Witcher 3 or Skyrim

Started by acctingman, November 15, 2016, 12:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

So, I bought Skyrim but because of other obligations I haven't really fired it up.

Witcher 3 looks pretty awesome to me. I'm guessing the combat styles are similar?

So, if you had to choose to play one FIRST, which would it be?  :coolsmiley:

magnus

To me, the Witcher blows all other RPGs out of the water.

I was actually sad to come to the end of the story.

Toonces

I'm like the only person on the planet that couldn't get into any of the Witcher games.  And I really did try.

I do intend to give Witcher 3 yet another chance in the near future, but for me Skyrim was one of the best computer games I've ever played ever.  If you already own it, this is a no-brainer.

The Witcher books are very good, though.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JasonPratt

If the combat style of Witcher 3 is a developed version of Witcher 1, they are not similar to Skyrim (and the Elder Scrolls series more generally). In Witcher 1, your character Geralt takes care of the combat 'upkeep' things by himself, and only requires you to make specific decisions about when to change stances or to press an attack or to try a spell. It's a little more hands off. In Skyrim, you do it all manually (as with most such games).

But I don't know how much the game has been changed down through W3 (yet).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ghostryder

Witcher 3's combat is very "Arcade" -- this isn't so in Skyrim. Although i think Witcher 3 is overall the better game in terms of characters, lore, quests and story Skyrim's combat is the better version for my tastes. You swing with your sword and block with your shield...it's simple. 2 keys to manage. In addition it doesn't jar you out of the world-the combat feels part of the world. The witcher, on the hand pulls you into the world until combat---it's combat seems more fitting for a console version of Mortal Kombat. Rediculous moves and leaps paired with multiple buttons only the most action hungry gamer could want- The first two games being almost rediculously action'ish whereas the last game most players can manage and put up with it. But just when you get pulled in the combat reminds you it's just game.

Neither game has combat that'll win awards but of the two Skyrim combat is far more 'natural' whereas the witcher it's action hero garbage. That's just an opinion coming from someone who doesn't own an XBOX or Playstation as is so old 'twitch' combat seems a cheat against me. RPG's to me are wargames---your stats your moral and experience, your bow your artillery and your sword your rifle. Your ability to hit and how much damage determined by stats and not how fast I mash buttons. Party RPGs really are squad combat games using different labels but doing the same thing. It's awful hard to put this into a single player first person RPG---which is why I mostly consider these games single player action adventures---but some may argue that's splitting hairs. Coming from table top RPGs before there was computer RPGs I don't think so. Even the very early Wizardry games that were first person had parties-the same tactical squad combat in the first person.

acctingman

Thanks everyone.

I haven't played Skyrim enough to base an opinion, however I can say I do NOT like action oriented combat (al....console gaming type).

I prefer turn based RPG's, but I wanted to branch out a little. Think I'll pass on Witcher 3 or pick it up in a couple years on a $10 sale  O0

Rayfer

Quote from: Toonces on November 15, 2016, 12:35:30 PM
I'm like the only person on the planet that couldn't get into any of the Witcher games.  And I really did try.

I do intend to give Witcher 3 yet another chance in the near future, but for me Skyrim was one of the best computer games I've ever played ever.  If you already own it, this is a no-brainer.

The Witcher books are very good, though.

+1

Sir Slash

I've only played Skyrim so can't comment on Witcher but I'm thinking Skyrim is the longer of the 2 games because it's open-ended where you can just wander around climbing a mountain or picking flowers all day. You can save some time by just sticking strictly to the main story line but you'd miss so much of the game's strength by doing that. Ghosty's point is a good one, I thought I would have to use a controller pad to play Skyrim but I found-out mouse and keyboard works just fine. Plus you can play any way you want just by whatever actions you choose, you get better at. Meaning you can go Fighter, Rouge, or Spellcaster or all 3 just by doing those things in the game. And... it's got DRAGONS. But no naked women--- sorry.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

acctingman

Wait......Skyrim doesn't have any naked women???   :o

Greybriar

Quote from: acctingman on November 15, 2016, 02:15:33 PM
Wait......Skyrim doesn't have any naked women???   :o

Try Watch Dogs 2. According to Telefrog over at the Qt3 forums: "Watch Dogs 2, Ubisoft's open-world hacktivist game out today on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One [Watch Dogs 2 is also available for the PC], has nudity. We're not just talking topless women in strip clubs like Grand Theft Auto V or even the bland Playboy images in Mafia III. This is full genital nudity on modeled characters. It's also not limited to specific areas or missions. As some early players of the game have discovered, some random non-player characters on the streets of virtual San Francisco are "going commando" as the kids say. Knocking people over while running through the streets (an activity open-world game players love) sometimes results in unintentional X-rated up-skirt views. Eurogamer has some not-safe-for-work8 details."
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

mirth

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 15, 2016, 02:11:55 PM
I've only played Skyrim so can't comment on Witcher but I'm thinking Skyrim is the longer of the 2 games because it's open-ended where you can just wander around climbing a mountain or picking flowers all day.

Supposedly, the open-world environment in Witcher 3 is even larger than Skyrim.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Gusington

I loved Skyrim since it was released. Until I played Witcher 3.

I love everything about The Witcher 3. The lore, the combat, the graphics, the contracts, the enemies, the nekkid chicks...there is nothing not to like.

I've put in about 40 hours and the game tells me I have completed about 1/8 of it total.

:notworthy: :notworthy:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I had no idea Witcher was so large and open-ended. I expected a more linear game. I may have to take another look at it now.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GibbyG