Wildermyth is a real gem

Started by devoncop, June 16, 2021, 11:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Been playing through the "starter" campaign and enjoying this one a lot.  The combat is fairly straight forward and streamlined, but has enough tactical nuance to be a delight to play through even on the "normal" difficulty setting.  By the third chapter of the campaign (or third campaign of the story?) my stronger characters were good enough that the combat wasn't particularly challenging when I had my A-team on the frontline.  However, the game mechanics seem solid enough that I imagine they scale well into harder difficulties, but remains to be seen from me.

The gameplay actually reminds me a lot of the Fire Emblem franchise, right down to characters developing relationships that give buffs for companion synergy.  In those games, you go through tactical battles where you generally have a couple super OP knight/lordly characters, and a bunch of villagers and grunts who desperately need tasty XP from killing enemies.  It was always a bit fiddly and frustrating trying to set up killing shots to level up your weak guys.  I enjoy how this game evenly distributes XP to everyone who participated in a battle, but you still get that Fire Emblem sense of having a super-powerful "jedi knight" type character who can do cool stuff like breaking off and handling multiple powerful enemies on his own while the rest of the party works together to contain another threat.  Better yet, this game provides that feeling more organically because those uber-powerful Jedis are characters you raised from lowly 18-year-old villagers.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

FlickJax

Enjoying this too, a couple of mistakes and bad decisions lost me a few characters though in 3rd chapter of first campaign....  always that rush of blood to the head :(

Did feel the loss and left me relying on 2 mains and 4 greener recruits/siblings :) like the legacy option and look forward to seeing my fallen comrades in future campaigns :) almost took the choice of a second maiming for my female hunter but thought was too cruel :) so let her pass with dignity.

devoncop

Glad you are both enjoying it too.

I am now on the  3rd stage of the second campaign against the mechanical monstrosities....

The fights are okay still on normal with my A team present but in the second campaign the map areas are bigger and incursions recapturing your lands more frequent so I can see already the need to split up my party of 7 to try and achieve more before the enemies become overwhelming.

The writing continues to be a delight.

I left a town to clear out a neighbouring  province and only then realised I had missed the opportunity  to recruit another volunteer  back at the town so doubled back and on arriving the volunteer actually said.... "oh thank goodness you are back so soon I thought I had missed my chance"......Clever and very immersive.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games