Kerbal Space Agency - Advancing technology today, for a better tomorrow.

Started by Jarhead0331, September 25, 2012, 08:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Cool stuff.  I love this sim.

I managed to land on the other smaller moon, on full manual control, after a few busted attempts last year.  The handful of failed attempts was usually due to not bringing enough fuel or forgetting to put landing gear on my lander.  Doah!  I wasn't using a joystick at the time either, so I had some serious throttle issues on descent.  The keyboard keys would either provide not enough or too much thrust for the low gravity and I yo-yo'd a few times before touching down hard and my landing gear snapping.  It just sat there on the engine nozzle.   ;D  Didn't have MechJeb installed at all and just using the mouse & keyboard was pretty brutal.

It was fun to do manually, but I need to install MechJeb to avoid such hair raising moments when I don't want to be under pressure.  I've not fired it up in a long time; since before the campaign stuff was added.  I had been hoping to let that stuff get further patched in & expanded for awhile before digging in.  Is the research/funding stuff filled out enough to enjoy at the moment?

I may hook up my older joystick to my other desktop (plugged into the LED TV) and do some KSP on the big screen sometime.  Should be less trying with that and the mods.  I recall having an issue getting MechJeb activated on one install awhile back, however.  Dunno what I did wrong.

Kushan

Congrats Jarhead.

My Kerbals would be happy just to reach orbit around Kerbal. They either end up going on a quick sub orbital flight or end up on a solar escape trajectory. At least its an improvement over rockets just exploding on the launch pad.

Looks like your using a couple of mods, do you have any you considered mandatory?
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Kushan on May 17, 2014, 02:56:36 PM
Congrats Jarhead.

My Kerbals would be happy just to reach orbit around Kerbal. They either end up going on a quick sub orbital flight or end up on a solar escape trajectory. At least its an improvement over rockets just exploding on the launch pad.

Looks like your using a couple of mods, do you have any you considered mandatory?

Yeah. Core Anvil and KW Rocketry are pretty cool. Add a lot of useful parts. I'm also playing around with American and Soviet Packs that add real space craft and the parts to build them.  Of course, MechJeb is essential for me to achieve anything substantial. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

steve58

Squad has announced that they are moving the Spaceport (mod depository) to Curse.  I've never heard of that site.  Anyone used it before?  Some of the modders aren't happy about the selection and there are rumblings of discontent in the forums...even to the point of creating yet a 3rd site. Hopefully things will settle/resolve and there will only be one site in the end.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: steve58 on May 17, 2014, 03:28:50 PM
Squad has announced that they are moving the Spaceport (mod depository) to Curse.  I've never heard of that site.  Anyone used it before?  Some of the modders aren't happy about the selection and there are rumblings of discontent in the forums...even to the point of creating yet a 3rd site. Hopefully things will settle/resolve and there will only be one site in the end.

Frankly, I'm annoyed they don't use the workshop.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Kushan

Curse mainly hosts MMO mods. I'd rather see mods on workshop or the nexus.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat

Nefaro

I used the Curse client briefly in my Warhammer Online days.  It was easy to d/l and install mods with it but I recall there being some updates that made it more of a pain in the ass to find stuff.  I believe you have to create a login there to d/l (or use the client to d/l stuff) which isn't something people are enamored with.  I can't blame them, as so many other mod sites don't require such hoops.  I'd rather not use Curse, myself, but if it's all we got.. *shrug*

What was wrong with the current mod hosting site, btw?  Someone decide to stop running it? 

As for mods.. has anyone tried the Mission Controller mod that includes the types of financial stuff that will eventually be in the game?  Looks interesting enough in Scott Manley's vid and could add that extra dimension while we wait for the official one:

jomni

That is what Kerbal really lacks.  I got tired of all the sandbox stuff which gives your everything at the start.

I like what these guys are doing:

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 17, 2014, 03:32:21 PM

I agree 100%. Now that I have used workshop for a few games, I'm addicted. It's just makes things so much easier
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on May 17, 2014, 09:50:35 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 17, 2014, 03:32:21 PM

I agree 100%. Now that I have used workshop for a few games, I'm addicted. It's just makes things so much easier

Me too. I was very apprehensive about the workshop at first, but like everything else steam does  it's extremely easy and convenient.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

bob48

I fired it up last night for the first time for ages, and downloaded all the up-dates.

I actually managed to get into orbit AND back down again.........in one piece!
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Kushan

After hundreds of attempts, and the deaths of at least 40 cousins and 30 brothers, all named Jebediah, Jebediah became the first Kerman to achieve a safe orbit around the planet Kerbal. He orbited the planet for one day before returning safely back to the planet.

Jebediah reported seeing his house from here:

Watching the sun disappear behind the planet. Thankfully he reported it reappeared later.

Jebediah reported seeing fire outside the window upon returning. The cause of this will have to be investigated.

Jebediah contemplating the significance of what he has just accomplished or is he just watching to make sure the parachute doesn't detach.

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat

Jarhead0331

I'm trying to get a terrain mapper working. ISA Mapsat does not seem to be compatible with the latest build of KSP and I don't think its author is updating it anymore. So I've switched to SCANsat, which seems to have a lot of potential. I just need to learn how to really use it.

This is one of the biggest problems with a game that has such a prolific mod selection. Everytime the game is updated, many of the mods no longer work. Sometimes they just don't function, sometimes the parts are locked in the ship assembly area and cannot be used and sometimes the broken mod can cause a crash or a game freeze. Finding out which mod is the cause of the glitch can be a hassle in the extreme.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 18, 2014, 05:46:01 PM

This is one of the biggest problems with a game that has such a prolific mod selection. Everytime the game is updated, many of the mods no longer work. Sometimes they just don't function, sometimes the parts are locked in the ship assembly area and cannot be used and sometimes the broken mod can cause a crash or a game freeze. Finding out which mod is the cause of the glitch can be a hassle in the extreme.

The dreaded "Mod Soup" situation.  :buck2:

steve58

There is a new thread over on the Kerbal forums that is causing quite a stir.  A user has found a way to tweak/mod in a 64-bit Unity player so that KSP can use more that 4GB of RAM.  It appears (so far) to have a fairly high success rate.  It may also provide some internal (bits, registers, etc) benefit to users with only 4GB RAM (like me), so I'm going to give it a shot.  It looks fairly simple to try (download Unity 4.3.3, install it, copy over 2 files (back'em up first just in case!), rename 1 file).  Here's the link to the forum thread:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/82118-KSP-64bits-on-Windows-%28this-time-it-s-not-a-request%29

Definitely worth trying out if you have a 64-bit OS, especially if you have more the 4GB Ram and use lots of mods.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)