Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uberhaus

Quote from: Skoop on April 12, 2024, 11:36:24 AMNote on French troops, sounds crazy but I think French troops taking over Ukraines logistics behind the lines and providing security on the belorus boarder could free up a ton of manpower right now and could be a short term solution.
and border with Transnistria.

Skoop

I saw the other day that Loyd Austin was pressuring Ukraine to stop with the Russian oil refinery attacks because it might hurt westerners more than Russia or have a domino effect on the fragile global economies thus hurting Bidens election chances.

Might just be political lip service, but I disagree.  The refinery strikes are the one thing that Ukraine can really hurt and affect Russia's war effort.  It's quite obvious that Russian oil is fueling its war effort and shrugging off the sanctions.
Ukraine should burn down all the Russian refineries......game on.

JasonPratt

Or per Red Storm Rising, go after the parts that are vital but difficult to replace. (Which seems to have been the plan so far.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Crossroads

https://twitter.com/emilkastehelmi/status/1779531397109080242

:undecided:

Then again, providing Ukraine with SOA air defence capabilities and letting them handle the attacks is preventing attacks, too. But to do it directly, apparently a step too far. I don't have a opinion on this, but a well placed provocative question it is.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

FarAway Sooner

I think this was a one-time attack that we had success in repulsing.  In Ukraine, my sense is that Western weapons systems (and anti-air systems in particular) have worked quite well, so long as they haven't run out of ammo. 

Of course, the West is dragging its toes to re-arm them with surface-to-air missiles, in part because our own inventories are so limited.  Of course, that could have something to do with the fact that a Patriot missile costs somewhere between 60 and 400 times as much as a Shaheed drone.

The nature of modern sustained warfare seems to require a different high/low mix than our current procurement systems seem interested to provide.  We seem to be taking the German approach to WW2 rather than the approach that actually won the war for the Allies.

Folks point to WW2 as a war of maneuver on the ground, but it really wasn't (in Europe at least).  It took 2 1/2 years of considerable bleeding through largely attritional warfare (much of it aerial) to weaken Germany sufficiently that the Allies were able to land on the French coast.

Uberhaus

It would be nice to see NATO frustrate Russia by shooting down drones and missiles launched against civilian targets. 

CNN had, I believe, General W. Clark on talking about how Ukraine had much more area to cover with AD, compared to Israel.

Windigo

That could be a tough sell, given that Russian oil refineries are on the drone menu.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Uberhaus on April 15, 2024, 11:40:29 PMCNN had, I believe, General W. Clark on talking about how Ukraine had much more area to cover with AD, compared to Israel.

General Clark, had his orders been followed by the British, nearly started World War III in 1999. Thankfully, he's no longer issuing commands, but hopefully those who do think twice about his advice. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Skoop

I've heard many pro Russians cite that Clark incident in Serbia.  They tout that as nato aggression and the sentiment is probably what lead to Putin's rise. 

I don't buy all the nato expansion bad and caused Ukraine war that's being put out there.  Something has to keep the Russians in check from gobbling up the Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania.  Eastern Europe is thriving living free from Russian rule, no way that would happen with out nato. 

We wouldn't need to move nato East if Russia would let Eastern Europe live in peace.

I think really, the failure is letting the Russians become enemies 22 years ago.  Nato moving East could have been a friendly alliance with Russia moving closer, some how diplomacy dropped the ball 20+ years ago.

Windigo

Never underestimate the power of monied elite types protecting their turf.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Skoop on April 16, 2024, 01:05:48 PMI've heard many pro Russians cite that Clark incident in Serbia.  They tout that as nato aggression and the sentiment is probably what lead to Putin's rise. 

I don't buy all the nato expansion bad and caused Ukraine war that's being put out there.  Something has to keep the Russians in check from gobbling up the Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania.  Eastern Europe is thriving living free from Russian rule, no way that would happen with out nato. 

We wouldn't need to move nato East if Russia would let Eastern Europe live in peace.

I think really, the failure is letting the Russians become enemies 22 years ago.  Nato moving East could have been a friendly alliance with Russia moving closer, some how diplomacy dropped the ball 20+ years ago.

I'm certainly not pro-Russian. Just pragmatic, level-headed and citing a very well-documented fact. I personally draw no connection between the Pristina incident and the rise of Putin.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

I remember when there was serious discussion of Russia joining NATO one day.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

I remember Patton telling Eisenhower to keep rolling east...

Gusington

Do you also remember Genghis rolling west?  :ROFL:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd