Kerbal Space Agency - Advancing technology today, for a better tomorrow.

Started by Jarhead0331, September 25, 2012, 08:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Capn Darwin on May 05, 2015, 05:36:17 AM
Jarhead0331, I just uninstalled and reinstalled last night to get a clean build of 1.0.2 and clean out some old mods (pre beta stuff) and built a simple rocket. It was running good and straight until it hit a point around 20km and just fell over and started to tumble. That looks like a bug to me. With the atmosphere getting thin and gravity falling off I can't think of any reason for it to suddenly tip over. I'll have to test out a rocket with no payload and separating nosecone to see if that is the problem part.

Very weird bug.

Interesting. If it's a bug I'm going to be really pissed because I've risked my marriage trying to solve this problem. It's really eating at me.

I even simplified my design by making a single stage rocket. Just a pod, fuel tanks and a motor, and I had the same damn problem. I'd think if this was a bug though, the Internet would be abuzz. I'll have to check again to see if there is any word on this. As of last night there wasn't.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Nefaro

I've not played the release version yet.  Figured there would be patches & tweaks for any issues in the latest version and it's patches & tweaks.  Vicious cycle!

Looking forward to it, but it sounds like they added more physics changes in the release update.  Between that reddit post Jarhead linked mentioning recent atmosphere fixes, and the mention of inevitable rocket tumbling here, I'm gonna wait awhile before diving in.  I've been doing that with most of the new releases I've purchased lately.  ???

Huw the Poo

Wow, those comments on reddit are pretty damning.  Glad I exercised a little patience for once in my life!

Capn Darwin

Sounds like you can edit the handful of parameters for atmosphere and put them back to 1.0. I may test that tonight.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 05, 2015, 09:14:41 AM
Wow, those comments on reddit are pretty damning.  Glad I exercised a little patience for once in my life!

Despite the frustration I am having with the hot fixes, I don't think it is fair to lambast the development team who has created a spectacular one-of-a-kind product. All through early access, this game was a joy to play. They may need to do some tweaking now, and I have every faith in them that what needs to be fixed, will be fixed. I still would not hesitate with a purchase.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

MikeGER

could the problem has something to do with alignment of center of mass and thrust vector of your spacecraft generating a small torques. in addition when the tanks empty the center of mass shifts and also the 'stabilization effect' of drag (the surfaces of the rocket) of the thinner and thinner atmosphere vanishes with altitude. 
if they also had changed the parameters of the atmosphere, it has altered the altitude were the drag doesn't compensate torque any more

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

sandman2575

Sorry if I overlooked this, but to raise a somewhat simple-minded question -- JH, are you using SAS with your launches?  Probably not good for me in the long run, but I find myself only using the pilots -- Jeb and Valentina -- for my craft, since only pilots have 'native' SAS ability (and I haven't unlocked the SAS modules yet).  Without SAS, launches are extremely hard for me to control -- with SAS, I can get into orbit pretty easily, using standard designs and following the usual procedures for gravity turn.

Philippe

And now for the really simple-minded question.

Does it make any sense to attempt to play this game without a joystick?

[I used to own a very nice one, along with throttle and rudder pedals, but they were casualties of a very sudden move.  My current living arrangements preclude the possibility of replacing them].
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

sandman2575

I play KSP completely with mouse and keyboard, without any problem.  I do use a stick for flight sims however.

Nefaro

Quote from: Philippe on May 05, 2015, 12:19:54 PM
And now for the really simple-minded question.

Does it make any sense to attempt to play this game without a joystick?

[I used to own a very nice one, along with throttle and rudder pedals, but they were casualties of a very sudden move.  My current living arrangements preclude the possibility of replacing them].

I haven't played in quite awhile but the last time I did, it was using just mouse & keyboard.

It was often okay for many maneuvers but insufficient for my last manual landing on Minmus.  The gravity is so low on such a small moon that adjusting throttle with they keys wasn't fine enough (and to a lesser extent the attitude adjustments needed to be more minute too).  I ended up constantly going up & down because I couldn't get the throttle fine-tuned enough until I finally gave up and just let it land harder than I wanted.  Knocked the nozzle off my thruster on landing and realized I would need a proper throttle (and probably a stick) for more fine manual control in the future.  Without it, there may be some cases where using keyboard controls is just too much hamfisting.

steve58

JH, not really sure what the problem could be.  I can get a rocket with a good sized payload up into a 100Km orbit without too much difficulty (thanks to MechJeb2).  However, I'm just in the sandbox, not messing with career/science.  I'm also using the latest version of KSP (1.0.2) and the latest dev version of MechJeb2 (442).  I just flew a space station core up using this rocket:

Its all vanilla parts with the exception of the Procedural Fairings.  It also has one Adv Reaction Wheel just under the fairings.  Perhaps one of the mods you're using hasn't been updated for 1.x? 
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: steve58 on May 05, 2015, 12:51:59 PM
JH, not really sure what the problem could be.  I can get a rocket with a good sized payload up into a 100Km orbit without too much difficulty (thanks to MechJeb2).  However, I'm just in the sandbox, not messing with career/science.  I'm also using the latest version of KSP (1.0.2) and the latest dev version of MechJeb2 (442).  I just flew a space station core up using this rocket:

Its all vanilla parts with the exception of the Procedural Fairings.  It also has one Adv Reaction Wheel just under the fairings.  Perhaps one of the mods you're using hasn't been updated for 1.x?

Can you take a look at the blue prints I posted on the last page and tell me if anything jumps put at you as being problematic?

I only have 4 mods installed. Mechjeb. Chatterer. Infernal Robotics and KW Rocketry. Although many of the parts used in the vessel depicted in the blueprint are from KW Rocketry, I have also removed those components and tried with a very simple vanilla rocket. Still had the problem.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

steve58

I looked at the BPs and didn't really see anything that'd make me say "that's it!"  That Kronal Vessel Viewer is nice, but it doesn't label every part.  Maybe you can send/post the .craft file and I can try it on my 1.0.2 install.  I can load up KWR and see what happens.  Also, if we're not running the same ver of KSP and MJ, that'd probably throw the results off, but it'd still be interesting to see what'd your rocket would do on my install...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)