Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarAway Sooner

History is full of despots who tried hard, Al!   ;D

I won my first game of Shadow Empires playing on Normal Difficulty, against real opponents.  I was playing on a near-desert planet, but started out close to one of the few small-standing lakes in the game, so was able to harvest free water right from the start.  That would have been a bigger advantage but my two major opponents ringed the same lake.

I had to revert to Saved Games a couple times to correct foul-ups (e.g., I overwhelmed my logistical system with so many resources flowing into my capital that I had no trucks left to send anything--including Food or Fuel--back out to my troops in the field, I inadvertently made friends with the religious zealots on my border before realizing that they were far too radicalized in The Church of the Holy Incumbent to ever peacefully join my nation).  The systems in SE are so dense and unforgivingly groggy, if you try to play Iron Man mode, you'll restart about 20 or 30 games before you make it up the learning curve.

Rayfer

Well done FAS....I haven't come close to winning a game of Shadow Empires, but I may hold a record for quick restarts after realizing X number of turns in that I have totally misplayed some vital function in the game.   :-[

Sparhawk

Shadow Empire is unforgiving. I salute anyone who doesn't get slaughtered out the gate.

al_infierno

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on February 24, 2021, 12:10:42 PM
History is full of despots who tried hard, Al!   ;D

Hear, hear!   :uglystupid2:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Anguille

Completed the campaign in Star Hammer: The Vanguard Prophecy. Fairly short campaign but fun. Now i look forward to play the Battlestar Galactica sequel game.

Also completed the Star Wars: Starfighter campaign a while ago.

My pending list of games to play gets (a little) shorter.

-budd-

Always nice to get a finish, bravo :clap:
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Sir Slash

Excellent Anguille!  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

nobodyjune61944

CJReich46

Quote from: Anguille on April 10, 2021, 03:12:06 AM
Completed the campaign in Star Hammer: The Vanguard Prophecy. Fairly short campaign but fun. Now i look forward to play the Battlestar Galactica sequel game.

Also completed the Star Wars: Starfighter campaign a while ago.

My pending list of games to play gets (a little) shorter.

Yay!
:clap:
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Gusington

I can't even remember how long I have been playing Diablo III but this afternoon I finally finished Act III...Act IV and V to go.

Even better, I moved on and finally started a campaign of Planescape: Torment. Is Morte the Skull's dialogue done by Steve Buscemi??

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Just looked it up and it is some guy named Rob Paulsen...he sounds just like Buscemi!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I always thought the same thing. Probably did that to, 'Torment' us.  :2funny:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

I don't remember the last time I laughed out loud at a game and I have only finished the intro to Planescape. Probably some of the best writing I have seen in any game.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

jamus34

Quote from: Gusington on April 12, 2021, 07:08:47 AM
I don't remember the last time I laughed out loud at a game and I have only finished the intro to Planescape. Probably some of the best writing I have seen in any game.

Ohhh man Gus you are missing out. Planescape Torment was probably one of the best RPG's to come out from that era and that has it going up against the likes of BG 2, Fallout and Fallout 2.

Almost every character is extremely well written and they have interesting backstories.
Insert witty comment here.

Gusington

I dive back in tonight!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd