Guardsman lies about record...

Started by Centurion40, June 08, 2012, 08:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Centurion40

... and Howard Stern is pissed.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/07/us/talent-military-accusations/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Why do people do this and think that they'll get away with it?? 
Any time is a good time for pie.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Centurion40 on June 08, 2012, 08:21:15 AM
... and Howard Stern is pissed.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/07/us/talent-military-accusations/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Why do people do this and think that they'll get away with it??

I know someone who has his close family convinced he was in a certain country during a certain conflict, when - in fact - he was in Europe. That doesn't mean his service record was any less needed or notable, but it is a white lie that is majorly problematic. Of course, he doesn't seek public honors for it.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Martok

Yeah, I don't get it.  There are so many different adjectives I could use to describe their actions, none of them complimentary.  Yet what I continue to fail to understand about this disgusting phenomenon is *why*. 

What motivates these pieces of scum to make these outrageous claims (and subsequently violate the trust of so many well-meaning people)?  Is it greed?  A desire/need to feel important and/or worthwhile?  Simple narcissism? 

I remember a story from -- last year, I think -- where a woman from northern Minnesota posed as a member of the MN National Guard, and subsequently suckered a good number of people into donating money to pay for the medical bills she'd incurred from her "combat injuries".  I believe she conned something like 15-20k out of these good people before she was found out. 

I still can't decide whether I was more sad or pissed off about the whole thing -- probably the former, if only by a whisker. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Mr. Bigglesworth

Lamer.

There was a guy on Masterchef (fox HD) the other night who showed up in uniform then claimed he lost his son then "was shot at, trucks blew up" story to get on the show. It will be interesting to see if that story holds up. Just showing up to a reality TV competition in uniform seems weird to me.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598