Kerbal Space Agency - Advancing technology today, for a better tomorrow.

Started by Jarhead0331, September 25, 2012, 08:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinetree

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 04, 2015, 06:15:59 AM
Quote from: bbmike on May 04, 2015, 05:35:08 AM
Hopefully all of your Kerbals are surviving all of these tests.  ;D

Actually, they are. Once the tumble begins, I'm able to disengage the engine and separate the command module from the tumbling rocket. The command module is then able to recover stability and make it back to land, or sea, in one piece. I do feel bad for jebediah kermin though. He has tested this failure of a design at least 8 times.
I don't think Jeb will mind, he loves that kind of stuff. I bet he was grinning like a maniac through it all..
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

FarAway Sooner

Did you remember to secure all your on-board office furniture to a bulk-head?  I've thought a desk-on-wheels would be a great utility, but the implementation details have been proving harder.

8)

Huw the Poo

Hhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggg <- that's the sound of me trying to resist buying this game.

I've bought too many games recently, some of which don't even bloody work.  But KSP looks so goooooooood. :(

Barthheart

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 04, 2015, 11:19:41 AM
Hhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggg <- that's the sound of me trying to resist buying this game.

I've bought too many games recently, some of which don't even bloody work.  But KSP looks so goooooooood. :(

LOL! That's the same sound I make every time I read this thread.  :P

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 04, 2015, 11:19:41 AM

I think the game is revolutionary. It is a must have.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Huw the Poo

Yeah, it's probably top of my wish list right now.  Let's see how long I last...

sandman2575

"Revolutionary" is exactly right. There's nothing else like KSP. It's breathtakingly original, and tremendous fun. (It's also very challenging, IMO)  I wish even a fraction of devs of space-themed games took the 'outside the box' thinking approach of Squad.

Agree this is an essential game. And that's from someone who takes a fairly ruthlessly minimalist approach to 'games that MUST be on my HD.'

So really, Huw, you have no choice but to go buy this RIGHT NOW...    O0

steve58

+1 on the "Revolutionary".

Huw, I'd have to say that your timing is not so good.  The price for KSP just jumped to ~$40 pretty much everywhere.  You might be able to get it cheaper on Greenmangaming if any of their vouchers work for KSP.  If I had to guess, I'd bet it'll be on sale somewhere within a month (if you can wait, I know I couldn't  O:-))
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

BanzaiCat

I don't own it yet though I've seen plenty of YouTube vids on it to know it's staying on my wishlist until the next super sale. :)

Then it shall be bought.

Huw the Poo

I'll try to hold on for the next sale, but unless I get distracted by something, this will be the next game I buy.

Have any of you guys posted any videos?

sandman2575

Anyone else try making a go of "Career Mode"?

It doesn't detract anything from my amazement of this game -- but I'm finding Career Mode somewhat more 'frustrating' than 'hard but fun.'  The Tech Tree needs some serious tweaking, as more than a few have been pointing out over on the KSP forums. The components that some early advancements open up are sometimes pretty puzzling and not very useful, while some essential components (like the "Terrier" liquid-fuel engine) are too far down the tree -- not to mention simple things like ladders so your Kerbals can easily get back on board after surface EVA.

I like Career Mode because I like the limitations it places on you to 'make do with what you've got'. But it seems that what you've got to make do with, in the early stages of the game, could be much better thought out.

I finally managed to rendezvous two craft in orbit at 0 relative velocity last night. By the skin of my teeth (i.e. fuel and electrical charge nearly empty on the intercepting craft).  Game is hard, but man do you get a sense of accomplishment from figuring these things out...

@Huw -- check out Scott Manley's vids on YouTube -- they're excellent.

Nefaro

Quote from: sandman2575 on May 04, 2015, 01:09:35 PM

.. check out Scott Manley's vids on YouTube -- they're excellent.

This.

He started making new Tutorial-ish vids for the official release version's Career Mode.  O0

Huw the Poo

I will, thanks - very interested in videos from our very own Grogs though. :)

Jarhead0331

I used to be able to build simple rockets and get them into orbit regularly. I've even made it to the mun and back. However, since I started playing again, I'm finding it much more difficult to build a craft that is stable and not prone to spinning out of control. I'm assuming they have adjusted the physics making it much more realistic since I last played.

The most frustrating thing is, I really can't figure out what is causing the problem. I've tried all different sorts of combinations, but the problem is consistent, the only difference is the altitude in which it starts to occur.

I've loaded some of the stock ships and I'm able to fly them into orbit just fine. They don't look much different in design than the ships I'm building so I'm totally out of ideas.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Capn Darwin

Jarhead0331, I just uninstalled and reinstalled last night to get a clean build of 1.0.2 and clean out some old mods (pre beta stuff) and built a simple rocket. It was running good and straight until it hit a point around 20km and just fell over and started to tumble. That looks like a bug to me. With the atmosphere getting thin and gravity falling off I can't think of any reason for it to suddenly tip over. I'll have to test out a rocket with no payload and separating nosecone to see if that is the problem part.

Very weird bug.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.