War in the east 2 coming soon

Started by Grim.Reaper, February 17, 2021, 09:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocketman

Quote from: Geezer on February 18, 2021, 09:57:14 AM
Quote...And second, I very much enjoyed the first, is there anything significantly different in this sequel that would justify getting it?...

Here are the improvements from the product page:

Enhancements/changes since WitE

3 Full Map Campaigns
1941-45 Campaign (June 22 1941 – 1 August 1945)
Stalingrad to Berlin (November 19 1942 – 4 July 1945)
Vistula to Berlin (13 January 1945 – 1 June 1945)
7 Smaller Operational Scenarios
Velikie Luki '42 (17 November 1942 – 25 January 1943) – The Soviet counterattack to recapture this important rail junction.
Road to Minsk (22 June 1941 – July 2 1941) – The rush to the Dnepr by Army Group Center.
Road to Leningrad (22 June 41 – 8 Oct 41) – Army Group North moves on Leningrad.
The Destruction of Southwest Front (22 June 41 – 15 October 41) – Army Group South and Guderian cause the largest Soviet surrender in the war.
Operation Typhoon 41 (30 September 1941 – 5 January 1942) – The final offensive to take Moscow.
Red Army Resurgent (19 November 1942 – 17 March 1943) – The destruction of the German 6th Army at Stalingrad.
Red God of War (24 November 1942 – 8 February 1943) – The failed Soviet northern offensive.
Improved AI Opponent
Newly re-designed and re-built by Gary Grigsby for War in the East 2
Greatly enhanced Defensive AI performance as well as improved Offensive AI performance

More Accurate Map and Movement rules:
Map based on better projection yields a larger number of hexes in the main combat area (106 hex frontage from Rostov to Leningrad versus 87 in WitE).
Advanced Terrain/Road rules – Road quality in every hex combines with terrain to generate much more realistic impacts of terrain on movement, combat and supplies.
Administrative Movement – Accounts for ability to move rapidly in friendly territory, especially where there are better roads.
Ability to stack additional units into urban and port hexes
Off-Map Theater Boxes and Theater Events:
Theater boxes representing other theaters of the war (North Africa, Italy, etc.), and a full set of events including garrison requirements in the TBs along with other events like partisan operations.
Partisan war now handled with a Soviet Union garrison box, events, and partisan interdiction placed on map.
Enhanced Player Theater Box Control game option that allows players to choose more flexible movement of units between theaters, but at a cost for failing to meet garrison requirements versus benefits for exceeding them.
More accurate historical line up of units, HQs and support units and their historical movement between theaters.
Additional historical campaign events.
Improved Air System incorporating both a more Advanced Air Mode and a Streamlined Air Operational Group Mode
On Map Airbases
Much more realistic Air Combat and Support Resolution compared to War in the East and War in the West.
A separate Air Phase is now used for many air actions, with ground support and transport done in the movement phase.
Advanced Air Mode allows full detailed control of the entire Air War, equivalent to a game within a game.
New "Air Operational Group" Mode which allows you to move Air Groups on the map and provides an easy and streamlined way to manage the air game while focusing on the ground game.  This makes the air game easier to manage even for those players that want full control.
Full AI Air Assist that can run most of the air operations based on just a few orders given by the player to the Air Operational Groups.
More accurate and detailed historical weather model incorporating per-hex Weather changes based on the system developed for War in the West.

Changes in Ground Combat to reflect Historical operations:
New Combat Preparation Points for units allow for build ups for better offensive operations and punish units that are in combat every turn without a rest.
Combat Delay Points account for the time spent fighting in a hex and will slow units that move through a hex where significant combat took place that turn.
Attacks can now deprive defending units of future MPs.
Multi-hex retreats.
Many interface improvements, including new art, reorganized screens, a new Turn Summary and more important information regarding your units and situation brought to the top level for easier discovery and quicker access.
Automated Soviet factory evacuation.
Improved Commander's Report screens with more flexibility and CSV export capability for out of game analysis.
Special designation of Assault HQs allowing Command benefits for offensive armies at the cost of some defensive abilities.
Increased Command cost of integrating multiple nationalities under the same command.
Greater direct attachment of support units to certain Soviet and Axis Allied divisions, along with multi-role units that can be on map or used as support.
New In-Game WitEpedia – Includes Detailed Information and Links concerning units and weapons of the Eastern Front.
Detailed TO&E and Order of Battle Charts with information about many of the units on the Eastern Front.
I like that list of changes. Feared it would be less of a change from the first game. Now I only have to play it more before longing for the next version.

Grim.Reaper

Pre order delayed, something to do with finalizing manual, which they say is 502 pages long...can't wait to see the price for this one:)

Pete Dero

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 23, 2021, 09:09:19 PM
Pre order delayed, something to do with finalizing manual, which they say is 502 pages long...can't wait to see the price for this one:)

Received this today but I think the mail was a mistake :

Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 has been released!

We are sending you this email to let you know that this game has been released!!

Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2       $ 79.99

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Grim.Reaper

No surprise on the $80 price, but if you want the manual and you live in USA, beware of the cost.  To ship to me total cost would be $124 with cheapest shipping since comes from uk and weight.

Not a chance I will be going for that....maybe the game itself some day

Geezer

I'll probably wait for my 50% off coupon in December.  There should be lots of patches by then.   ;)
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

fabius

Deep breath. Obviously price is unsurprising , but still quite an ask.

I suspect that it will be growing in my subconscious for a while. Then rationales like, "its only the price of some top triple A's". "Oh, much less than so many with their growing DLC count." "Spent less on good nights out".
Then an old familiar voice may pop in. "You spent more on a meal for some 'ladies'."
A reasonable voice will pop in less and less "yeah but how  much will you play it?"
"Shut the frac up, it's East Front ! With great new combat rules!" "Oo that manual though" "This will be the ONE, the game that keeps you engaged for years."
"Barbarossa !" Matrix Games website..... "Leningrad, Stalingrad, Rostov," ... the order button.... "Clash of Titans!" ... bank card details....

... "There there, relax, you'll feel better about it shortly. At least it's done, no more taking up space in your mind."

Dammit Carl!

Price doesn't phase me so much now that the Mrs. has a Mini Cooper and the house has spazzed out at the end of last year/first part of this year - $100 plus dollars for a single replacement headlight?  Sure.  13k for a new furnace.  Welp, we do need heat.

Still, I'll hold off for some patching and a chance to see some "Lets Play," action. 

Sir Slash

I'm close to what Fabius  says. I nearly pulled the trigger on WitE 1 when it was on sale just recently but held-off for the promised new additions in this game. We'll see if the wait was worth it.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

stolypin

By the way, there is currently a very thorough "Let's Play" video series on You Tube by Strategy Gaming Dojo that does an excellent job explaining WITE1.  I played WITE1 a few years back, found it a chore, and thus didn't stick with it.  I hope to get back into it with the help of this series.  He states that anyone who learns/knows WITE1 will be set to easily grasp WITE2. 

Wburn

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 03, 2021, 10:02:06 AM
I'm close to what Fabius  says. I nearly pulled the trigger on WitE 1 when it was on sale just recently but held-off for the promised new additions in this game. We'll see if the wait was worth it.
Just to let you know it is on sale with GOG
https://www.gog.com/game/gary_grigsbys_war_in_the_east
23 and some change!

88mmkwk

I've held off buying WitE for a while since I learned that WitE 2 was coming.  I had planned on pre-ordering and was excited to hear that there was an option to include a hardcover full color 500+ page manual.  What I did not expect was that the manual is printed in the UK, and us normally spoiled US buyers have to pay international shipping to get it here in the states.  The manual apparently weighs about 5 pounds and even when you factor in the current pre-order 10% discount, WitE 2 with the hardcover manual shipped to the states comes out to $142.10!!!

With Royal Mail Delivery:
1 item      $91.99
Shipping   $38.70
Tax           $11.41
Total       $142.10

I'm not used to having to pay this much for shipping and have always felt bad for overseas buyers.  Now the shoe is on the other foot, and it likely will be sufficient for me to skip getting this game..... Color me sad.....
Gaming Rig:
HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop w/Pen Support
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz w/16GB RAM
HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 External GPU/Storage Chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and 1TB SSD
27" Dell S2716DG 144Hz 1440p with GSync at 2560x1440

-----------------------------------
"Still here and alive. On kindlenso thisnwill be short.  Of wtf.
Day 3 to.borrow.  weather is bad.  Had first fall; good call on gloves.  Heavy rain tomorrow.ngut check.  Inshall prevail.  Jesus thisnisnworse than a drunk post.  F you kindle."        - Toonces

fabius

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 03, 2021, 10:02:06 AM

Ha I actually searched for Let's Plays after checking the local cost in the basket earlier.
Didn't find any yet, but highly suspect that they are likely to push me over the edge. Or at least make it very much harder to resist !!!

Pete Dero

Sir Slash

I've been watching the Gaming Dojo guy's videos too. They're very detailed and I've learned a bunch. And they're quite recent too, only about 3 months ago or so.  O0  $23.99 Was what the game was selling for on Steam a week ago. Matrix says the game map will be bigger, more area to play and move in. That's both exciting and scary at the same time.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.