I hate waiting...

Started by republic, July 24, 2013, 06:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

republic

...So we are waiting on Republic Jr. to arrive.  My firstborn, a little girl, was a one day event.  A looooong day...but labor started and was over in a little over a day.

Republic Jr. is taking his sweet time.  We are on over a week of random contractions...and today they are somewhat regular.  We have a Dr. appointment in the morning and the Dr. is going on vacation next week.

To say I am biting my nails in anxiety...would be an understatement.  Last week I did Wargame Airland battle and World of Tanks...the past few days I've been reading about the Six Day War...but as "the event" gets closer I'm running out of things to keep my mind off of it.

I'm not sure why this time is so much more stressful...maybe because we're 6 years older and wiser?

Any suggestions on a distraction?

Gusington

There was nothing I could really do to take my mind off it when I was in the same boat. For our 2nd daughter, labor itself lasted over 24 hours! The Wife just didn't want to dilate completely.

I was used to that from her :)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Every pregnancy is different. My wife had a fast delivery with Daughter #2. But that doesn't mean it'll happen that way for you.

Both births were natural, but induced.

I wish a safe, healthy delivery to your child and wife :)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

DoctorQuest

DQ male child unit was a 24 hour hard labor ending in a ceasarean section.

DQ female child unit was a planned ceasarean timed on my Dad's birthday.

Here's wishing you and the wife well on this event. There is nothing quite like it.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Boggit

I hope the birth proceeds without real difficulty, and that you and your wife have a happy healthy child. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bayonetbrant

wish I had better advice; both of ours were planned c-sections
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

undercovergeek

No advice - just my best wishes and good luck sending

besilarius

One birth took around 24 hours.
Another, we'd been in there maybe four, and the doctor was teasing my wife that she wasn't dilate for him.
He took another measurement, and his face just about dropped, "Ohmygawd she's ten centimeters" and dashed out to change into scrubs.
After a couple minutes he called the nurse, "How much time have I got."
"All the time in the world."
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Keunert

Ella took 24hours... 24 hours of increible suffering and an incredible brave wife. i hope my death will be easier than this...
Marie took 3 hours, the birth giving room wasn't even ready when it started.

good luck to you
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

bob48

Son #1 was quite a long birth, started in the early hours of the morning and finally made his exit at around 5pm (he weighed in at 9lb 2oz). Son #2 was impatient to get out and took everyone by surprise and was 7lb 2oz. Now he's 6ft 2" and around 200 lb.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JudgeDredd

Any news republic? Good luck if it's still going on - and good luck anyway!
Alba gu' brath

republic

Well he didn't come over night, we're getting ready to head to the Dr. appointment this morning.  Hopefully he'll induce or something, we both are ready to get this kid on the way.  :)

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Amy's water broke very early on a Sunday Morning.  When we got to the hospital she was barely dilated.  It took most of the day and night for her to even get 3cm.  Finally, they began to induce and baby Amelia was born just past 0300 on Memorial Day monday. The whole affair took just under 24 hours.

There really is not much we can do as the dad...I don't recall ever feeling as useless as I did while Amy was laying there suffering.  All I could do was continue to reassure her, feed her ice chips and try not to say anything stupid.  I downloaded a bunch of apps for my ipad to just help pass the time.  One of them was called "Guitar Smule" or something like that, which played sort of like guitar hero.  So I started playing her some songs and that seemed to sooth her a little bit.  Other than that, we just had to plow through it, minute by minute.

Anyway, good luck Republic.  Keep us informed and post pics when you get 'em. We're thinking of you and yours.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Martok

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 25, 2013, 08:09:51 AM
Anyway, good luck Republic.  Keep us informed and post pics when you get 'em. We're thinking of you and yours.
What he said. 

I hope all goes well today republic.  We're keeping our fingers crossed for you. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces