Kerbal Space Agency - Advancing technology today, for a better tomorrow.

Started by Jarhead0331, September 25, 2012, 08:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

OK, I installed two vanilla copies of KSP 0.23.5 and the 64-bit Unity.  Copied over the 2 required Unity files into one of the vanilla copies of KSP.  Ran some quick simple tests.

Load times:  2:09 (32-bit)                     1:13 (64-bit)
RAM usage:  1,495 KB (32-bit)               1,479 KB (64-bit)

Not sure if this has always been available, but there is also an option to force OpenGL.  I only tried it on the 64-bit KSP/Unity. 

Load times:  1:23 (64-bit)
RAM usage:  700 KB (64-bit)

The OpenGL worked fine and it doesn't look too bad.  I'll have to test it more to see how it works with mods.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Nefaro

I didn't realize the Unity engine was still limited to 32-bit.   :-\

So is KSP typically pushing the ~3.25GB RAM limits of 32bit programming with all the new asteroids & other stuff in the latest versions?

steve58

Supposedly Unity does support 64-bit, but talk on the KSP forums is that the 64-bit versions are still a bit unstable...and the user poll for this Unity 64-bit tweak does tend to support that.  This tweak is only using a 64-bit player.

Unity works with "players", depending on the support they are running on. For now, the only executable supported by Squad is based on the 32-bits version of this player for Windows.
Turns out the 64-bits version of this player works perfectly fine on several computers, either on DirectX or OpenGL.

The ~3.25GB RAM limit is only a problem depending on how many mods you load.  Some of those mods (i.e., Planet Factory) can really eat up your available RAM.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

RooksBailey

Preview vid for .24!

I am very excited for this build!  While I have had fun mucking around in sandbox mode, this game needs more structured gameplay for it to really come alive.  This looks like it is going to fit the bill!  :smitten:
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Nefaro

Quote from: RooksBailey on July 12, 2014, 12:57:38 AM
Preview vid for .24!

I am very excited for this build!  While I have had fun mucking around in sandbox mode, this game needs more structured gameplay for it to really come alive.  This looks like it is going to fit the bill!  :smitten:

I've been waiting for the campaign stuff to come together before really digging in, even though it has been a blast every time I jacked around in sandbox.

Capn Darwin

Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

steve58

Kerbal Space Program: First Contract (v0.24) Now Available!

Kerbal Space Program, the award-winning, indie space agency sim game from Squad, is launching its latest update, Kerbal Space Program: First Contract, as part of its active development cycle. This major release, numbered 0.24, is a substantial advancement in the game's Career Mode, which challenges players to run a space agency.  It is also the first time the game offers a a 64-bit version for Windows via STEAM and the KSP STORE.

http://kerbaldevteam.tumblr.com/post/92083380984/kerbal-space-program-first-contract-now-available

More info and an FAQ

Nefaro

Sweet!  A 64-bit version!

I wonder if it's been thoroughly tested yet. 

steve58

RooksBailey

The release of the new Buzz Aldrin game reminded me of this game, so I decided to jump in and see what changes were implemented over the last few months.  I really like the new economy mode!  Well done!  But I have a question:

I was working my way through one of the early contracts when I picked one whose objective was to test a particular liquid engine AFTER my capsule had splashed down.  I thought this was a strange request and assumed it was going to give me some special piece of flotation equipment to make it possible.  Nope.   :)  So, after a bunch of trial and error, I finally settled on this design:

Probably the weirdest design I ever came up with!   :idiot2:  But that was the only way I could think of to keep the engines out of the water so that they could be fired up after splash-down!  It kinda worked.  I loaded the thing with six parachutes to ease the impact on the water, so nothing broke when I landed.  However, my craft did flop over.  I was doubtful the engines were going to work like that but they did!

LOL!   I actually achieved 4 m/s in the water!   ;D   But then the right engine blew, followed by the left:

Still, I completed the contract!   :2funny:

Anyway, I was wondering if there was an easier way to do this (it took two tries; still not sure why it didn't work the first time I splashed down, but it did the second)?  Or is this just a contract that needs some tweaking, like coming with an inflatable platform or some other piece of equipment.  As it currently is, it seems like a really odd request to ignite an engine after splashdown.   :uglystupid2:  Just curious.

Overall, I have to say that KSP is really shaping up to be an excellent game.  I am curious what the first beta (next update!) is going to bring.  The only thing I would want to see added is something like what that Buzz Aldrin game has: the ability to let your crew and mission control take over some of the operations.  Would be nice to have THE OPTION of turning control of a mission over to your Kerbals and their support teams.  I did recall reading somewhere that Kerbals will be getting real stats in a future update, so I think Squad is moving in that direction.  Fingers crossed!

"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Kushan

After a quick google search found this thread: Test Egninges While Splashed Down

Couple of ways. Add more parachutes so that your decent speed is less then the crash tolerance of the engine.

Or build an symmetrical craft that can be rolled using reaction wheels to the ocean from the space port runway or roll it using rover wheels.

Quote from: RooksBailey on November 03, 2014, 01:40:27 AM
The only thing I would want to see added is something like what that Buzz Aldrin game has: the ability to let your crew and mission control take over some of the operations.

I believe the MechJeb mod will handle a lot of that for you. I have MechJeb installed but don't really use it. Part of the fun for me having to manage both my rockets and various craft already in flight. I would really like to see construction times become a thing. No more go to the VAB or Hanger, build a rocket, then immediately launching.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

RooksBailey

Quote from: Kushan on November 03, 2014, 09:09:24 AM
After a quick google search found this thread: Test Egninges While Splashed Down

Couple of ways. Add more parachutes so that your decent speed is less then the crash tolerance of the engine.

Or build an symmetrical craft that can be rolled using reaction wheels to the ocean from the space port runway or roll it using rover wheels.

Thanks for the link!  I did see the one concerning parachutes - that is why I added six!  :) - but the other one I didn't try.  I never considered a space plane type of design.  Then again, I haven't unlocked enough gear to build one of those. 

QuoteI believe the MechJeb mod will handle a lot of that for you. I have MechJeb installed but don't really use it. Part of the fun for me having to manage both my rockets and various craft already in flight.

I've always heard about that mod but never checked it out.  I think I will since it sounds like what I want.  I like controlling my craft for simple stuff, but I know I am going to need help when it comes to more advanced missions like making it to the moon, etc. 

QuoteI would really like to see construction times become a thing. No more go to the VAB or Hanger, build a rocket, then immediately launching.

That is a good idea!  The game needs better pacing when it comes to building and launching.  I noticed yesterday that I built and launched three rockets in like 30 mins of game time.   ;D  Something wrong with that....

Kushan

Quote from: Kushan on November 03, 2014, 09:09:24 AM
QuoteI would really like to see construction times become a thing. No more go to the VAB or Hanger, build a rocket, then immediately launching.
That is a good idea!  The game needs better pacing when it comes to building and launching.  I noticed yesterday that I built and launched three rockets in like 30 mins of game time.   ;D  Something wrong with that....

I stole the idea from Scott Manley to impose a 5-7 day period between launches. Spreads the pacing of the game out a little bit.

Another thing I'd like to see is alternate launch facilities. With building damage now a thing, having a rocket explode on the launch pad should make it impossible to launch from there until the damage has been repaired.

I need to do a full reinstall of the game and all of my mods. I've encountered a problem with the latest version that as soon as I start my gravity turn, my rocket just keeps turning and starts to tumble end over end. I'm almost certain its got something to with the Farrem Aerospace and Deadly Reentry mods, but for the life of me I can't figure out whats wrong. I'm using standard rockets that I've used since I started playing the game. Even simple capsule + fuel tank + engine rockets are doing it. Adjusting the throttle doesn't seem to phase it either. Hoping a simple reinstall will fix it. I really don't want to have to go through mod by mod to find what the issue is.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat

RooksBailey

Quote from: Kushan on November 03, 2014, 03:26:23 PM
I stole the idea from Scott Manley to impose a 5-7 day period between launches. Spreads the pacing of the game out a little bit.

Another thing I'd like to see is alternate launch facilities. With building damage now a thing, having a rocket explode on the launch pad should make it impossible to launch from there until the damage has been repaired.

That is a good idea, too!  What I would like to see most of all is a simulator mode.  I just had a tough contract where I needed to fire a prototype engine at a low altitude (no higher than 3800 meters) and at a high velocity (290 m/s).  This was very tough since I needed a rocket that could accelerate very quickly before it broke the ceiling.   It took like 24 tries before I got the right design, and even then it was dumb luck.  That was when I started thinking that KSP needs a sim mode.  Really, what we have right now acts JUST LIKE a sim mode in the sense that we can instantly build a craft, instantly launch it, and if necessary, "revert" back to assembly/launch if something goes wrong.  They should take all of this and call it a simulator (maybe change the graphics to wire frames or something sim-y).  In this mode, the player can experiment endlessly without cost or danger.  However, once the player is happy with his design and has practiced a mission, he should then need to submit his rocket design to the VAB where it will be slowly built over a period of days.  Once on the actual launch pad, the player is committed and can no longer revert to a previous point if something goes wrong...just like in real life (albeit, reloading from a save point would still be okay if the player wishes).  I think this would be a good way to both make the pacing more believable, as well as making the actual missions much more tense. 

QuoteI need to do a full reinstall of the game and all of my mods. I've encountered a problem with the latest version that as soon as I start my gravity turn, my rocket just keeps turning and starts to tumble end over end. I'm almost certain its got something to with the Farrem Aerospace and Deadly Reentry mods, but for the life of me I can't figure out whats wrong. I'm using standard rockets that I've used since I started playing the game. Even simple capsule + fuel tank + engine rockets are doing it. Adjusting the throttle doesn't seem to phase it either. Hoping a simple reinstall will fix it. I really don't want to have to go through mod by mod to find what the issue is.

I am always careful with mods.  With most games, I usually only use one or two at most because I know how delicate they can be.  I learned that the hard way when my modded version of Skyrim stopped working suddenly, ruining hours of questing.  >:(   

I did install the MechJeb mod today, though.  :)  I suspect this mod is going to be officially incorporated at some point.

Kushan

Quote from: RooksBailey on November 03, 2014, 09:59:47 PM
I am always careful with mods.  With most games, I usually only use one or two at most because I know how delicate they can be.  I learned that the hard way when my modded version of Skyrim stopped working suddenly, ruining hours of questing.  >:(   

I did install the MechJeb mod today, though.  :)  I suspect this mod is going to be officially incorporated at some point.

Despite all the modding I've done to Skyrim, I only had one game that really broke. But I abused that save a lot, installing, updating, and uninstalling mods at will.

Just like Skyrim, I find the vanilla KSP is good, modded KSP is even....better when it works and it usually does. After using mods like Farram Aerospace and Deadly Reentry I have a hard time going back to vanilla.

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat