the right server, the RO2/Rising Storm series has been some great experiences. 

I've never played PBEM or other wargames like that.

So I guess the answer for me is "it depends."  99% of the time I'm SP, but playing MP in the aforementioned games is super fun for what it is.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Father Ted

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 01, 2022, 07:50:48 AM
I think I've put my finger on why I do not enjoy multiplayer gaming...I'm just too damn competitive. It no longer is about relaxation and having fun. It becomes totally about destroying the other side and winning at all costs. The heart beats faster, the adrenaline surges, etc. It's like a real confrontation and winning means saving face. Not fun at game time.

You should see my family when we play board games. My wife and I are so friggin cut throat. We both need to win...even in the most childish games we play with our 8 and 2 year olds. We don't even let the kids win. I'll always remember this time we took our daughter to a birthday party where everyone gets to paint a picture on canvas. The image was a unicorn with a rainbow and we both were so into out painting the other it was like we were painting the god damn Sistine chapel. Meanwhile, nobody is watching the kid or helping her with her piece...the kids were off somewhere flinging poop. We were just so focused on having the better unicorn. LoL.

Co-op is better, but it still becomes about performance which takes away from my ability to simply enjoy the game.

I'm more competitive than you...

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Father Ted on February 01, 2022, 01:50:19 PM

I'm more competitive than you...

No you're not!  :coolsmiley:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tanaka

Yeah that part can make it a lot more stressful than SP for sure. Being competitive vs another human makes you take games more seriously and thus stress. In my WITPAE PBEM I would get stressed out just loading the game thinking about getting my carriers sunk or something haha. Because you put all this work into a game and it can go down the toilet in one strike. So you can stress about it in real life.

I discovered when I started playing Band of Brothers music it became more fun and relaxing like I was watching a movie and being a part of it. I will lose as Japan but I can have fun making things difficult for my opponent. Just trying to enjoy the journey and not the destination. Less stress more fun the music helped a lot with that. So I totally get that. SP is definitely more relaxing.

W8taminute

Sorry guys but I couldn't resist based off of the last couple of posts.

Americans, traditionally, have always loved a winner.  And will not tolerate a loser!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Sir Slash

A virtual George Patton once slapped me for loosing a battle in Combat Mission.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Wburn

What I also like about multiplayer is that under most circumstances I will finish a game. It motivates me to get out of my comfort zone think and strategize a move. Whereas when I am doing single player, I get lazy and quit a lot of times if the game gets too long winded or I'm distracted. Most games we play do take a commitment of time more so than most board games I played when I was in school or before personal PCs.

Tanaka

Quote from: Wburn on February 02, 2022, 03:22:52 PM
What I also like about multiplayer is that under most circumstances I will finish a game. It motivates me to get out of my comfort zone think and strategize a move. Whereas when I am doing single player, I get lazy and quit a lot of times if the game gets too long winded or I'm distracted. Most games we play do take a commitment of time more so than most board games I played when I was in school or before personal PCs.

THIS yes very good point. I am motivated to keep playing and I cannot save scum and reload. I am so tempted to want to redo things when playing SP and quit especially mid and end games when things get bloated. MP really makes you have to deal with your decisions and losses and makes you have to carry on! Another great reason for MP so true!