Wizards and Warlords

Started by Myrmidon, November 19, 2020, 08:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

I picked this up on because of the comments here. I have not been able to play a whole game yet, but it looks really, really intriguing!
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

ArizonaTank

Quote from: solops on January 14, 2021, 01:33:48 PM
I picked this up on because of the comments here. I have not been able to play a whole game yet, but it looks really, really intriguing!

+1 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Myrmidon

I'm still digging into it and learning.  It's a great game, and the depth continues to surprise me.  The Dev's future plans and constant attention to improving it make it totally worth it to me. 

It's a little laborious, but combing through his guides on the game's Steam forum has revealed a lot of stuff going on under the hood that isn't immediately apparent.  His tooltips in game continue to improve, but his guides he's written on the forum helps out a lot. 

solops

Quote from: Myrmidon on January 14, 2021, 05:48:59 PM
I'm still digging into it and learning.  It's a great game, and the depth continues to surprise me.  The Dev's future plans and constant attention to improving it make it totally worth it to me. 

It's a little laborious, but combing through his guides on the game's Steam forum has revealed a lot of stuff going on under the hood that isn't immediately apparent.  His tooltips in game continue to improve, but his guides he's written on the forum helps out a lot.

+1
I finished a TW Warhammer II campaign and decided to try this game out and now I am hooked! A lot to learn and it reminds me strongly of an updated Master of Magic with an Indie level twist.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Valravn

Quote from: airboy on January 08, 2021, 04:36:01 PM
Having spent a huge amount of time trying to understand the basics of Shadow Empire - I cannot get excited about a deep game without a manual.

I understand how hard it is to write manuals - I wrote two complete course packages largely from scratch because what I needed to teach for the kids success did not exist.  The packages took me years to write and ran hundreds of pages with scores of examples (many with cash flows).

But darn it, the developer should stop and write a manual.  Or cut someone in for a cut of the take to write a manual.

I hope I am not breaking any rules by posting here, but I just stumbled across this thread, and wanted to make a comment. I didn't have a personal account here despite considering myself a grognard - at least I've finished more than one full play-through of the World in Flames board game. So many awesome forums and communities on the internet and not enough time. Anyways, enough excuses for my arrival in this thread.

I am keenly aware that the game very much needs a manual, better/more in-game help/info and a better tutorial. I try hard to set aside some minimum amount of time every week for working on these - but I'm always fighting to find the right balance of splitting my time between working on game improvements, extending mod support, fixing bugs in a timely fashion and interacting with the player community on where to take the game. So there's a while yet to go before I have turned the basic guide and WIP reference manual into a solid manual. Not that players can use my good intentions in place of a manual if that's what they need - but I just wanted to say that it's not for lack of wanting to provide one that I haven't done so yet. In fact, I look forward to having a printed manual sitting on my shelf and a physical box for the game, even if just for my personal satisfaction.

It was a pleasant experience seeing the kind words in this thread regarding the game and my efforts in developing it. I know it's a bit of a crazy project I've embarked on, and it might not be for everyone right now, but I'm definitely committed to improving the game. It may be a glorious mess in a lot of ways, but it's come a long way, and I'm ever excited and optimistic about where it can go from here.

As I'm always pressed for time, I can't promise exactly when and in how much detail - but if anyone here has any questions for me, I'm happy to answer try and answer.

Jarhead0331

Breaking a rule? To the contrary, we are thrilled to see developers posting here. Welcome. I hope you'll stick around.

Congrats on the success of Wizards and Warlords!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Welcome Valravn! That avatar name elicits a dark primordial horror in my soul.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Just to necro this thread...Steam now have this one 50% off at around £5 which seems pretty good value given the excellent ratings.....only until 1800 hours GMT today though....

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

bobarossa

Been on my wishlist for a while.  Purchased it. Not sure when I'll get to play it. Knee deep in shadow empires.

devoncop

Quote from: bobarossa on June 01, 2021, 12:58:44 PM
Been on my wishlist for a while.  Purchased it. Not sure when I'll get to play it. Knee deep in shadow empires.

If you are only " knee deep" you officially count as an expert.....

Neck deep is how my games in Shadow Empire can best be categorised..... ;)
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

solops

I really like this game. I kind of dropped it for now. As soon as the dev fixes the market/money related stuff that he has promised to I will dive back in. It will be a big task.

Valravn

Quote from: solops on June 01, 2021, 02:03:05 PM
I really like this game. I kind of dropped it for now. As soon as the dev fixes the market/money related stuff that he has promised to I will dive back in. It will be a big task.

Yeah, I started on it, with true supply and demand, advanced city consumption/production mechanics, as the planned main feature of 1.0.1. There weren't really any blockers as such, but the development took so long, that I shelved that task in order to deliver a better pace of updates and get some much needed QoL and AI improvements out.

When I resume the market overhaul, I'll try to figure out a way to incrementally introduce the new system. That's a bit of a challenge considering the paradigm shift, but I'll try to figure out something. Going with the new model for a specific subset of resources could be one way to approach this incremental effort.

But before that I'll probably add set of game setup options: 'no market' ,  'market price multiplier' , 'market availability multiplier'. So if you see this change, don't worry that I'm scaling down the ambitions for the market overhaul. But those settings are a quick way to make the resource system more relevant until I begin rolling out the actual overhaul.

solops

FarAway Sooner

It's a fascinating, complex, sprawling title!  Definitely still a lot of polishing to do, but as is typical for these one-man efforts, it's a labor of love and it shows. 

There are definitely some innovative ideas in play here, several of them such that I've found myself thinking, "Huh?  I wonder why it took 25 years after Master of Magic for somebody to think of that?"  Keep up the good work!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on June 03, 2021, 09:48:21 AM
It's a fascinating, complex, sprawling title!  Definitely still a lot of polishing to do, but as is typical for these one-man efforts, it's a labor of love and it shows. 

There are definitely some innovative ideas in play here, several of them such that I've found myself thinking, "Huh?  I wonder why it took 25 years after Master of Magic for somebody to think of that?"  Keep up the good work!

Can you give some examples? Thanks!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18