Holiday Damage Thread

Started by -budd-, November 27, 2015, 04:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anguille

Don't expect to buy anything....*cross-fingers*

smittyohio

Quote from: Nefaro on December 01, 2015, 09:15:12 AM
Quote from: RedArgo on December 01, 2015, 08:20:17 AM

Lastly, Jarhead, have you tried SFC yet?  I have the disks and it locks up after a few seconds on Windows 8, haven't tried it on 10 yet.  I've also read some messages on GOG that their version may have the same issue. Thanks.

I've tried multiple different titles in the SFC series on Win7-64.

The only one that has worked perfectly, with no crashes or freezes, has been the digital version of SFC2 Orion Pirates.  Even the newly modified version of SFC2 EAW has problems which haven't been fixed yet.  I suspect picking up an old physical copy of OP, or any others, will still cause problems due to any disk-check DRM + modern OSes.  But good news!  You can get a d/l and key on the cheap.

I picked it up at Dynaverse for $6:

http://www.dynaverse.net/market/5-star-trek-starfleet-command-orion-pirates.html

Been running just fine on my Win7 notebook and a desktop PC, both with Nvidia cards.   O0

There's no telling now long GOG will milk the original SFC Gold for, before they put up EAW & OP.  So I didn't wait.  Orion Pirates is pretty much the same as EAW but used a slightly newer DirectX IIRC (probably why it still works okay), has slightly improved ship textures & effects, and has additional pirate cartel campaigns along with the old dynamic campaigns for the EAW races.   I think they tweaked the random missions in the campaigns and the AI to be better, too, because I've found the computer-controlled opponents to be deadlier in OP.

Is there any reason to get both EAW and OP?   The OP description makes it sound like it might make EAW unnecessary, but I might be misreading it.

airboy

Quote from: airboy on November 27, 2015, 11:47:11 PM
I've bought Distant Worlds - Universe.

If gog has a big sale, I'll probably buy 4-5 things.

Gog Sale is upon us:
I bought:
Call of Cthulhu - both Adventure Games
Rebel Galaxy
Pacific General
all on sale

plus
Toonstruck which was in my cart

For another almost $30

This puts me at +$55 for the sale season!