Streaming Gems (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)

Started by BanzaiCat, December 12, 2014, 09:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

Watched an...interesting....movie night before last called There Will Be Blood.  It kept popping on my recommendations so I finally sat down to see what the fuss was about.

It's a hard movie to describe.  The only movie I can think of that I've seen that was similar (and it's a stretch) is The Power of the Dog.

The premise of the former is the main actor is an oil speculator and while he starts out good, eventually he becomes corrupted and deceptive, and I guess goes completely bat-shit crazy at the end.  The music is unusual and the way it's shot is kinda artsy-fartsy, but not in a bad way.  I recommend it.

Ruthless silver miner, turned oil prospector, Daniel Plainview moves to oil-rich California. Using his adopted son to project a trustworthy, family-man image, Plainview cons local landowners into selling him their valuable properties for a pittance. However, local preacher Eli Sunday suspects Plainviews motives and intentions, starting a slow-burning feud that threatens both their lives.

And speaking of The Power of the Dog, that was another movie that I can't say 100% that I liked.  Well, that's not fair, I liked it, but I found it a challenging movie to understand. There was a lot going on and a lot of layers to unpack.  I'm not even sure how to describe the premise so I'll borrow from the internet:

Charismatic rancher Phil Burbank inspires fear and awe in those around him. When his brother brings home a new wife and her son, Phil torments them until he finds himself exposed to the possibility of love.

I don't want to post any more because part of the beauty of the plot is having no idea where it's going, or how it ends.  I recommend it, but it might be more of a date night movie if your spouse is into deep, complex love stories. 

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

al_infierno

There Will Be Blood is a modern masterpiece and a perfect film.  An absolute master class in acting, editing, and cinematography.  The unusual choices for music and shot compositions are part of the genius IMO, and there are some pretty good analysis videos (like I've linked below) that delve into the film's many layers.  It's very much a character study of a sociopathic conman, and on that note I'd argue Plainview was never really "good," but early on he showed signs of being at least redeemable.

Never seen Power of the Dog but that looks quite interesting as well.

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Toonces

If you loved There Will Be Blood that much then I'm sure you'll love The Power of the Dog.  It has that indie/Sundace Film Festival ambience. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

There Will Be Blood is epic, I love that movie. Daniel Day Lewis is just unreal.

The Wife and I both enjoyed Don't Look Up too.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I thought, "There Will Be Blood" was WAY overrated. Watching Lewis turn into a raving lunatic wasn't much fun. I liked him a lot better cutting people up in Gangs of New York.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

W8taminute

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

I love Gangs of New York - it is very cartoony, however. When I first saw it was hoping for something a little more like Once Upon a Time in America.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

I just finished watching an hysterical comedy special on Netflix: Jim Gaffigan: Comedy Monster

It's geared more towards adults, but it's PG-14, no cursing or otherwise unsuitable humor for children so you can watch it in mixed company.  Some of the jokes won't make sense to a 14 year old, though. 

Very, very highly recommended!   :bd:

Toonces

So I watched a Jim Gaffigan special with my wife the other night (Beyond the Pale) and she hated it while I loved it.  So...his humor isn't for everyone I guess.

Wife and I watched a very good movie on Hulu Saturday night called Mother/Android.  Best way to describe it is The Walking Dead with androids instead of zombies.  It's kinda a bummer movie, but we both quite enjoyed it.  Two thumbs up.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Watched the movie "Blood Red Sky" on Netflix. Without giving away too much of the plot it's basically "vampires on a plane."

Anyway, fantastic movie...plenty of great plot twists...the "bad guys" are not always obvious, and the movie is not what you would think...

BTW, it is a German movie, with some English actors speaking English, but mostly subtitled.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I just finished the 6 part series, "Rise of Empires: Ottomans", about the conquest of Constantinople. It was mildly entertaining but well done, kind of low budget but it had it's moments.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Toonces

Cracked on a few shows with Mrs. Toonces last weekend.

First up: The Girl in the Window across the Street from the Woman in the House (Netflix).  I did not care for it, although Kristen Bell   :smitten:  .  My wife thought it was hysterical.  Hard to describe, kind of a parody of thriller movies, but not nearly as slapstick as Scream.  It wasn't horrible; Kristen really makes it bearable.  But, meh.  We binged the whole first season in about 2.5-3 hours, so not the hugest time-sink.

We've also started watching The Gilded Age (HBO Max), mostly because my wife used to manage one of those houses in Newport, and she's into that Downton Abbey type stuff.  Again, not horrible (but not boss, either) but if your wife/partner is into those kind of chick shows, this one is tolerable enough to watch and get the goody points rather than something like Sex in the City or Real Housewives.

A recent oldie for me, just started watching Ozark (Netflix).  Got two episodes in, and I'm full in.  I'm like the last person in the world who hasn't seen it, kinda like Breaking Bad.  It's like BB, but it seemed to me a bit (lot) faster to get into the hardcore stuff.  Breaking Bad was kinda funny for a while; Ozark starts out dark and doesn't seem to get lighter so far.  Recommended highly for now.

Edit: Wife just reminded me.  We also watched a show that I'm pretty sure stars the same actor that was in the Mother/Android movie, called Euphoria (HBO Max).  This one kind of disturbed us both, and we only got one episode in before we moved on to lighter fare.  It's very, very dark and not a good-mood show, about young teenagers doing drugs, having sex, getting raped, and be all-around fucks.  And the chicks get naked a lot and are very young and it's altogether kinda uncomfortable to watch, like watching teen pr0n with your spouse.  I've read it gets very good, but so far I'm not sure it's a keeper for us.  With two children right in that demographic, it's maybe too close to real-world to be fun.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Toonces on February 06, 2022, 09:21:01 PM
First up: The Girl in the Window across the Street from the Woman in the House (Netflix).  I did not care for it, although Kristen Bell   :smitten:  .  My wife thought it was hysterical.  Hard to describe, kind of a parody of thriller movies, but not nearly as slapstick as Scream.  It wasn't horrible; Kristen really makes it bearable.  But, meh.  We binged the whole first season in about 2.5-3 hours, so not the hugest time-sink.

I liked it.  Maybe you watched it with the wrong bottles of red wine  ;).

It reminded me of The Flight Attendant (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7569576/).